Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Is My Anti-Drug
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 pm 

I got introduced to Sgt. Pepper when I was about 12 years old and I remember thinking about psychedelics and how some day I'd like to dabble with them to get into the same creative headspace the Beatles were in, it was so unlike anything I'd heard before. Fast forward a decade and I'm hearing We're Only In It For The Money for the first time. I used to smoke about a gram of pot a day, just cuz I enjoyed it I guess, but the line "You'll be absolutely free only if you want to be" really struck a chord with me. Zappa was one of the most left field rock musicians of his time and yet was above the drug scene. This led me to quit, I hold him in such high regard and respect him for that decision that I thought myself a hypocrite for not doing the same. And who can argue with his critique of the hippy culture. Sure they had some decent things going, but they never really got off the ground, smoking pot all the time probably had something to do with that. I love the irony in it too, how Pepper got me to think that and Money got me to realize how stupid an idea it was, that I needed to smoke pot to be "alternative" or "creative". I was wondering if any of you had a similar experience.