Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dweezil and Ahmet
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:02 pm 

Anybody know what they're up to these days?

Post subject: Re: Dweezil and Ahmet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:21 am 

I believe Ahmet is doing various TV hosting spots.  He did Robotica for a while.  Don't know if he still is.<br><br>Dweezil has been doing some shows with Lisa Loeb, but not many as even she can't get a tour sponsored by her record label.  He produced much of her Cake AND Pie CD as well as laying down some tasty guitar on some tracks.<br><br>He also recently worked with Peavey to create the Wiggy<br>amplifier. (of which I own one and it kicks ass!)  <br><br>Dweezil seems to be more at home in the studio and I think that's what he's focused on these days.  He and Joe Travers are the ones who did a lot of work on OZ and the next FZ vault release.  <br><br>As much as DZ loves music, I think he enjoys playing golf just as much, and spends a lot of time doing that.<br><br>T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:43 am 

I'm sorry but that's a shitty excuse on DZ's part.  Thankfully<br>Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Eric Johnson don't think the same way.  As a guitar player I seek out good guitar music, and it's all over the place.  I for one am glad it's not like it was in the late 80's and early 90's when guitar lost it's soul in favor of playing as fast as you can.  BORING!  Check out Mattias Eklundh's Freak Guitar on Favored Nations to hear good and creative guitar playing.  A staving guitar audience are finding there way to good music, DZ can participate or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:21 am 

I have to agree with MrBickford.  I've only been playing guitar for about 10 months, but since I've started, I've been looking for interesting guitar music.  Unfortunately, I live in an area not known for it's openess towards different music, and I have been unable to find any really good guitar stuff.  And on top of that, mainstream music is really crappy.  Hopefully, the horrible pop will give way to new and different music that the artists actually write themselves.  But that's just an idealistic hope for the future.  It would be awesome if mainstream music changed and offered something of interest.  We'll all have to wait and see what the future holds musically.  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:36 am 

I have no problem agreeing completely with the last two posts<br>on the current state of POPular music; however, I will say that I'm glad Frank didn't stop releasing music because millions of screaming teenagers weren't buying his albums.  I'm in no way comparing DZ and FZ other than they are both musicians that I admire greatly.  I'm not saying DZ should do what his father did.  I just don't think the solution to the lack of current quality music is to stop making music.  <br><br>The other thing that irks me about DZ's attitude, is that he says in too many interviews that there are no fans for his music.  That almost offends me.  I've bought every DZ release out there, and most of the guess appearance CD's he's on.  Not to mention searching all over for any bootleg audio or video shows I can find.  I'd say I'm a fan.  I also have quite a few internet friends who I've met through DZ fan groups who feel the same way I do.  We buy everything DZ releases and read in magazine articles about him not having a fan base.  <br><br>T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:39 pm 
The last I heard of Dweezil was on this terrible TV show that I caught on Australian TV - Happy Hour. It comprised of Dweezil and Ahmet putting a bunch of soused C and D list celebs through some party games. No little moments of kitsch brilliance. Just some very bad TV. I felt a bit sorry for the Dweeze having to sit there and weather the foghorn blast of Ahmet's "dada" behaviour. <br>Having said all this I did thoroughly piss mine girlfriend off by faithfully tuning in each week to watch this televisual carwreck.<br><br>