Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:59 am 

Who is your favorite???<br><br>If i was pushed (if someone was to put a gun to my head, that is...) i would say Wackerman, but it's nearly impossible to choose, because the 3 of them all are truly magnificent drummers and the three of them all did great things while being in FZ's band....<br><br>Suddenly a thought springs to mind: What if Keith Moon was a drummer for Zappa at one time, could you imagine???<br>Or how about this: Bozzio and Moon playing together: a duel so to speak: both great drummers, both great personality's, both have a great sense of humor and the both of them are a little bit crazy...<br>This should at least be interesting to watch (and listen to) don't you think...???

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:36 pm 

Vinnie by a mile ;D. He's the only drummer I've heard who is close to equalling Tony Williams 8).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:02 pm 

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Vinnie Colaiuta on this one. The guy was amazing with Zappa. I don't really keep track of Zappa alumi but I wonder what he's up to these days.<br><br>I have a question regarding Vinnie actually. When Zappa introduces him in "Panty Rap" on tinsel town, he says;<br>"Vinnie Colaiuta on booklet".<br><br>What the hell is "booklet"?  :-/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:41 pm 

From what I've heard, I'd also say Colaiuta is my favorite. I can't believe so many here are in agreement about that. I'm not saying anything about their ability, but there's something about Vinnie's style that just gets me. Zappa has made comments about Colaiuta as if he was FZ's favorite, perhaps.<br><br>However, I love all of 'em, and I don't think this thread should be so pro-Vinnie. :o<br><br>Do you think Bozzio's the most innovative? He's been doing a lot of inredible stuff on his own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:02 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
I can't believe you bunch of carnaby cuties with no metion of Aynsley Dunbar!  :o   His Drum solo on waka/jawaka is one of my favs.  Especially all that stuff w/ flo n eddie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:31 pm 

I have to stick up for Terry Tad. Propulsive, rocking, rollicking, teenage, skinny, petulant, pouting TB. <br><br>I always crack up watching him preen and do the whole cum-face routine during Baby Snakes. <br><br>I admire & respect Vinnie, but will always be a rocker at heart...my favourite jazz drummer is Jack DeJohnette fer chrissakes  ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:03 am 

[quote author=drooling_savant link=board=rant&num=1031320759&start=0#7 date=09/06/02 at 22:02:57]<br>I can't believe you bunch of carnaby cuties with no metion of Aynsley Dunbar!  :o <br>[/quote]<br><br>Carnaby cuties? Not sure what that is saying exactly. Anyway, Aynsley was not in the list, hence his lack of mention.<br><br>But to add, he is a giant in his own right. I loved his contributions to Bowie, Journey (check out Topaz  ;D ) & Jefferson Starship as well. He always sounds like he's playing those skins with a couple billy clubs....he was loud!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:07 am 

Chester Thompson is the one..If you see him on the concert-video "A token of his extreme " from 1974 you know what I mean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:16 am 

What about Jimmy Carl Black the indian of the group. No not the best but what the hell he deserves a mention too.<br><br>Frank said it best "This is Ansley Dumbar, he sounds like two drummers"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:17 am 

I know, I know its Dunbar.  ;D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:19 am 

Yes,  in that order , Yes

l)
l

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:43 pm 

damn....everyone that has played with frank is soooooo amazing  :o<br><br>today, i would go with bozzio<br><br>tomorrow.........?<br><br> 8)

www.weavils.com
www.mp3.com/weavils

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:21 pm 

Location: Wandering aimlessly through the American wasteland...
<br>[quote author=RZZZZZ link=board=rant&num=1031320759&start=0#9 date=09/07/02 at 05:03:39]Carnaby cuties? Not sure what that is saying exactly. [/quote]<br>Ref:  Psycotic's Playgroud/Billy The Mountain - "..That's only 100 ft, you carnaby cutie...!" - Howard Kalan?<br><br>The drum rolls that allow you to visualize Stud Hawk falling 200ft to his death!   Ansley!<br><br>I saw Journey's debut at Winterland in 73 or 74?. On the Same bill was the Tubes (opener) and Mahavishnu Orchestra II w/ Ponty.  I was there to see Mahavishnu, so I was the first one in - Right to the front of the stage!<br><br>When Journey finished their first song, just blowing everyone away, I saying out loud, "Who the fuck is that drummer?"<br><br>"Man, that's Ansley Dunbar, used to be in Zappa's band!"<br><br>Say no more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:25 pm 

no one has a better understanding of time and how to mess with it than Colaiuta....<br>Frank could manipulate time and loved all odd meters... and i think that's why the solos on Joe's garage were so rhythmically out there and tight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:00 am 

don't you forget Master Logeman, he played marvellous drums !<br>By the way: Does anybody know, what has become of him ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:58 am 

Zappa always used to have good drummers. Okay JCB wasn`t the one, and Billy Mundy..?<br>But Bozzio is totally crazy, Colaiuta was Franks favorite, as he says in his book, the big prize goes to him for keeping up with his guitar impros. Wackerman used to be my favorite, because he played with him for such a long time, there is more stuff ti listen to. But Chester Thompson, especially during the fall tour of 1974, is just marvellous - and very black! Aynsley Dunbar did great work,too. Listen to Waka/Jawaka and the 1971 King Kong Solo on YCDTOSA Vol. 3....<br><br>Yes, Keith Moon, intersting. But you needed discipline playing with Frank, I feel Moon the Loon would have had trouble keeping up with things like The Black Page, POund Fo A Brown or The Be-Bop Tango...<br><br> <br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:51 am 

Vinnie is number 1, Ansley finishing a close second, tied with Terry.<br><br>Let's not forget Chester Thompson as well!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:55 am 

From a pure nostalgic point of view.....Jimmy Carl Black.<br><br>From a pure ability point of view......Bozzio and Dunbar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:26 am 

Chester injected the most groove into Zappa's songs - he could turn the tricky parts into funk... a major feat.<br>Bozzio mastered the pure rock aspect totally - it's no wonder Zappa used him right when punk was coming out; who else would have been able to capture "I'm So Cute?" at its moment in history?<br>Colaiuta is probably my favorite, if only for Joe's and Shut Up - some of the most ear-bending, pure drumkit fantasy ever recorded.<br>Dunbar was the perfect man for the job when the whole teen-male world was shouting "Zeppelin Rules!"  He kinda blew Bonham away really, honestly, don'tcha think?<br>Wackerman is awesome, though weirdly lacking in the groove department sometimes; some of the live stuff is way too tossed-off speedwise.  saw him with Banned From Utopia though, and he blew me away.<br>...And all the rest.  Jeez, FZ really knew how to pick a drummer, didn't he?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:21 pm 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=rant;num=1031320759;start=0#0 date=09/06/02 at 05:59:18]<br>Or how about this: Bozzio and Moon playing together: a duel so to speak?[/quote]<br><br>Unless it were a dual of who can play with more abandon and less precision or technique, Keith Moon would get absolutely shat on by Bozzio.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:14 am 

That's my Hit Parade:<br><br>1. Colaiuta (He's a machine with a big big heart)<br>2. Wackerman (Great groove IMO)<br>3. Bozzio (Too much "rocker" - great and funny anyway)<br><br>Ciao