Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:34 pm 

Serj Tankian has a bit of a FZ look about him don't ya reckon?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:01 pm 

I'd love to know where some of the old band members are now.  I recall seeing "Motorhead" Sherwood on the A&E FZ Bio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:31 am 

Guess, there are still lots of people who remember Frank, his music and lyrics, even younger people. <br>also Frank's children carry on his name, there's the internet with thousands of fan-page.<br><br>If you go to a big record store here in Germany, there' s mostly about 20-30 different cds filed under "zappa", but ... I never found an extra file of my own combo "esk kim and mono", does that mean nobody remembers me?<br><br>ooo, just been on google and put in the words esk kim mono, even eskimono did it ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:00 am 

Does it really matter?  Does it make his music or output any better to have someone 'endorse' him as an influence?  Do you think you'll feel or want to feel vindicated in your choice if it does happen?<br>I love the idea of frank's music being as accepted worldwide (as the benchmark) the way  i think it is but if it doesn't happen (for a while) 'hey, what the fuck' who cares...i still love it and i'm eternally grateful to the person who suggested it to me.......  i'll continue suggesting it as a alternative to what's on offer, good music will always  be heard.....it's just needs a few willing ears. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:44 am 

yeh, like i said it'd be nice for him to recieve the recognition that you and  i think he deserves...but until the  people who 'provide the fodder for the musically challenged persons to feed on' learn how to listen to music instead of hearing the till 'ker-ching' it's always going to be a case of him being mis-understood.  I think it'll be a long time before frank does become the public genius that we all know him to be in private....i also think it'll be in the 'serious/classical' music world where he'll first be heralded....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:07 pm 

[quote author=Baby Snake link=board=rant;num=1045183300;start=0#3 date=02/13/03 at 18:34:50]Serj Tankian has a bit of a FZ look about him don't ya reckon?[/quote]<br><br>My friend and I were browsing a magazine rack when he saw Serj Tankian on the cover of some rock mag and asked me if that was Zappa. I almost smacked him. ::)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:14 pm 

I Believe Sublime thanked him by name on the booklet in their CD. I hear a Zappa infuence in many songs(besides the ones mentioned above), but I don't know if they are doing it conciously, or it just sounds that way to my ear.<br><br>Hell, can't keep up with the new kids as much anymore, gettin' up there (38) Ya know!<br><br>Don't know much about music, but I know what I like! (& it AIN'T what my daughter listens to!)<br>JW Foust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:46 am 

This is a question i have been asking myself over and over again...<br><br>I mean...all the artists that have made a difference during the 60's and 70's, the most of them are still being played on the radio, and the most of them have still articles written about the...<br><br>But Frank somehow seems forgotten by all forms of (Multi-) media, except for the internet...<br>Hasn't the guy and his ideas and music been of somekind of influence at all ??????<br>One would almost think so...<br>I mean: the bullet was halfway his brains and Kurt Cobain was already proclaimed a genius....<br>I'm not saying Frank was a genius (what's a genius anyway...the people who come closest to that word in my opinion are Albert Einstein and Leonardo Da Vinci....)<br>but the fact of the matter is: he certainly deserves more attention than he gets now...especially after almost 10 years...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:27 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1045183300;start=0#14 date=02/24/03 at 15:53:52]<br><br> but as long as the Zappa family is living off Frank's legacy, noone will have complete access to it.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Somehow, i find that hard to believe...<br>I mean (i know this is discussed before...JOSH): exactly how much does FZ (his records and so forth) sell nowadays ???<br>And would those numbers be enough to keep the Zappa family provided with food, clothes and so on...<br>I mean Zappa has never been such an popular artist, but since he died, Gail and those who control ''The Legacy'' haven't been as forthcoming as they've could have been.<br>I think that The Vaults should be ''opened'' and ''The Legacy'' should somehow be more ''accessible''.<br>Because otherwise the man, his ideas, his legacy and his music will continue to stay on the level that they are today and those that are interested in it, can only find the data on the WWW. think that in that case FZ will always be ''just'' a-weird-guy-with-a-mustache-sitting-on-a- toilet-and-making-difficult-music...<br>