Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:56 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#0 date=02/15/03 at 21:58:49]<br><br>Me and my wife went to the opera tonight (Verde's The Masked Ball). Two things happened there besides an opera:<br><br>1)  We got frisked in the parking lot because we have an INVADE IRAQ? NO! bumper sticker. Imagine a terrorist so stupid he would go to the opera (?) with an anti-war bumper sticker....<br><br>2)  While tuning up for the second act, a trumpet player played a few bars of Uncle Meat. Was Verde turning over in his grave, or rockin' it?<br><br>Just goes to show that you can't escape either crazy war stuff OR Frank Zappa references (if you listen for them, they're there) these days.<br><br>Actually, this was my first opera. I was struck by how similar opera and FZ's music are, in some ways.[/quote]<br><br>1. Do you mean "my wife and I?"<br><br>2. Did they actually tell you that the reason you were being frisked was because of the bumper sticker?<br><br>3. Did you giggle like a schoolgirl as the "frisking" was taking place?<br><br>4. Was the trumpet player really playing Uncle Meat or were you just, in fact, delerious?<br><br>5. The last opera I attended was a matinee performance of Carmen at the Met in NYC circa 1985...the highlight was that after the show we learned that the Lincoln Tunnel (back to NJ) had been closed down due to a structural defect...we sat in traffic without moving for, I swear, 90 minutes...when we finally did move, it was another half hour before we broke free of the jam up...we eventually headed down to the village and had dinner and drinks until around 11 pm waiting for the traffice to clear up. Funny, but that's what I remember the most from that day.<br><br>6. As per the terms of our agreement, please immediately wire  the sum of $10 to my account for posting to this thread.<br><br>Thank you and have a nice day. ;D<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:33 am 

"Do you mean "my wife and I?""<br><br>WOW!!!! WE HAVE A  PROFESSOR IN THE FORUM!!!! <br><br>EVERYBODY: KNEEL DOWN AND PRAISE HIM/HER!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:41 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#0 date=02/15/03 at 21:58:49] Actually, this was my first opera. I was struck by how similar opera and FZ's music are, in some ways.[/quote]  <br><br>I can see that. Zappa and Beefheart wrote the first known rock opera. Zappa was a fan of Groucho Marx. Groucho Marx was in a movie called "A Night at the Opera" which is also the tittle of a Queen album, and the last line of that album is 'Any way the wind blows' which is, of course, the name of a song on Freak Out.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:44 pm 

believe me ronnys - if yer had had an NUKE SADDAM NOW  sticker on yer auto you would not only have been frisked but the frisk would have extended to those parts no frisk should ever go <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:53 pm 

ronnys - when the shit was happening in northern ireland yer got frisked going in anywhere hotels, the airport , shops every place including the whole belfast city centre - there was a sercuity cordon round it for all my first 20 odd years - its all good fun really - anyway its spring time soon - and thats when i get real frisky<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:21 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#6 date=02/17/03 at 15:28:14]<br><br>No, smart guy. What I meant was "me an' da little woman."<br><br><br>[/quote]<br>Dat be more like it...I mean come on! Where was you brung up?<br><br>[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#6 date=02/17/03 at 15:28:14]<br><br>No. I was too overwhelmed with rightous indignation. I think I mumbled something like, "Get your hands off me, you running dog lackey of the imperialistic machine."<br><br>[/quote]<br>Well at least you said it with love.<br><br><br>[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#6 date=02/17/03 at 15:28:14]<br><br>Don't you mean "delirious?"<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>No, smart guy. What I meant was "rewhelmed wid deliriation."<br><br>[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#6 date=02/17/03 at 15:28:14]<br><br>Yes, but did YOU get frisked?<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Unfortunately not. DAMN!<br><br><br>[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#6 date=02/17/03 at 15:28:14]<br><br><br>OK. You could use it to buy a life, since you apparently have the time and interest to post on a lame thread like this.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>How dare you insult me like that you no good, low down, dirty rotten<br><br> :'( Aw hell, you're right Ronny's...who am I kiddin'...I don't have a life.... :'( I'm gonna go shovel some more snow...

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:54 pm 

Do you know if FZ liked Gillbert & Sullivan?<br>They have a pretty good sense of humor. I love The Mikado!<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:06 pm 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=0#13 date=02/17/03 at 18:54:02]Do you know if FZ liked Gillbert & Sullivan?<br>They have a pretty good sense of humor. I love The Mikado!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Are you sure you don't mean Gilbert O'Sullivan?<br><br>Ok everybody ready?    ONE TWO THREE FOUR:<br><br>A - LONE   A - GAIN    NATCH - RUL - EEEEEEEEEE!!!<br><br>yowsa<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:24 pm 

[quote author=sleeping_in_a_jar link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=15#16 date=02/18/03 at 20:06:43]<br><br>Are you sure you don't mean Gilbert O'Sullivan?<br><br>Ok everybody ready?    ONE TWO THREE FOUR:<br><br>A - LONE   A - GAIN    NATCH - RUL - EEEEEEEEEE!!!<br><br>yowsa<br>[/quote]<br>You know, you're right.I DID mean him. I have ALL his stuff:<br>"The razor's at my wrist",  "Everybody has friends but me",<br>"Prozac on rye", "In the park alone", "Talking to myself", <br>"Mommy died now who will I take to the prom?"...<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:50 pm 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=15#17 date=02/18/03 at 20:24:37]<br>You know, you're right.I DID mean him. I have ALL his stuff:<br>"The razor's at my wrist",  "Everybody has friends but me",<br>"Prozac on rye", "In the park alone", "Talking to myself", <br>"Mommy died now who will I take to the prom?"...<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>HA! I knew it! His influence is evident in nearly all your postings. Why, you're probably listening right now...<br><br>BTW, you made me choke on my water.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:55 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1045375129;start=15#20 date=02/18/03 at 20:48:38]<br>And who could forget the following B-sides:<br><br>"Why Won't My Gun Work on Me?"<br>"Which is it Again... Slash Across or Down the Vein?"<br>"I'm Standin' Here Like an Idiot Talking to Myself."<br>"Paxil Salad Annie."<br>"I Don't wanna Get Drafted, So I Can Kill Myself First."<br>"Dead White Rabbit."[/quote]<br><br>The above selections were all on the compilation entitled:  "It's not the voices in MY head that bother me, it's the voices in YOUR head."  <br><br>And Suicide Chump was included as a special bonus track.<br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:44 pm 

GOD, I wish Frank was still with us!!!!this is stupid.<br><br>Anyways, I just got my CD copy of "Uncle Meat"around Christmas.<br><br>I used to listen to it on 8track with my Zappa buddy in the wilds of Southern Indiana a LONG TIME AGO!Couldnt commit the lyrics to memory on 8-track....(We'll, I DID, But DID'NT)<br><br><br>Damn near forgot about some lyrics, but they have intersected my life with some concrete "Conceptual...Continuity"...<br><br>Married a girl named "Pancake"15 years ago!<br>She Never heard "Electric Aunt Jemima" until last month, & Was threatening to divorce me! Until I gave her the "Friendly Little Finger"....<br><br>There IS a lesson in here somewhere Boys,& Girls!<br><br>Feed Me till I'mHungry!<br>JW Foust<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:49 pm 

Just for shit's & giggles, <br><br>My main mode of recreation is Civil War Reenacting, but some folks I hang with don't agree with the type of jar being used...<br>& All I have to say is...<br><br>THE JAR IS UNDER THE BED....<br><br>& Nobody gets it!!!!????<br><br>Anyways,<br>JF<br><br>