Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dr. Seuss
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:08 pm 

I found this book at a yard sale over the weekend.<br><br>The Tough Coughs As He Ploughs The Dough - Early Writings and Cartoons by Dr. Seuss - Ed. Richard Marschall<br><br>Worth picking up if you see it.  I think Frank would have appreciated the good Dr.'s odd sense of humor.<br>

Post subject: Re: Dr. Seuss
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:31 pm 

There's a Wocket In My Pocket!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:52 pm 

I always thought that some of the lyrics to Dumb All Over are very Seuss-like.  <br><br>"You can't run a country by a book of religion,<br>Not by a heap or a lump or a smidgeon"<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:35 pm 

Oh man, I remember reading those books to my kids too...phew.<br><br>Mine got bored with the One Fish Two Fish stuff real fast.... They liked the ones with lots and lots of words...<br><br>If I am remembering it right, the three most requested were Mcelligot's Pool, The Lorax, and The Butter Battle Book.<br><br>Butter Battle,  is a very important book to read to the little ones.([tt]big ones too[/tt]) For one thing, IT MAKES THEM THINK....... <br><br>I was asked to read this book at least one night a week for about 3 years (maybe more)<br><br>So.If I may....(from TBBB web page).... A short summary, for anyone that is curious why this book was perhaps the most controversial of them all. And IMMHO the most important.<br><br><br>~This book is about two different races that live on opposite sides of a brick wall. Why is this wall seperating the two? <br><br>Because the Yooks and the Zooks are fighting about what side they eat their bread on. The Yooks ate their bread with the butter side up, and the Zooks ate their bread with the butter side down. <br><br>But one day a very mean Zook by the name of Van Itch slung his sling shot at a Yook's Snickle-Berry-Switch. So the Yook that was on patrol went back to Cheif Yookeroo to get a improved weapon and a fancier suit to go with it. <br><br>The next day he went back to the wall and Van Itch was there too. He had a better weapon and a better suit too. So Grandpa Yook went crying back to the Cheif and again he got improved. <br><br>The story keeps going in the same order until they come back to the wall with the same weapons and the same suit on. The last trip they each come back to the wall with an extremely dangerous Big-Boy Boomeroo! What will happen next? <br><br><br><br><br> <br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:01 am 

I think that's maybe from Sneetches & Other Stories.<br><br>Yeah, for sure.I know other people like that..... not an an inch or even a smidgen

Post subject: re: dr. seuss
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:29 am 

great artwork & characters

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:42 am 

I remember reading an interview with Dweezil years ago wherein he states that besides Maurice Sendak, one of his other childhood (and even adulthood) authors was Dr. Suess. So I'm guessing the Zappa chilluns had many bedtime readings from the book of the doc. Wonder if FZ ever read to them? He'd have been an excellent story teller. He should have written and illustrated a children's book himself--woulda been great!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:16 pm 

i found dr.seuss profoundly disturbing as a child - i dunno why but the whole seuss set up freaked me out - its the one thing that ever gave me nightmares - <br>just as a matter of interest or not<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:12 am 

There'll be a Cat In A Hat FILM soon. That should please the chitlins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:37 am 

I was lucky enough to have been one of those kids who was read Dr. Seuss books in my early years. My personal favourites were 'Horton Hears A Who' and 'Scrambled Eggs Super'. These days most all of the good Dr's books have been re-published in small soft back versions, but I have a soft spot for those big hard back editions, dog eared as they are now. There's a fair few parents rockin' the forum. What are the children of today getting read at bedtime. Please tell me it ain't all Harry Potter.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:38 pm 

Image<br><br>scots, wha hae wi' wallace bled<br>scots , wham bruce has aften lead<br>welcome to your gory bed <br>                         or to victorie !<br><br><br>remember this one kaiser ? the old ones are still the best<br>mungo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:30 pm 

Is that the spider of destiny? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:02 am 

it could be - wonder if old osama ever thinks of the bruce while hes in his hole ?<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:29 pm 

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, the following was cut and pasted from an email I received recently.<br><br> REJECTED DR. SEUSS BOOKS:<br><br>      1. One Bitch, Two Bitch, Dead Bitch, You Bitch<br>      2. Herbert the Pervert Likes Sherbert<br>      3. Fox In Detox<br>      4. Who Shat in the Hat?<br>      5. Horton Hires a Ho<br>      6. The Flesh-Eating Lorax<br>      8. Your Colon Can Moo - Can You?<br>      9. Zippy the Rabid Gerbil<br>      10. The Cat in the Blender<br>      11. Marvin K. Mooney, Get the Fuck Out!<br>      12. Are You My Proctologist?<br>      13. Yentl the Lentil<br>      14. My Pocket Rocket Needs a Socket<br>      15. Aunts in My Pants<br>      16. Oh, the Places You'll Scratch and Sniff!<br>      17. Horton Fakes an Orgasm<br>      18. The Grinch's Ten Inches

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:40 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1036451310;start=0#1 date=11/04/02 at 21:27:05]Some of the lesser known Dr. S books are actually a lot of fun. I always enjoyed reading them to my kid (now age 7), not only because he loved them, but because of all the interesting rhyme schemes and word play. Never heard of this one though.[/quote]<br><br>very exciting :)<br>