Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Are you a Deadhead...?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?







.

_________________
Yarglaa wrote:
not liking Grand Wazoo has to be trolling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Between the Badges
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15002
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.


People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15002
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?
.


No. Unless you consider meandering 2nd rate blues music to be the equal of professional musicianship.

"Hey, like, if you go to all the Dead concerts, in 1 of 3 the band will be like in sync and really grooving and shit!" -actual quote from a Deadhead manger of mine. He used to light up after the store closed, right there in the office.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 3223
Location: Between the Badges
calvin2hikers wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.


People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I HAVE TO pick it up! The obvious question you pose is "Just how much do you need to smoke to enjoy or at least tolerate all of their albums?". Europe '72 has been a favorite album since I first got the triple vinyl in the 80s. But, nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15002
You know I'm a kidder Arkay. I'm sure there are Dead fans out there that have never partaken. But I haven't met one.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 573
Location: Over there! (last)
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
...nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

Anthem Of The Sun is my absolute favorite Grateful Dead album. Their first album is my second favorite. Live/Dead is my third favorite. I don't have any other favorites, only some that I prefer over many. I love their live cover of All Along The Watchtower.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3552
i like the Dead , very accomplished musicians, some lps i like better than others, some live shows were great some not, same with airplane. As far as the musicians, I prefer Garcia/ Grisman , and Hot Tuna to JA.

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 923
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation


Hell yes.

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 5415
Location: Birthplace of Grand Funk Railroad & Mr Don Preston
I can't claim to be one. In fact I loathed that band for a couple of decades. I just thought that they were all long drawn out thinly played jams. I didn't have a full understanding of some of their other things. However I realize that my stubborn attitude is changing bit by bit and I will sometimes check out some of their Sirius XM channel for about 50 miles while cruising down the road. If I had to pick a GD era in which I'd like to explore more it would be 1970-1973.

My leaf could turn over.

_________________
*********************************************************************

Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 am
Posts: 595
The only Dead I have repeatedly played is Anthem of the Sun, and American Beauty.
:smoke:

_________________
"Voodoo Butter Underpants...
heh, heh... the pants that
nearly broke Tommy Mars' neck."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6268
Location: Your Mom's Box
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?







.


NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am
Posts: 507
jaypfunk wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?


NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

Don't be a party-pooper! I like the Dead quite a bit, especially their 'jazzier' material such as Eyes of the World and Help on the Way / Slipknot!. Blues for Allah is my favorite album. Mars Hotel is a great album too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 1698
Location: south midlands, UK
Not really my cup o tea, but a friend of mine recommended this - he's RAVING about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguGHFOnzaA#t=36
TT

_________________
and I know, I think
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 299
The correlation? They play similar instruments and frank probably influenced every electric rock band that ever existed. Other than that I don't know. I got into them around Europe 72' / workingmans dead ; solid albums. Showed us kids that country music could be cool with free improv in the middle of them. Their shows were an absolute happening. You felt the energy it was epic as they say. I denounced them from about 85 till recently. I just couldn't be part of the church of the dead. I mean we already had Hendrix to idolize I didn't need those goofballs.I would not let their music near me. Couldn't stand to hear another note or see another tripped out trustafarian in smelly patchouli and patched clothes embroidered in skulls and roses. It was superficial to me when there was so much more music I was interested in. I needed to experience and learn much more. Apparently heroin hit that scene and destroyed it. That being said coming back to their music is just fine. There are good songs. robert hunter Is a brilliant lyricist, and have some cool odd time signature things. Theres substance there.

_________________
Stop Plate Techtonics!!
http://www.myspace.com/originalfacelift
http://www.balkanmusic.org/
http://thesurfonics.com/index.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6939
Location: South wales
I Wont buy one of they Albums too save my life :evil: :mrgreen:
Boring outdated Crap.

