Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:14 am 

This information was sent to me today.  I am having trouble finding out if they are, in fact, ligament bills.  Regardless, they are quite disturbing.  Has anyone heard of these?<br>The RAVE Act (H.R. 718) and The CLEAN-UP Act (H.R. 834) <br>These in effect, hold promoters and property owners liable for minor drug violations that may occur during musical events held in thier establishment.<br>Section 305 of the CLEAN-UP Act stipulates that: <br>'Whoever, for a commercial purpose, knowingly promotes any rave, dance, music, or other entertainment event, that takes place under <br>circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know that a controlled substance will be used or distributed in violation of Federal law or the law of the place where the event is held, shall <br>be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned for not more than 9 years, or both.'<br><br>Now, I am not advocating drug use, but does this sound a bit out of line to anybody else?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:40 am 

yah, i heard about it, trying to outlaw concerts of all types, rock, country, rap, etc.  these bills would make the penalties so stiff for small offenses that venues would be smarter to not hold events of that nature to avoid prosecution and legal issues.  lets hope this doesn't happen, i enjoy concerts, does anyone else in america enjoy concerts?  what would frank say about this one folks?  fight the power homeboys >:(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am 

In the UK, here where I am, they are trying to make it so you need a licence to do stuff like play guitar in your own house. Band practices will be illegal unless you're in a licanced premasis. A pub landlord has already been fined under currant law for leting a family sing happy birthday during their meal.<br><br>What do you think of this, I have an e-mail of the full proposed plan if anybody would like it sent to them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:22 pm 

This is one of the most disturbing things I've read in quite some time.  <br><br>Yet, it's OK for rednecks to drink themselves stupid at NASCAR races and drive home?   :-X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:44 am 

Just going out on a limb here, but I can not believe that more of you don't have anything to say about this issue.  This not only deals with drugs, this seems to make property owners less likely to allow live music in their establishments.  Hence, decreasing the amount of live music being performed.  This is an outrage!<br>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:26 am 

I just emailed my Senator on this issue.  When his staff replies(which, will likely be next century) I will post any info.  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:20 am 

sounds like a nimby issue in some local neighborhood