Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Zappa Pubs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:23 am 

I know where I am going next year on holiday....<br>Well i don't know of any Zappa Pubs, but i know of a coffeeshop (where you can buy weed...) in Amsterdam (where else ???), and it's called:<br><br>Cannabis Cafe ''De Kuil''<br>the sign on the window says: ''Classic Rock & FZ ''<br><br>The owner of this esthablishment is a big fan of classic rock and ESPECIALLY of FZ...<br><br>In the Cafe they actually play Zappa's music and they even have a list of all the Zappa records they have, and they almost have them all...<br><br>Isn't that a contradiction ???<br><br>Music from an artist who is Anti-Drugs is being played in a place where they sell soft drugs ???<br>I wonder what Frank would have to say about this ???<br><br>For those of you who are interested in the cafe and actually want to visit it the next time they are in Amsterdam, here's the address:<br><br>Oudebrugsteeg 27<br>Amsterdam<br><br>or visit<br><br>www.cannabis-cafe.com<br><br>Just for the record, i DON'T use myself....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:05 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#2 date=11/07/02 at 06:59:15]In Chicago there's a podiatrist named Frank Zappa, M.D. Can you believe all the shit he must get? I should go in and see him for my severe Bromodrosis, er, stinkfoot. Hehehehe.[/quote]<br><br>And maybe his dog is called Fido and brings you your slippers, who knows ???<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:09 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#1 date=11/07/02 at 05:23:22]I know where I am going next year on holiday....<br>Isn't that a contradiction ???<br><br>Music from an artist who is Anti-Drugs is being played in a place where they sell soft drugs ???<br>I wonder what Frank would have to say about this ???<br><br>Just for the record, i DON'T use myself....[/quote]<br><br>It looks like a contradictium, but that`s what we call al calssic example of cultural study: people use the articacts and sounds and images or whatsoever from the popular cultur and make something out of it for themselves. I guess many FZ fans (especially in the 70s) smoked pot or marihuana and lisetned to his tunes. I feel it fits and many folks I know just dont believe in FZ being an anti-user. Weird music=weird guy=drug use! <br><br>The pub above is in germany, right? The postal code signs to be in the deep south...<br><br>I don&acute;t know of any pubs like that. But one of the thinks me and a freind were thinking about opning a pub like that. In 1990 a gas station near us closed down, so we fugured out what it would be like to make a pub out of it. We would call it Joe&acute;s Garage, put a sign behind the counter which reads: wind up working in a gas station, play FZ and related stuff, sell Burnt Weenie Sandwiches, the menu card would be named cosmik debris.... and on the toilet we&acute;d have the guitar albums running all the time. You could do odd things like that. But it would  mean nothing to a non.zappaphile. And you cannot run a pub on just a handful of hard cores. ::)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:12 am 

Jeeezus, look at my typing above! Phew! >:( <br>Anyway. Hope you guys know what I&acute;s talkin&acute;bout!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:13 am 

[quote author=zliq link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#5 date=11/07/02 at 08:12:10]Jeeezus, look at my typing above! Phew! >:( <br>Anyway. Hope you guys know what I&acute;s talkin&acute;bout![/quote]<br><br>FUCK! what is that? It is not my fault! My keyboard does not do what I want it to!!! >:( >:( >:(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:17 pm 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#0 date=11/07/02 at 04:59:12] :) Guess what my partner saw and photographed (thanks, Keith) yesterday while he was in Germany inspecting some machines? Right, ur right, a Zappa Pub:<br><br>Image<br>Image<br><br>The Zappa Pub is located in 92342 Rohr, Freystadter Strasse.<br><br><br>Did anybody else find some more Zappa Pubs anywhere in the world?<br><br><br><br><br>[/quote]Brilliant - hope he popped in for a pint.  It's a pity there are not more of them round the world eh! ;)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:37 am 

The cannabis cafe De Kuil is where I discovered F.Z! I love that place.  I specifically go to Amsterdam ( I live in the U.K) a couple of times a year just to hang out there for four or five days. Great weed and great music, that's paradise to me. You've gotta check it out if ever you're in Amsterdam.<br>Oh, and I do use!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:25 am 

[quote author=Mr_Man link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#10 date=11/14/02 at 07:37:25]The cannabis cafe De Kuil is where I discovered F.Z! I love that place.  I specifically go to Amsterdam ( I live in the U.K) a couple of times a year just to hang out there for four or five days. Great weed and great music, that's paradise to me. You've gotta check it out if ever you're in Amsterdam.<br>Oh, and I do use![/quote]<br><br>Good for you....<br>It makes me wonder what they will do in December 2003 when The Man has been gone for 10 years...<br>Will they remember to throw some sort of Memorial Party or something....if they do, i'll be there.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:42 am 

It'd be cool if they did, I'll ask next time I'm there. Though that's not gonna be for a couple of months, a couple of months too long!<br>We should have that Virtual party night here though. We could start it this year, on the day The Man died, a kinda celebration/commemoration type thing. <br>I've never had a Virtual plook, could be interesting, should be fun!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:48 am 

[quote author=Mr_Man link=board=rant;num=1036673952;start=0#12 date=11/14/02 at 08:42:14]It'd be cool if they did, I'll ask next time I'm there. Though that's not gonna be for a couple of months, a couple of months too long!<br>We should have that Virtual party night here though. We could start it this year, on the day The Man died, a kinda celebration/commemoration type thing. <br>I've never had a Virtual plook, could be interesting, should be fun![/quote]<br><br>How about a Tiny But Exciting Virtual Blow-ow-job.....<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:58 am 

With a tongue like a cow she could make you go wow!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:14 pm 

There is a pub in Arendal, Norway called Zappa. They used to have a website, but it no longer exists apparently. I was in there one time, but no Zappa was played.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:47 am 

I`m Norwegian. That page describes a festival taking place in Arendal. Some of the concerts and jamsessions are being held in the Zappa pub. The festival is called Canalstreet and I think it`s an annual thing.

Post subject: re: zappa pubs
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:46 pm 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.