Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Familiar With Opera?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:54 pm 

I am...not by choice, though. Mom sang opera.<br>I wondered if anyone recognized the song, La Dona Mobile, at the end of the song, Catholic Girls? I just busted out laughing when I heard it for the 1st time.<br>(hope I spelled that Italian right)<br>

Post subject: Re: Familiar With Opera?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:11 pm 

Nope. Not me.I haven't come around to opera yet.  Maybe one of these days. <br><br><br>But hey, I just learned a little about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:19 pm 

It's SUCH a recognizable melody, you probably know it and don't know it. If you know what I mean. It's the very last melody at the very end of the song. I think it's hummed or 'la la -ed' Again, if you know what I mean! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:24 pm 

Yeah, I think I know what you mean... But just to be sure,I'm gonna listen to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:23 am 

"Sopranos!? That's why God made the rocket launcher and grenade!"-You know who<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:50 am 

SEBASTIAAN- Very good! It IS Rigoletto by Verdi....you cheat and look it up on the web ??  ;) Now, can you translate it?  It's not flattering to women.<br><br><br>Papagajas-Don't know what you mean about the mailbox but no, haven't had troubles. Are you thinking of my traumatic "notify of reply" experience  ;D !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:51 am 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=rant;num=1036133692;start=0#0 date=10/31/02 at 22:54:52]I am...not by choice, though. Mom sang opera.<br>I wondered if anyone recognized the song, La Dona Mobile, at the end of the song, Catholic Girls? I just busted out laughing when I heard it for the 1st time.<br>(hope I spelled that Italian right)<br>[/quote]<br><br>I am constantly amazed by FZ's seemingly effortless ability to throw those musical tidbits into his songs.  Unbelievable.  Thanks for the detail work catpuke :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:00 pm 

Brainfang-I LOVE the little things he does like that!<br><br><br>Sebastiaan-Translation is, Woman Is Fickle.<br>Probably the least unkind thing he ever had sung about a woman in a song.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:21 pm 

Sebatiaan-It was such an ILL picture, I HAD to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:26 am 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=rant;num=1036133692;start=0#0 date=10/31/02 at 22:54:52]I am...not by choice, though. Mom sang opera.<br>I wondered if anyone recognized the song, La Dona Mobile, at the end of the song, Catholic Girls? I just busted out laughing when I heard it for the 1st time.<br>(hope I spelled that Italian right)<br>[/quote]<br><br>it should read "La donna è mobile" and is from Rigoletto by Verdi. <br><br>This is one of the best known arias in italian opera, like the ride of the valkyries from Wagner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:07 am 

Let us not forget:<br>Ride of the Walkyres was quoted somewhere during the 88 tour. On MAJNH Big Swifty version we get a medley from Carmen, Lohengrin and a tiny bit of Mozarts Magic Flute (the Papageno song)<br><br>I maybe visited 10 oera performances in my life. My mom and sister are singing in the choir at the theater in my hometown.  Last Saturday I saw/heard Wagners Tannhäuser.<br><br>Zappa about Wagner (1992): "I like Wagner, though it`s too long... but I like the way things are put together musically" :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:17 am 

during the 88 tour the band performed as far as i recall extracts from Bartok's second concerto for piano, the prelude from the third act of Lohengrin, an excerpt from the 1812 ouverture by Tchaikovsky and the Habanera theme from Carmen.<br>I will check it again. <br><br>Yeah, opera is also great ! I have seen last july the complete Ring of the nibelung, and it was fantastic ! And if you think of the time, when Wagner wrote these operas, he was way ahead of the time ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:24 am 

"who needs more screaming fat women"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:45 am 

[quote author=Sister Ob dewlla B link=board=rant;num=1036133692;start=15#17 date=11/06/02 at 08:17:01]during the 88 tour the band performed as far as i recall extracts from Bartok's second concerto for piano, the prelude from the third act of Lohengrin, an excerpt from the 1812 ouverture by Tchaikovsky and the Habanera theme from Carmen.<br>I will check it again. <br><br>Yeah, opera is also great ! I have seen last july the complete Ring of the nibelung, and it was fantastic ! And if you think of the time, when Wagner wrote these operas, he was way ahead of the time ...[/quote]<br><br>I think yer right here (though the Bartók and Tchaikowky pieces is not opera... ;).<br>The complete Nibelung? Jeezus - that is 13 hours, right?<br>Wagner was crazy. We have still troubles dealing with him here in the Fatherland, since he was sort of an anti-semite (which almost everybody was in Europe back then), and he was Hitlers favourite composer. So, if you like Wagner and are not a music-scientist or what, you have the air of being at least a very conservative person who likes to bring back the old days of the bourgoisie leading the grand-german Kaiserreich (mererly the "second one" from 1871 to 1918). ::)<br>But musically and conceptionally it is very interesting...<br>Wagner and FZ have some things in common: f.i. the idea of an "endless melody", or re-occurrng code and themes spreading over vast parts of work, and: they both liked to think of a musical universe that includes everything possible, sound and vision so to say. The term Gesamtkunstwerk, which was provided by Wagner - Conceptual Continuity by FZ., - both did not write music to reinforce your life, you have to think and feel and make something out of it for yourself (unfortunaetly the aformentioned Wagnarians in Germany like to reinforce their attitude with Wagners music...)