Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cover Me!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:31 am 

I just bought a CD called 'Spare Shells', a compilation tribute to The Specials (duh) featuring a bunch of contemporary ska/punk bands covering Specials songs. It's a great album if you like your 2-Tone, ska, whatever. There's also a Ralomes tribute along similar lines, but it's got U2 and Pearl Jam on it so I gave that one a miss. ;)<br>Anyway, it got me thinking that I'd love to be able to buy a similar compilation of Zappa stuff, with all different bands covering their favorite FZ track. I know it'll never happen, but there are loads of bands who have cited Frank as an influence, there are also loads of bands who have done versions of Frank's songs. The question is, who would you like to do what song, and why? You can pick existing cover versions, or tell us ones you'd love to hear.  I for one would much rather listen to Primus playing 'Ride my face to Chicago' than know what Larry LaLonde's favorite FZ album tracks are. As a sidenote, I'd love to hear the Residents' version of 'King Kong'. Was it ever released on an album?

Post subject: Re: Cover Me!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:10 am 

I bought the Ramones Tribute. I was deeply disappointed. You were right to pass it by. There's only two good tracks, RHCP doing Havana Affair and Rob Zombie doing Blitzkrieg Bop. All the other groups sound like they are trying to be the Ramones, where as <br>the two i mentioned make the songs their own.(marlyn manson makes KKK took my baby away his own but it is shite).<br>I think the biggest tribute you can pay someone is to take their song and give it your own special treatment. Just as FZ did with the many covers he did.<br><br>

Watercress-Errrr Micheal J Fox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:35 pm 

I've wrestled with the idea of doing a cover of one of Frank's songs on a CD of mine sometime soon. (I'm nobody famous. I've recorded some of my music, but haven't released any of it yet.) <br><br>I guess the problem I have is that I respect and love Frank's music SO much, why redo it? Can I improve it? (Answer: No.) Play it live or at home, sure, but to record and release it...well, once something is recorded, it's a fixed object, right? I'm concerned it will forever bug me that I should have done it better! Maybe this is just "paralysis by over analysis", but if I do a Zappa piece, it HAS to be great. Do you know what I mean?<br><br>However, I was very impressed with what Michael Hedges did with his arrangement of "Sofa" for solo acoustic guitar. That was a cool thing to do. I'm sure you've heard it, it's not only beautiful, but he got the eyebrows on it, too. It's had me thinking for a while. I have a couple of ideas of what I might do, but nothing is ready yet. <br><br>I've been wondering if people, specifically other Zappa fans, would even want to hear anyone else do a cover of Frank's music. I guess there may be a few that do. I suppose there is always a chance that if I do one well and somebody who isn't familiar with Frank's music hears it and likes it, it would point them towards seeking out Zappa recordings themselves. I should get good karma points for that!  ;D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:53 pm 

[quote author=francie_brady link=board=rant;num=1046179876;start=0#2 date=02/25/03 at 10:10:46]I bought the Ramones Tribute. I was deeply disappointed. You were right to pass it by. There's only two good tracks, RHCP doing Havana Affair and Rob Zombie doing Blitzkrieg Bop. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I don't know what to do. Two things that bug me are the band selections and that Mr. Zombie did not use his band on Blitzkrieg Bop. I've heard that it had something to with paying scale vs. paying salaries, *but I don't know*...so don't quote me on that.<br><br>I also understand that some of the Ramones favorite bands- Anthrax for one- wanted to do songs but were passed over by Rob because he wanted BIGGER name bands. Bigger is not always better.<br><br>But, I'ma sucka for tributes so I'll probably get it, someday.<br>I really dig the other kind of tributes, like Acid Eaters.. where the Ramones did all those old "acid rock" songs.....that was cool. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:58 am 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1046179876;start=0#4 date=02/26/03 at 02:35:37]I think tributes in general are pretty lame. I don't want to see a tribute to The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Ramones or any other band. But if someone offers a decent retrospective of a good composer - be it Beethoven or Mahler or Zappa - I'll go hear it.<br><br>There's a difference between a composer and a performer. You go to see a performer, but you go to hear a composer...[/quote]<br><br>i'm pretty much the same on the whole covers thing.....hey, if you like it then great but i just think it's nonsense.....the closest i've come to one of these things is the 'ed palermo' stuff...but i s'pose i justify that by saying it's the same as an interpretation of his 'serious' stuff......there doesn't seem to be much point,as far as i can see, in trying to recreate Fz on stage cos it's just not gonna happen! ::) you can keep all those 'fill-in-the-blank plays fz' type things....i'd rather just stick with the man himself.<br>i spose it helps to keep his stuff 'alive'..but wouldn't it be better to keep his ideals alive in new music?<br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:54 pm 

[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=rant;num=1046179876;start=0#13 date=02/27/03 at 07:39:15]Anyone familiar with the Hans Annéllsson interpretations?? Rather cool, I've posted a link a few posts ago where you can download a cd worth of material.[/quote]<br><br>yeh! thanks for that 'pimp! the treacherous cretins' is rather cool huh!<br>i like planet zappa a lot but i missed this bit...somhow :-/<br>thanks again ;D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:58 am 

[quote author=SonOfWillieThePimp link=board=rant;num=1046179876;start=15#15 date=02/28/03 at 05:40:47]<br>thanks!  :)<br><br>i've already burnt my own copy with my own 'artwork'.[/quote]<br><br>nice 1! :D<br>i would do but as i'm a poor person who's using a college's PC i can't burn anything (except maybe, the college down :P)....technically i shouldn't be downloading the sounds for a listen but ...what the fuck ;D<br>thanks again though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:03 am 

The Persuasions doing Lumpy Gravy makes me smile.<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:50 pm 

Thanks, SonOfWTP.  <br><br>Here's a weird idea, if he sang Brown Shoes Don't Make It in the Thing-Fish voice.  <br><br>Did the late 80's band ever play that song?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:31 pm 

Nice to see that this thread has developed into a much more interesting discussion than the original premise. :)<br><br>On the general topic of cover/tribute albums, I just bought a CD called 'Rise Above' - a collection of Black Flag songs. However what make this stand out is that all the songs are peformed by Mother Superior (AKA 75% of the Rollins Band) and the majority have vocals by the man himself. The album also boasts an incredible selection of guest vocalists, including Chuck D, Nick Oliveri from Queens of the Stone Age, Dean Ween, Mike Patton, Ice T, Tom Araya (Slayer), Lemmy, Tim & Lars from Rancid, Ryan Adams, and ex-Black Flag members Chuck Dukowski and Kira. The project was Rollins's idea, and is a fund raiser for the West Memphis 3 (I don't really know enough about this to comment, but from what I can tell it seems to be a good cause). I know there are some Rollins/Black Flag fans on the forum - keep an eye out for this one, it's kick-ass - worth the money for the updated version of 'TV party tonite' alone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:11 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=rant;num=1046179876;start=15#23 date=03/10/03 at 05:50:50]BTW, only Dweezil has been fully blessed, being allowed to play Watermelon and Zoot.[/quote]<br><br>I haven't heard about this before. Have those two songs had a specific "banned" or "forbidden" status applied to them regarding recordings and/or live performances?