Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:20 pm 

Any James Brown tune. (just so damn funky)<br>Iron Maiden - Losfer Words (best metal instrumental ever)<br>Stevie Wonder - Livin for the City (always gives me shivers)<br>Sly and the Family Stone - Higher (ultra funky)<br>Infectious Grooves - Punk it up (The perfect mix of funk and metal)<br><br>These selections are subject to change with out notice, and are just what I could think of off hand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:11 pm 

some of em could be,<br><br>stormy monday , allmans filmore east plus the end bit of mountain jam<br><br>everyday people - sly family stone<br><br>ballad of curtis low - skynerd<br><br>hocus pocus - focus<br><br>way young lovers do, or sweet thing - van morrison<br><br>goodnite irene - dr.john - or somethin by him<br><br>little wing or texas flood - srv<br><br>the last one on side one of passion & warefare by vai - is it alien love kiss<br><br>black betty - ramm jamm<br><br><br><br>and somethin by lots of others<br><br>mungo<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:01 am 

[quote author=mungo link=board=rant;num=1043616531;start=0#2 date=01/26/03 at 16:11:26]some of em could be,<br><br>stormy monday , allmans filmore east plus the end bit of mountain jam<br><br>everyday people - sly family stone<br><br>ballad of curtis low - skynerd<br><br>hocus pocus - focus<br><br>way young lovers do, or sweet thing - van morrison<br><br>goodnite irene - dr.john - or somethin by him<br><br>little wing or texas flood - srv<br><br>the last one on side one of passion & warefare by vai - is it alien love kiss<br><br>black betty - ramm jamm<br><br><br><br>and somethin by lots of others<br><br>mungo<br><br><br><br><br><br> [/quote]<br><br>Goodnight Irene & Black Betty where first recorded by Leadbelly.  Check his versions if you dig those songs!<br><br>http://cycad.com/cgi-bin/Leadbelly/<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:04 am 

didnt know that - i will , though with them blues tunes there always seems to be a preceeding artist who - " did it first ", so i wonder if lead really was the first. who knows. anyway , cheers.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:02 pm 

You're right.<br><br>Actually Leadbelly didn't wrote most of this songs, but he was the first to record a lot of songs which became famous later on.  Some of his songs are still famous; where did you sleep last night for instance (Nirvana unplugged).<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:56 am 

[quote author=mungo link=board=rant;num=1043616531;start=0#2 date=01/26/03 at 16:11:26]hocus pocus - focus[/quote]<br><br>That's a wicked song, and I heard it for the first time only last summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:41 pm 

1) Classical Gas by Mason Williams tied with<br>    Dreams by The Allman Brothers<br>2) Song Remains The Same by Led Zep tied with<br>    Chest Fever by The Band<br>3) Bloody Well Right by Supertramp tied with<br>    Paranoid Android by Radiohead<br>4) Space Truckin' by Deep Purple tied with<br>    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Mingus<br>5) Dogs by Pink Floyd tied with<br>    Strange Fruit by Billie Holliday<br><br> ;D<br><br>Hocus-Pocus is bad ass!!<br>Leadbelly was a cold cold man!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:20 pm 

very difficult to answer, but i'll give it a go.<br>(can't express why i like these tunes so much....i just do!)<br><br>>Tommorrow Never Knows....Beatles<br>>Mean Town Blues....Johnny Winter<br>>Voodoo Chile (slight return)...Jimi Hendrix<br>>Aenema...Tool<br>>the Theiving Magpie....Rossini<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:53 pm 

On The Surface   Pere Ubu  Dub Housing<br><br>Who Knows        Jimi Hendrix   Band of Gypsies <br><br>Shake a Puddin  Dub Nacotic    Dub Party<br><br>Dish It Out          James Chance   No New York<br><br>Something Came Over Me   Trobbing Gristle (Best of)<br><br>You've Got Big Hands    Crass  Stations of the Crass<br><br>Der Kommisar        Falco<br><br>Love Comes In Spurts   Richard Hell & the Voidoids <br>                                                  Blank Generation<br><br>Favorite Things   John Coltrain    ?<br><br><br><br><br>Thats it for today. No explanation required.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:03 pm 

[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=rant;num=1043616531;start=0#0 date=01/26/03 at 13:28:51]With a collection of over 700 cd's it depends on in which mood I am. It's too difficult 4 me, but what's your Top 5?? And why??[/quote]<br><br>Hey no fair takin' the easy way out SonOfWillie...<br><br>Me? I'm still thinking about it!<br>

>You don't.