Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: zappa picks are stupid
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:03 pm 

ryko is grasping at straws here. these releases are bullshit. boo-yaa!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:21 pm 

i guess that is true, anyone that might listen to primus or phish could stumble into the world of zappa.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:14 pm 

[quote author=agency_man link=board=rant;num=1038031408;start=0#3 date=11/22/02 at 22:21:10]i guess that is true, anyone that might listen to primus or phish could stumble into the world of zappa.[/quote]<br>a smart marketing move apart from the ridiculous price point.  full list price?!  it boggles the mind.  how about "Primus Picks Cheap Thrills"?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:45 pm 

These compilations are not intended for the hardcore fans. I think it's unfair to boo them from this forum. I agree with the agency man, if anyone would stumble into the world of zappa after listening to these picks, then it's fine. <br><br>I heard the names of primus and phish but have never listened to any of those bands. I would have definately bought a compilation titled "Iron Maiden burns a Zappa CD for the road".<br><br>As for the commercial success of the picks series, here are the Amazon.com Sales Rank status (Nov. 23rd) of Phish picks  4881 (not bad, Fishman), and Primus picks 14,885 (Larry fucks up at the Amazon.com). For the record, the better known Zappa albums (shiek, apostrophe, etc.) are usually in the 8000-12,000 margin on the list.<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:31 am 

Wait a minute.<br><br>Celine Dion will be picking Zappa songs?<br><br>That could cause some sort of Massive Continuum Rift, thus invoking a Bizarre Wormhole Anomaly;<br>out of which a Stephen King version of "The Burl Ives Thing" would begin to mutate into form.<br><br>...couldn't it?

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:47 am 

[quote author=VapoSlob link=board=rant;num=1038031408;start=0#7 date=11/23/02 at 05:31:01]Wait a minute.<br>Celine Dion will be picking Zappa songs?<br>[/quote]<br>This needs clarification right away!<br><br>Nothing to add, as been said, the picks are a good thing to introduce new people to Zappa, and that sure ain't bad!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:46 am 

[quote author=bb link=board=rant;num=1038031408;start=0#8 date=11/23/02 at 07:47:30]<br><br><br>Nothing to add, as been said, the picks are a good thing to introduce new people to Zappa, and that sure ain't bad!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I agree the picks would be okay if they actually bring in new Zappa fans, but Ryko isn't marketing this properly.  The CD's come with a sticker on them that says, "File Under Zappa".  A Phish or Primus fan most likely isn't going to stumble into these releases unless it is with the Phish or Primus CDs.  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:14 am 

I find it funny that John Fishman and the rest of phish never really comment on the influence Zappa had on their music.  The countless tunes that in my mind are ripoffs of frank cords.  Yes, I have heard them mention FZ music, and Fishman tries to pull off "trouble every day" with his hack side band Pork Tornato, but for the most part, they do not give respect where respect is due.  <br>But in all fairness, I have not read the liner notes of these releases, so, there could be some discussion of influences.  Along with my disclaimer, I also think both of the "pickers" are quality musicians.