Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Re:The 1981 Band!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:56 pm 

<br>[quote author=DeeeEsss link=board=rant&num=1030237197&start=0#1 date=08/24/02 at 17:17:02]<br>I've listened to "You Are What You Is", too.<br><br>This particular record (and sound tht FZ was moving through) was sorta strange to me. It's not quite the sound of "Sheik Yerbouti" and not quite "Tinseltown". I think it exists in its own little pocket of FZ's body of work--maybe it displays a bridge between the two albums I just mentioned, in terms of instrumentation, production, blah-dee-blah...<br><br>*shrug*<br><br>I'm not really sure WHAT it is...<br>[/quote]<br><br>YAWYI was the first album that was digitally recorded at UMRK, I believe.  Tinseltown has some UMRK material, I think, but most of it was from analog sources.  <br><br>That said, there was probably a lot of things done during the recording of YAWYI on a trial-and-error basis, as FZ was still developing an "ear" for the digital medium.   Frank eventually found ways to bring out more body and texture in the newer recordings, so YAWYI stands alone in it's unique timbral qualities.<br>

Post subject: Re:  The 1981 Band!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:47 am 

Well like Zappa says on the introduction of the Santa Monica performance december 12: 'This band here is so good you won't believe it'<br>And it was!!!!! ;D

Post subject: Re:  The 1981 Band!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:12 am 

The 1981 band, in the Santa Monica boot, was totally fantastic.  I talked to the vaultmeister and the Santa Monica performance with all the guests was recorded by FZ.  I have asked him to consider releasing this as one of the releases from the vault.  <br><br>He said 'will note that'<br><br>everyone, if you like the 81 lineup, and dig the santa monica release, give the vault an email.