Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Frankensex
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:28 pm 

Frank and sex, that is.<br><br>Didn't see this topic brought up anywhere and thought I'd ask about it.<br><br>So, why do you think sex was such a popular topic in FZ songs?

Post subject: Re: Frankensex
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:35 pm 

It's great for a cheap laugh, people understands it, it makes for commercial 'success', it helps pass the time between more serious stuff, it gives the people what they want, it makes people want to see the show, it brings some money needed for other things, and, at last, Frank was a master at derision for that side of human nature.<br>For my part, I dig more the 'social-political' side of Frank. Sometimes, I get tired of listening to 'Torture never stops'. But, hey, just my 3cents (canadian, of course).<br> 8)

Post subject: Re: Frankensexgeneral
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:59 am 

Like Mij said.It's a common tie that binds us all, that everyone can laugh about.<br><br>And it fits his 'I don't care what your mama or the record company thinks' attitude toward his music and the music business, and people in general.<br><br>But probably, just for the cheap thrills.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:11 am 

Sex is an important part of life. Zappa knew that. Why doesn't Led Zeppelin get as much criticism for their lyrics? They are also about sex, but they don't say it straight like Zappa. I think most sexual perversions are funny (in a ha-ha way) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:36 pm 

I asked you a QUESTION Mr. White Dood!!!<br>Actually,I thought maybe it was his attempt at trying to 'counter' all the love songs out there. Or, negative attention is still attention-like with the Jewish Princess song, Catholic Girls...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:54 pm 

Hey now! Of course you realize, out of his whole catalog of tunes, the "dirty" ditties only added up to a fraction (and a small one, at that).He knew the fans would enjoy them and he was only commenting  on how funny he found the sexual mess ;D And as it has been stated before, quite a few were taken from true-life experiences--if not to him, then to members of the band.................and what's the difference,baby? ??? ???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:27 pm 

I think everything everyone has said here so far is true.  I also think it was his way of trying to shed the Puritanical bullshit that America can't seem to get rid of...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:02 pm 

Hey,guys! Did ya ever think he might have thought it was funny that people got themselves into such stupid predicaments over sex?<br>   He loved to point out stupid/outlandish behavior...so,why not have a laugh at the wild sex antics going on around him?<br>     How dumb is it to be plooked with a mud shark,or spanked with a hair brush,OR BOFFED BY A POODLE!!!!HA!  Maaan!  He said the building block of the universe was "stupidity"! Yep,write about what you know!   Ronnie saves his noomies,...the mystery blow-job'll turn yer peter green,...Hmmm...not too far off from each other ,are they?   Just reporting on the weirdness(stupidity) of humanity,that's how I see it.<br>     Sorry,I hope I haven't offended anyone. But Frank was ,to me ,like a reporter from a newspaper from another zone.One where every angle of human wackiness was to be posted,and especially the wildness of "life on the road"! The wild ,weird sex acts on the road were only one part of the madness of the rock & roll lifestyle.  Just see the Rolling Stones' "Cock Sucker Blues" movie on a bootleg video tape,and any story of Rock 'n' Roll road madness won't seem that far fetched....but the Stones were afraid to reveal that side of their life!   Not good ol' Frank,though!!!    HA!    <br>     One thing you've got to say is that he told the truth as he saw it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:25 am 

FZ once said that the only reason why he wrote the lyrics that he did, is because nobody else did...<br><br>And of course we all know that FZ's songs are all instrumentals and the other reason for (sex related) lyrics is that nobody really cares about instrumental music...at least that's what Frank once claimed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:04 am 

He wrote about what he knew and lived through. Many people mix up the "lyrical I" with reality. So, when he sings about Titties & Beer, people think he is a sexist. It is that simple. But a song like that has a lot more to it - as we all know!. But you can have fun in the stupid lyrics, the funky music, the Faust-like references or simply lough at bikers or rednecks. Never mind.<br>If you play his songs to people not familiar with his music, they mostly will remember the sexual things.<br>For instance:<br>PROMISCUOUS: "anal sex!"<br>STICK IT OUT: "fuck me, you ugly son of a bitch!"<br>and so forth...<br>Though I find his fondness on sex at times a bit childish, it was  one of the things that first got me hooked. Even in this section, the kind and intellectual level of the sex-lyrics vary a lot.... I think skilled or intelligent people who get hooked on one aspect of FZ have the nerve to look beyond and discover more to it.... ::)  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:25 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1036888127;start=15#16 date=11/13/02 at 03:46:04]<br><br>No you don't! C'mon, admit it...<br>[/quote]<br>Ahh,well,O.K.....Just have yer poodle PLOOK me for it !<br>       EEE,OW,OOK!!!!!    Hey,you know this just ain't that bad!    Come on Frenchie,SNAP IT!!!!  Only the best for my dog!!! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:00 pm 

HA! Just thought, isn't there a saying that people who talk about sex alot really aren't having it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:48 am 

[quote author=catpuke link=board=rant;num=1036888127;start=15#21 date=11/13/02 at 22:00:41]HA! Just thought, isn't there a saying that people who talk about sex alot really aren't having it?[/quote]<br>I know that saying. It works for almost everything: you talk about things you do not have.<br>I LIKE talking about sex. And I HAVE IT! ;D