Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:31 pm 

:-/ Considering greed, comercializm and emense power idiots have gained, we say no. Frank would have been very lonely and probably ignored.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:05 am 

I beg to differ !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:22 pm 

I actually think FZ would be very good to have around to tell the powerful idiots just how stupid they are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:16 pm 

:-[ We would have thought by now, that most classic rock stations would play his tunes on a regular basis. Keeping people dumb for fun and profit still out weighs science and reason. And damn good music too.  And of course she did fly. Her ghost anyway. Everytime Bill put his head between his legs on our tax dollars with his Monica flies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:30 am 

I think he would run a flower store

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:47 pm 

I think he'd have made it in ANY time. You just can't NOT notice a talent like his.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:50 pm 

I'd like to hope he could have made it , if he was my age (grade 12) he'd probably be a frusterated computer nerd, totally oblivious to Varese, Stravinski and doo-wop due to time/place/popularity.<br>I always get the feeling that he would never have made music at all and would probably have went the way of Tim Burton and became a subculture junkie and would probably be working with computer animation or some sort of eccentric odd-ball troupe' working on God knows what kind of 'project' (maybe techno/trance, maybe something in the broadway musical genre). But ironically, without someone like Frank Zappa to mainstream avant-garde composers the young Frank would probably never have been inspired to that realm.<br>Either way he would have been HUGE, just in different genres. <br>Next subject: Don Vliet?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:03 pm 

It would be nice to think he would , but with most of the world just listening to trashy 3 chord bands who knows ? Maybe I'm getting a little old for stuff like that!<br> ???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:50 am 

[quote author=Son_of_SomeKCheese link=board=rant;num=1040549462;start=0#10 date=12/24/02 at 14:50:10]But ironically, without someone like Frank Zappa to mainstream avant-garde composers the young Frank would probably never have been inspired to that realm.<br>[/quote]<br>*What* is it exactly you are trying to say?   ;)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:01 am 

the only reason Frank did classical work the way he did classical work was because of some cheap lp's he found in some obscure music shop out in the middle of nowhere.<br>Do you realize how hard it is to find music like Varese, Cage and Stravinski?<br>The only reason most people knew of Varese, Cage  Stravinski and a score of others is from Frank's constant promotion (IMHO) his greatest musical contribution. Nowadays most rural musicshops (like the one Frank visited) don't even carry Frank let alone some of the other better masters of our time. <br>IMHO, if Phish played what Phish played, Frank would like them!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:38 pm 

[quote author=Son_of_SomeKCheese link=board=rant;num=1040549462;start=15#15 date=12/26/02 at 10:01:21]the only reason Frank did classical work the way he did classical work was because of some cheap lp's he found in some obscure music shop out in the middle of nowhere.<br>Do you realize how hard it is to find music like Varese, Cage and Stravinski?<br>The only reason most people knew of Varese, Cage  Stravinski and a score of others is from Frank's constant promotion (IMHO) his greatest musical contribution. Nowadays most rural musicshops (like the one Frank visited) don't even carry Frank let alone some of the other better masters of our time. <br>[/quote]<br>Okay, I get you now. BUT: <br><br>A. there was no one back then to 'mainstream' (first time I see it used as a verb, I like that) Varese. There was no Frank Zappa-figure when Zappa was young. So I do not get the irony you refer to in you first post. It was just a coincidence that he found those albums - or allready a sign of his genius (probably both).<br><br>B. I tend to differ with you in opinion big time when you say his greatest musical contribution was that he 'mainstreamed' Varese, Stravinski and the likes.<br>For 3 reasons:<br>1) Varese still isn't mainstream. even as a classical <br>composer he still is marginal - hardely no one nows him, even people pretending to be into 'classical' stuff. he still is to much avant-garde. most people still stick with  Mozart, Vivaldi, Strauss, Beethoven, Bach. It is true that he got *some* of his fans into varese, but not even close to the bulk of them (check the number of replies on topics concerning him, you'll see what I mean).<br>2) Stravinski made it on his own. Most Stravinski-fans probably never heard a Zappa song, except, maybe, Bobby Brown or Dancin Fool on the radio - let alone an album.<br>3) even if your presumption was right (which I do no think, given 1 and 2) I do think the greatest musical contribution Zappa made was Zappas music itself. No offense, but I think you should listen again to his records. <br>I'll speak for myself: he indeed got me into Varese, but I'd choose a zappa record for my little time alone on a deserted island, not a varese one. Voila.<br><br>C. *Who* exactly do you think that are the better masters of our time?<br><br>D. Your first post contradicts itself in some degree. First you state that he wouldn't be into music at all nowadays, and then you go on saying that maybe he would be working on some project containing techno or broadwaystuff. <br>btw, I do not see how you can think of the nowaday Zappa as being oblivious to Stravinski. I mean, even I (of all people) know him (before I got into Zappa) and I surely don't qualify as a musical genius.<br><br>E. Zappa made music 'cause he *was* a composer, not because he found some Varese record. The Varese lp maybe was a trigger, but surely not the only one. He made music allready before he found the varese stuff. I am not saying he wasn't influenced by it, but to say "the only reason Frank did classical work the way he did classical work was because of some cheap lp's" imho is a bit of a demeaning view on his accomplishments. <br><br>As a matter of fact, I find the general content of your 2 posts a bit demeaning towards the accomplishments Our One and Only Holy Guru, Forthbringer of the Big Note.<br><br>Or did I misunderstood/misinterpreted something? Do correct me if I'm wrong of course.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:50 pm 

[quote author=Son_of_SomeKCheese link=board=rant;num=1040549462;start=15#15 date=12/26/02 at 10:01:21]<br>The only reason most people knew of Varese, Cage  Stravinski and a score of others is from Frank's constant promotion (IMHO) his greatest musical contribution. [/quote]<br><br>Probably, to some extent true for Varese, definitely not true for Stravinsky and Cage!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:14 am 

Frank would definitly make it today.There is so much material out there for him.Hed be writting fantastic tunes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:17 am 

Frank would definitly make it today.There is so much material out there for him.Hed be writting fantastic tunes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:13 pm 

SECONDS magazine: So how would Frank have fared today? <br><br>Gail Zappa: He wouldn't and that's why he's not here now. He was of his own time. <br><br>source:<br>http://www.zappa.com/oz/gail/seconds_mag_97.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:17 pm 

Oops, it didn't all get in there:<br><br>SECONDS: What commercial obstacles does Z face? Are there labels that don't want anything to do with them because Frank had previously sued the labels? <br><br>GZ: Most of those people aren't there anymore. I just think the industry is very different from when Frank first started. It's run by people who don't have ideas; they're just looking at the bottom line now. It's not a healthy environment for people who are creative. <br><br>SECONDS: How would Frank fare today if he were twenty years old and wanted to cut a record? What obstacles would he be facing? <br><br>GZ: Accountants and packagers. <br><br>SECONDS: Wasn't that prevalent back in 1967, too? <br><br>GZ: No, not at all. People played music in clubs and then somebody said, "Hey, maybe we should put a record out." It was run by guys who liked the music and said, "Yeah, I'd like to do something with this band." <br><br>SECONDS: So how would Frank have fared today? <br><br>GZ: He wouldn't and that's why he's not here now. He was of his own time.