Though looking at Garcia Play it Looks like he forgot more than way above average :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzawDpF72eg
Grateful Dead - Live at Farm Aid 1986

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:08 am
Posts: 595
I quite enjoy "Europe 72'" as well. :smoke:

_________________
"Voodoo Butter Underpants...
heh, heh... the pants that
nearly broke Tommy Mars' neck."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 1703
Location: Huntingdon, TN
Their business practices suck now. Let's release half the demand we have for each release, so we can create an overblown used market on the internet. I'd like to think Garcia wouldn't approve of that shit, but who knows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 20745
Location: Somewhere in time
Me not so much, but I have been heavily influenced by a Dead cover band that plays every Friday night at the Hotel I stay at in Long Beach when I am in So Cal, they are very good and considered one of the better Dead cover bands, and they draw a huge crowd every week. The guitarist is excellent!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Atlanta
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.


People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I HAVE TO pick it up! The obvious question you pose is "Just how much do you need to smoke to enjoy or at least tolerate all of their albums?". Europe '72 has been a favorite album since I first got the triple vinyl in the 80s. But, nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...


I pretty much completely stopped listening to the Dead after high school (around the time I quit drugs). The only exception is Anthem of the Sun. It is the only album of theirs I really got into for any significant period of time and the only one I have listened to in the last couple decades.

_________________
“The power of pop music to corrupt and putrify the minds of world youth are virtually limitless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
I know Rock Scully, who was the Grateful Dead's manager for about twenty years. One time I asked him if he had any connection to Frank Zappa. He told me about the time the Dead were playing at the Cafe Au Go Go at the same time the Mothers were playing next door at the Garrick. He said Herb Cohen came over in the middle of their set and made a big stink about how the Dead were too loud and needed to turn it down.

He also mentioned that during this run, the Dead were staying at the infamous Chelsea Hotel; which just happened to be the same place where the Mothers were staying - except for Frank, of course. He and Gail had rented a brownstone uptown. Frank had heard through his sources that certain members of his band were hanging out after hours with the Grateful Dead. So he kept calling to make sure his guys weren't doing bad things.

There were other things he told me about Frank, but I won't mention them here...

_________________
_________________Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2358
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

UIC Pavilion (University of Illinois)
Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984


Zappa commented in an interview when asked about Jerry Garcia: "We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm
Posts: 277
Location: N. of Boston, MA USA
downer mydnyte wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

UIC Pavilion (University of Illinois)
Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984


Zappa commented in an interview when asked about Jerry Garcia: "We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set."
I'd say FZ made his opinion of the Dead abundantly clear with that! :mrgreen:

--Bat 8)

_________________
"In my lifetime I have met too many people who were educated beyond their intelligence."-Arthur C. Clark http://www.virusmyth.net


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 573
Location: Over there! (last)
Batchainmovie wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
UIC Pavilion (University of Illinois)
Chicago, IL
USA
Jerry Garcia Band +
Frank Zappa
August 18, 1984


Zappa commented in an interview when asked about Jerry Garcia: "We did one concert with Garcia on this tour but we were the opening act and I didn't see any of his set."
I'd say FZ made his opinion of the Dead abundantly clear with that! :mrgreen:

--Bat 8)

Or, perhaps, they needed to hit the road to get to their job for the next day's show at Cincinnati Gardens in Ohio.
Time marches on, you know.

_________________
Image Nothing is permanent but change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 am
Posts: 107
The correlation can be found in the time they were active (1966-first half of '90s circa), and in the importance of playing live for them
I also think that both the Dead and FZ believed in the power of music, they both tried to open the minds of their listeners (obviously, with different point of views...), and they both (Garcia and FZ) had a big music personality that it's impossible to find nowadays.
Lucky who saw both of them alive.
I just saw FZ in 84, 'cause nobody gave me a ride to the Grateful Dead concert, oh rats!
*****
Anyway I'd like FZ had the same live discography of the Dead to choose from: 36 Dick's Picks, 17 Road Trips, 11 Dave Picks and 46 live albums (not counting the digital downloads...).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group