Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: YER LIKE FOOD ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:07 pm 

ok, this is going to be a thread dedicated to FOOD . its about what yer all like to eat and how you cook it . i need to hear bout all the weird stuff we all like to eat including strange national dishes yer all may have and how to make em. we can cook eachothers recipies and report back regarding their yummieness - or not as the case may be. <br><br>mungo

Post subject: Re: YER LIKE FOOD ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:29 am 

Here in Voss in Norway we got something special called Smalahove. sheephead in english ;)<br><br>Its a head from a sheep that u burn, and then you make a fire under it so the smoke get in to it, and leave it there for a day. Then you cook it for 2 1\2 hour. mmmm ;D. the tongue and eye hole are the best ;D<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Voss is the only place in the world where they have mass production of smalahove. <br>Try it sometime its good :D<br><br> <br><br><br>

"I refuse to become what you call normal"
Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:08 am 

You can't beat a good ol' muffin. The muffin is, after all, the king of foodstuffs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:00 am 

[quote author=poncho link=board=rant;num=1047780475;start=0#4 date=03/16/03 at 05:08:35]You can't beat a good ol' muffin. The muffin is, after all, the king of foodstuffs.[/quote]<br><br><br>yeah muffins are good but i like semlor even more :P :P<br><br>i jsut eat plain yoghurt and some "havrefras" to breakfast ;D<br><br>and sometimes i eat something else :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:23 am 

"Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,<br>While I myself say there is naught, nor ought there be,<br>Nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey earth<br>As that Prince of Foods . . . The Muffin!" <br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:05 am 

[quote author=knepo link=board=rant;num=1047780475;start=0#3 date=03/16/03 at 04:29:05]Here in Voss in Norway we got something special called Smalahove. sheephead in english ;)..... the tongue and eye hole are the best ;D....<br><br>[img width=100 height=75]http://home.online.no/~bjuk/mat/smalahove.jpg[/img]<br>Voss is the only place in the world where they have mass production of smalahove. ....<br>Try it sometime its good :D[/quote]<br><br><br>you'll love it , it's a way of life....i'll stick to spam products...but, seriously, fire up the tandoori

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:19 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=rant;num=1047780475;start=0#7 date=03/16/03 at 12:05:43]....i'll stick to spam products...[/quote]<br><br>Good plan! Spam is a great substitute for real meat.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:26 am 

Meat made from the cows and pigs from our farm is just delicious ;D<br><br>It's a way too keep safe from all the "unnatureal" meat. and meat that is dangerous to eat. and you don't support the big farms that treat their animals bad.<br><br>I'm verry thankfull for what i got, and I wish everybody got a chance to experience it.<br>

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:31 am 

I still haven't tried the sea cucumber...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:21 pm 

YES KNEPO this is exactly the stuff i need - you know that as i was postin this thread i was half expecting willythepimp to give me that norwegian recipe that involves burying fish in the ground till they get really rank and rotten but your sheeps heads do the trick nicely - i always knew norwegian cookin was much neglected - tell us about the yeast sticks too - for the beer.<br><br>and i agree with your philosophy regarding animal husbandry / slaughter - just mind you lot keep out of the EU or else things will change for the worse.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:05 am 

[quote author=mungo link=board=rant;num=1047780475;start=0#14 date=03/17/03 at 14:21:54]YES KNEPO this is exactly the stuff i need - you know that as i was postin this thread i was half expecting willythepimp to give me that norwegian recipe that involves burying fish in the ground till they get really rank and rotten but your sheeps heads do the trick nicely - i always knew norwegian cookin was much neglected - tell us about the yeast sticks too - for the beer.<br><br>and i agree with your philosophy regarding animal husbandry / slaughter - just mind you lot keep out of the EU or else things will change for the worse.<br><br>mungo[/quote]<br><br>You put alot of pressure on me now  :-/<br><br>But Ill do my best.<br>The rotten fish stuff I don't know much of cuz I live in the west with the mountains, and the rotten fish is manly from North with the sea. And I don't really like fish ::).<br><br>One nice thing we got is all the blood food made of blood and flour. You got Blood pudding, blood sausages abd blood "kodle" (cant translate this).<br><br>yest sticks?<br>

Lemmy Caution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:06 pm 

" man to the hills , woman to the shore " - an old saying <br><br>yep , the yeast sticks are for making the beer for which you need yeast to turn the carbohydrate into alcohol - the yeast consumes the carbohydrate and excretes alcohol - as the yeast is a living , breeding thing you onlt need a small ammount to put in the brew , when its done there is very much more yeast than you have to start with - anyway as i get it your norwegian home brewers keep the yeast on sticks - from trees - and just stirr the yeast stick in the brew at the start to get the thing going - some of these yeast sticks are hundred of years old i think and contain really good and rare strains of yeast<br><br>" eat more meat " - keith floyd<br><br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:43 am 

Kidneys, chips and cucumber.<br>I don't know from where it originates, my dad's Dutch so it might come from there as he's the one who introduced it to me. Anyway, you need:-<br><br>1) A couple of pig's or lamb's kidneys. I tend to go for lamb's kidneys as they're a little bit sweeter.<br><br>2) Thinly sliced cucumber(skin removed) that's been soaked in white vinegar (if you can get it, but brown vinegar will do so long as it's not malt vinegar-ughh!) with salt and pepper for a couple of hours.<br><br>3) Potatoes<br><br>4) Fresh white bread<br><br>Slice the kidneys across into about 6-8 cross-sectioned pieces. Then fry the fuck out of them until they turn into little ice hockey pucks. This tends to take away the strong kidney taste and leaves them just right.<br>Cut the potatoes into chips (fries or frites). Fry them to your liking.<br>Slice and butter the fresh bread.<br>Serve the lot on a plate with the cucumber on the kidneys just to soften and pickle them a little, and the bread to mop up the mixed vinegar and kidney juice-luuuuuvvly!!  <br>WARNING: This recipe has been known to leave kitchens stinking for days and sometimes weeks afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 am 

Think maybe the cucumber bit is Dutch. Had it with everything when visiting my grandparents in Arnhem. Either that or they just liked pickled cucumber!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:54 am 

Yeah, I like a steak and kidney pie. Very English.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:03 am 

And it goes really well with sliced pickled cucumber!!  ;)