Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:36 pm 

I went to this show last night not knowing what to expect. His new kit was touted as being, "world's biggest drum kit." But I was glad Terry performed compositional and melodic drumming, instead of just showing off like a teenager, first learning to play by flaunting whatever chops they had at the time and throwing in a few fills here or there. Bozzio also had a few percussion instruments set up on stage left and right. The "black box" on stage left, consisted of just that. And on stage right, there was stationed an electronic pad with, "about a dozen settings." Terry poly-rhythmically constructed unique patterns and improvised compositions with both, as well as with his monstrous kit. At one point during the first set, a fan yelled out a few questions for him. Terry was polite but clearly wanted the guy to be quiet. Then another fan yelled out, "Shut the fuck up!" And that basically ended that. Both sets were 50 minutes each. And there was a 15 minute intermission.

I enjoyed it. And was happy that he gets to make a living playing drums.

The Rio Theatre holds 420 people and it was about 80% full.

Here's a shot of the VIP pic from his facebook site. My old friend Paul is in it (the one wearing the Vai shirt...long time, no talk!):

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988