Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:50 am 

<br>This question may seem dumb, but I think it's fundamental.  Why did he realize more official material that practically any other rock/fusion musician ever?<br><br>Do you think he was that possessed by the muse?<br><br>Do you think he was a little over confident in his audience's demand?<br><br>Do you think he had a problem editing out filler from masterpieces?<br><br>Was he actually some sort of manic personality?<br><br>I know the expected fanboy type answer would be to say that he was just that much of a genius.  While I think it is true he was a genius, I also think he had a bigger ego than most artists about getting as much out as possible and that sometimes he could have just a more critical editor/producer.  Hardly anybody else would have the balls to release an album of guitar solos snipped and pasted together, much less a triple CD, much less a follow up double CD, much less one after that.  And six double CDs of live material on top of I don't know how many live albums already out.  You get the picture, perhaps.<br><br>A related question:  How often did he record new material and then discard it as unfit for publication?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:56 am 

I can't believe an "on-the-road" tape would'nt surface for "embarassment" reasons--what about the selection "Right There" from the YCDTOSA series? Bunk Gardner taped a woman he was having sex with, and then FZ used it as background audio enhancement during an instrumental...Gardner is still with us.....I think this tape might come out before any of the people die...would certainly be entertaining, I always wanted to be a fly on the wall during the Morning Report ;D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:41 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1045147837;start=0#5 date=02/16/03 at 02:20:26]Nevertheless, it is clear that Frank achieved quite a bit; probably more than any composer since Mozart. And the main reason for that is Gail; without her, Frank couldn't have done anything near what he did.<br><br>Imagine a woman who raises four children for you while you pursue your muse...[/quote]<br>without a women, there wouldn't be no kids...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:58 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1045147837;start=0#7 date=02/16/03 at 03:27:48]<br>And without Gail, Frank would have been a Muffin Man...[/quote]<br>You mean, he would eat tha vagina of his cat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:45 pm 

I always figured him to have an addictive personality.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:26 pm 

Because he....<br><br>DEDICATED HIMSELF TO THE PROJECT/OBJECT FOR OVER 30 or SO odd GODDAMN YEARS AS HIS JOB 24/7 AS NO ORDINARY HUMAN AS YOU OR I WOULD UNDERSTAND IT WOULD DO!!!!<br><br>NO SMILEYS<br><br><br>Does that suffice?<br>Regards,<br>JW Foust<br><br><br><br>