Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hi there
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:36 am 

Hi everybody ;)<br> I am new to zappa forum, and pretty new to Zappas music.<br><br>My first question is...<br><br>Who is Flo and who is eddy?<br>

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

Post subject: Re: Hi there
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:46 pm 

Yes, "they were shrill, annoying, and smug, and frank wrote down to them"...<br><br>And they sang their asses off. Don't avoid them knepo! <br><br>(The Zappa bands they were in also featured Ian Underwood, Aynsley Dunbar, George Duke and Don Preston. Ripping, accomplished, testosterone-driven stuff.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:05 pm 

Hello knepo, Nice to meet you. Enjoy the music!....It's the best!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:46 am 

Thank's everybody for the warm welcom  :)<br>This look's like the place to be.<br>Thanks for answering my question.<br><br>Looks like I shall stay away from flo & eddie.<br>I think the jazzy/instrumental/avant-garde stuff is the best. stuff like: jazz noise, hot rats, grand wazoo & roxy.<br><br>But im getting used to stuff like san ber'dino  & disco boy.<br><br>ZF: what is welgo?<br><br>If my english is bad, it's because I'm Norweagian, and been eating to much yellow snow ;)<br>

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:02 pm 

[quote author=knepo link=board=rant;num=1043876175;start=0#9 date=01/30/03 at 12:46:21]Thank's everybody for the warm welcom  :)<br>This look's like the place to be.<br>Thanks for answering my question.<br><br>Looks like I shall stay away from flo & eddie.<br>I think the jazzy/instrumental/avant-garde stuff is the best. stuff like: jazz noise, hot rats, grand wazoo & roxy.<br><br>But im getting used to stuff like san ber'dino  & disco boy.<br><br>If my english is bad, it's because I'm Norweagian, and been eating to much yellow snow ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>First piece of advice for you is too make up your own mind on what Zappa stuff you like. Flo and Eddie were one of my favorites at one stage. They are very in your face and after awhile they lost their apeal. I still love their serious stuff. Love mom and dad on playgound psychotics. But i'm not going to tell you what to listen too, Zappa is a big world and everyone has their differnet tastes. But Zappa has something for everyone so you should find something.

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:38 pm 

[quote author=knepo link=board=rant;num=1043876175;start=0#9 date=01/30/03 at 12:46:21]Looks like I shall stay away from flo & eddie.[/quote]<br>NO! Fillmore East is one of my favorites. Just make up yr own mind, but don't leave some gems undiscovered cause some guy in here says that album X or Y is bad. <br><br>If you like avant-garde: check out Civilization Phaze 3 or Yellow Shark. Both brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:08 am 

I got chungas revenge, pretty good album.<br>I'm gonna order yellow shark today at amazon  ;)<br>Looking forward to get it, Heard alot good about it.<br><br>And FZ, albums I know and got is.<br><br>Hot rats<br>Grang Wazoo<br>Chungas Revenge<br>Roxy and elsewhere<br>One size fits all<br>YCDTOSA vol2<br>sheik yerbouti<br>Does Humor belong to music<br>Jazz from Hell<br>Best band you never heard in your life<br>Make a jazz noise here <br>waka/jawaka<br>strictly commercial<br><br>Sheik yerbouty is the album I first heard. I was about seven or eight years old and my brother played broken hearts are for assholes to me. And I loved it (was kinda perverted kid ;)) since i'm norwegian I only did understood "your an asshole thats right" loved the album for some years, then alot of other music came into my life (old school hip hop, experimental techno, acid jazz, prog rock, jazz). and when I was 21 I bought make a jazz noise here (my second zappa album) and I was hooked on zappa. <br>almost can't listen to anuything else.<br><br>Well thats my story ;)

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:27 am 

[quote author=knepo link=board=rant;num=1043876175;start=0#14 date=01/31/03 at 11:08:05]I got chungas revenge, pretty good album.<br>I'm gonna order yellow shark today at amazon  ;)<br>Looking forward to get it, Heard alot good about it.<br><br>And FZ, albums I know and got is.<br><br>Hot rats<br>Grang Wazoo<br>Chungas Revenge<br>Roxy and elsewhere<br>One size fits all<br>YCDTOSA vol2<br>sheik yerbouti<br>Does Humor belong to music<br>Jazz from Hell<br>Best band you never heard in your life<br>Make a jazz noise here <br>waka/jawaka<br>strictly commercial<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Welcome, knepo. Nice selection. You seem to have some serious gaps though, that you HAVE to fill  ;).<br>FIrst, you don't have any early Mothers. My recommendation would be 'Burnt Weeny Sandwich' - this is a pure masterpiece from beginning to the end. Nearly completely intrumental, with great themes and nice sound. Quite unique in FZ catalogue. Other unavoidable recommendation is 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar' - 3CD guitar solo set. Power and beaty.<br>These two are probably my favorite FZs. You are in for some exciting journey!  <br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:24 am 

shame we can't put up a poll and see what the favorite Zappa album is. A list of all his albums and we get to vote our top 5 or something and the we'll get to see which comes top. Think it would be great, can it be done?

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:07 am 

thanks for your recommendation djmdavid :)<br>'Burnt Weeny Sandwich' is on my loooooong wishlist on amazon so i'll get that sometime, those guitar albums scare me a litle  but maby i don't have to be afraid.<br><br>I listend to Joe's garage in the local cd-shop, but I didn't like it so much, only listend to cd 1, But his more "commercial" music I have to get used to ;)

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:47 am 

hello ZF. what is Lost Episodes like?<br>Is it complex or easy.<br><br>Like zappas complex music best ;)

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:55 am 

Better put It in my amazon wish list. <br>Damn zappa is going to ruin me :-/.<br>But it's well worth it :)<br><br>

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:23 am 

[quote author=knepo link=board=rant;num=1043876175;start=15#22 date=02/01/03 at 03:55:41]Better put It in my amazon wish list. <br>Damn zappa is going to ruin me :-/.<br>But it's well worth it :)<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>knepo, amazon might not be the cheapest way to buy FZ CDs. I would suggest http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/ - even with international shipping rates it is still cheaper than most European e-tailers. And $ keeps falling against krona, so the prices for you are getting lowere and lower.<br> <br>You might have to pay some customs fees in Norway, though - check this with your post office.  <br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:40 am 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=rant;num=1043876175;start=15#17 date=01/31/03 at 13:24:43]shame we can't put up a poll and see what the favorite Zappa album is. A list of all his albums and we get to vote our top 5 or something and the we'll get to see which comes top. Think it would be great, can it be done?[/quote]<br>At the last (unofficial) count it was Hot Rats, but that was a while back. <br>