Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are you a Deadhead...?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm 

I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.

People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

No. Unless you consider meandering 2nd rate blues music to be the equal of professional musicianship.

"Hey, like, if you go to all the Dead concerts, in 1 of 3 the band will be like in sync and really grooving and shit!" -actual quote from a Deadhead manger of mine. He used to light up after the store closed, right there in the office.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I HAVE TO pick it up! The obvious question you pose is "Just how much do you need to smoke to enjoy or at least tolerate all of their albums?". Europe '72 has been a favorite album since I first got the triple vinyl in the 80s. But, nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

You know I'm a kidder Arkay. I'm sure there are Dead fans out there that have never partaken. But I haven't met one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm 

...nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

Anthem Of The Sun is my absolute favorite Grateful Dead album. Their first album is my second favorite. Live/Dead is my third favorite. I don't have any other favorites, only some that I prefer over many. I love their live cover of All Along The Watchtower.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm 

i like the Dead , very accomplished musicians, some lps i like better than others, some live shows were great some not, same with airplane. As far as the musicians, I prefer Garcia/ Grisman , and Hot Tuna to JA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm 

I can't claim to be one. In fact I loathed that band for a couple of decades. I just thought that they were all long drawn out thinly played jams. I didn't have a full understanding of some of their other things. However I realize that my stubborn attitude is changing bit by bit and I will sometimes check out some of their Sirius XM channel for about 50 miles while cruising down the road. If I had to pick a GD era in which I'd like to explore more it would be 1970-1973.

My leaf could turn over.

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 am 

The only Dead I have repeatedly played is Anthem of the Sun, and American Beauty.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:

NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

Don't be a party-pooper! I like the Dead quite a bit, especially their 'jazzier' material such as Eyes of the World and Help on the Way / Slipknot!. Blues for Allah is my favorite album. Mars Hotel is a great album too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:11 am 

Not really my cup o tea, but a friend of mine recommended this - he's RAVING about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguGHFOnzaA#t=36
TT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:14 pm 

The correlation? They play similar instruments and frank probably influenced every electric rock band that ever existed. Other than that I don't know. I got into them around Europe 72' / workingmans dead ; solid albums. Showed us kids that country music could be cool with free improv in the middle of them. Their shows were an absolute happening. You felt the energy it was epic as they say. I denounced them from about 85 till recently. I just couldn't be part of the church of the dead. I mean we already had Hendrix to idolize I didn't need those goofballs.I would not let their music near me. Couldn't stand to hear another note or see another tripped out trustafarian in smelly patchouli and patched clothes embroidered in skulls and roses. It was superficial to me when there was so much more music I was interested in. I needed to experience and learn much more. Apparently heroin hit that scene and destroyed it. That being said coming back to their music is just fine. There are good songs. robert hunter Is a brilliant lyricist, and have some cool odd time signature things. Theres substance there.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm 

I Wont buy one of they Albums too save my life :evil: :mrgreen:
Boring outdated Crap.

Though looking at Garcia Play it Looks like he forgot more than way above average :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzawDpF72eg
Grateful Dead - Live at Farm Aid 1986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 pm 

I quite enjoy "Europe 72'" as well. :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm 

Their business practices suck now. Let's release half the demand we have for each release, so we can create an overblown used market on the internet. I'd like to think Garcia wouldn't approve of that shit, but who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm 

Me not so much, but I have been heavily influenced by a Dead cover band that plays every Friday night at the Hotel I stay at in Long Beach when I am in So Cal, they are very good and considered one of the better Dead cover bands, and they draw a huge crowd every week. The guitarist is excellent!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I HAVE TO pick it up! The obvious question you pose is "Just how much do you need to smoke to enjoy or at least tolerate all of their albums?". Europe '72 has been a favorite album since I first got the triple vinyl in the 80s. But, nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

I pretty much completely stopped listening to the Dead after high school (around the time I quit drugs). The only exception is Anthem of the Sun. It is the only album of theirs I really got into for any significant period of time and the only one I have listened to in the last couple decades.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm 

I know Rock Scully, who was the Grateful Dead's manager for about twenty years. One time I asked him if he had any connection to Frank Zappa. He told me about the time the Dead were playing at the Cafe Au Go Go at the same time the Mothers were playing next door at the Garrick. He said Herb Cohen came over in the middle of their set and made a big stink about how the Dead were too loud and needed to turn it down.

He also mentioned that during this run, the Dead were staying at the infamous Chelsea Hotel; which just happened to be the same place where the Mothers were staying - except for Frank, of course. He and Gail had rented a brownstone uptown. Frank had heard through his sources that certain members of his band were hanging out after hours with the Grateful Dead. So he kept calling to make sure his guys weren't doing bad things.

There were other things he told me about Frank, but I won't mention them here...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

UIC Pavilion (University of Illinois)
Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984

Zappa commented in an interview when asked about Jerry Garcia: "We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:

Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984

Zappa commented in an interview when asked about Jerry Garcia: "We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set."
I'd say FZ made his opinion of the Dead abundantly clear with that! :mrgreen:

--Bat 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 am 

Batchainmovie wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984

I'd say FZ made his opinion of the Dead abundantly clear with that! :mrgreen:

--Bat 8)

Or, perhaps, they needed to hit the road to get to their job for the next day's show at Cincinnati Gardens in Ohio.
Time marches on, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 am 

The correlation can be found in the time they were active (1966-first half of '90s circa), and in the importance of playing live for them
I also think that both the Dead and FZ believed in the power of music, they both tried to open the minds of their listeners (obviously, with different point of views...), and they both (Garcia and FZ) had a big music personality that it's impossible to find nowadays.
Lucky who saw both of them alive.
I just saw FZ in 84, 'cause nobody gave me a ride to the Grateful Dead concert, oh rats!
Anyway I'd like FZ had the same live discography of the Dead to choose from: 36 Dick's Picks, 17 Road Trips, 11 Dave Picks and 46 live albums (not counting the digital downloads...).