Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:13 am 

Do you quote Zappa at any possible oppurtunity, do you do some of the stuff he said, do you obide by Zappa music like christians obide by the bible?<br>Tell me!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:09 am 

I can't listen to Frank's music religiously, but I do talk to people about Frank quite often. My favorite line is YOU CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH FRANK. Just like it says under my flashing photo of Frank to the left. ;D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:55 pm 

All what is been said above +<br><br>sometimes, I listen to it in a 'mystical' manner, and in that respect religiously...<br><br>On CP3, he uses the image of "the Big Note". <br>In this respect, when I am in a melancholic or metaphysical kinda state of mind, I do feel myself as a part the big piano we all inhabit, or I feel myself like some cosmic debris, etc, etc. It may sound stupid, but sometimes it does feel that way. Mystical, that is the term for it.<br><br>besides all that, I am an atheist - that doesn't stop me from having a 'religious' feeling from time to time. I just do not ascribe them to a God, but just to the world, the 'real', existence in general, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:52 pm 

Im like a mad monk when it comes to frank. I play him to girls on cruccial dates, I sing verbatim whole songs that relate to particular situations in peoples lives around me, hell I throw him into just about everything. Seriously though, sometimes I think its taking over my life ???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:35 pm 

Well don't worry. We all love you for it.  ;D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:52 am 

Zappa is about as close to religion as I get.  i am definitely looking at the world through Frank-colored glasses.  every minute of my life for years has pretty much passed through a Zappa filter on one level or another.  he's my guru, my RQ DeNameland.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:30 am 

Religiously, no. It would mean having a God-like relation with him and for me he wasn't God.<br>I would rather say that I often quote his spirit and his wits from passages from his book. Specially to persons who think he is a jerk because of his look and his music. I found out that we're meeting more of the real Frank in his book. I think he is one of the few truly Americans in USA, like it should have been understood and lived. It's more obvious in these days of 'We are the World' kind of US attitude. In fact, USA needs more men like him to act as whistle-blowers when madness seems to be THE thing. Learn to think instead of saying blindly YES to Mr. America. Even if it means being LESS patriotic to some.<br>Frank was a kind and gentle man. Everyone who had the pleasure to talk with him would agree. He was a family man more than the average americans can pretend to be. His children are not f**cked up and they learned to think for themselves. Frank was no God but he was truly a FREE MAN.<br>In fact, I think I should let people who don't know him read the book before listening to his music. They might not like the music he's done (and it's OK, not everybody should have the same likes and dislikes), but at least, they would respect THE MAN.  <br>Have a nice time in this Holiday's Season.    8)  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:15 pm 

I honestly don't think it's very healthy to listen to one person 'religiously' to the exclusion of others.  Frank's perspective and intelligence certainly are a big influence on me but you need balance in life-you need to hear other voices.  Frank was a very cynical guy and to try to emulate that cynicism is probably not the wisest thing to do.<br><br>For balance in my life I turn to my Bill Hicks and Ween CD's.  Oh God, I am fucked!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:31 am 

;D We listen to jazz on the radio, but when it comes to CD's, it's mostly Frank and Arthur Barrow.  We like Zappa mostly because it isn't boring or depressing or full of crap to get you hooked on it. Usually, people like it because they like it.  And of course it's good for you like eating your vegetables.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:15 am 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=rant;num=1040325232;start=15#16 date=12/21/02 at 07:16:27]<br><br><br><br>Ween=Zappa Haters<br><br><br>Yes. Yes, I do. He is not to replace God, but I really do enjoy listening to him. <br>[/quote]<br>Uhhhh!!!!  Ween uttered something unflattering about Frank? Off with their heads!!<br><br>I like Ween and Frank both very much much.  I've listened to Frank for 26 years and Ween for 3.  So what if Ween doesn't like Frank?  That's kinda what I meant about being able to listen to other voices without having your "religion" automatically form your opinion for you. <br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:24 pm 

Frank Zappa was and is always one of my favorite listens!  I can always find one of his albums that fits my mood.  I've spent many years just searching out his releases(before the re-issues),and I still love to hear a song with even the most remote connection to his "conceptual continuity".So, I have spent even more time looking for related side projects,influences,and influenced bands.(What happened to Phish's Zappa related sounds?)<br>   He opened my mind to Avant Jazz,Chamber Music,and DooWop. <br>    What would you term listening "religiously"?<br>    I don't think that Frank was God. But,for the past 25 years I have listened to his music,and I followed his life 'til it's end.   I think it is a beautiful thing that he helped cause a revolution freeing Czechoslovakia through his influence on the Plastic People Of The Universe,and I hope his music helps cause good changes in the future.<br>   There is no time when I have forgotten him since I discovered his music...and that might count as religious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:30 pm 

[quote author=dean link=board=rant;num=1040325232;start=15#17 date=12/21/02 at 10:15:30]<br>Uhhhh!!!!  Ween uttered something unflattering about Frank? Off with their heads!!<br><br>I like Ween and Frank both very much much.  I've listened to Frank for 26 years and Ween for 3.  So what if Ween doesn't like Frank?  That's kinda what I meant about being able to listen to other voices without having your "religion" automatically form your opinion for you. <br><br><br>[/quote]To continue this Ween thing a little bit, I being a relatively new Ween fan, just checked out their forum for the heck of it and there does seem to be quite a bit of dislike for our man Frank from some of their fans.  In general, they're not a very civilized lot and don't provide much intellectual stimulation in their posting which i guess you could say reflects the band's product. In fairness, their fan base is much younger than FZ's and I'm sure they are far more enthusiastic about taking drugs than your average FZ fan, which could skew their perspective.  Having said all that, I think Ween is a hoot. <br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:48 pm 

The Ween ,in their early days were a fantastic spontanious talent/wit.   Too bad some of their fans don't like Frank.<br>     The POD is a fantastic psychedelic parody CD....LOVE the FAT LENNY,too!!!!! ;D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:16 pm 

I started listening to Zappa back in 74 and I was amazed. I bought all kinds of FZ vinyl, cassettes and now I have 32 differant cd sets. I don't listen to Frank like I used to, but he sure help open up my ears musically. I like bluegrass, blues, jazz, Americana, some rock, and even some country. I just have a problem listening to mainstream music, for some reason. Most of the stuff that I like, you won't hear on fm radio, which fm kinda sucks now anyway. I love Robert Johnson and Charley Patton's delta blues of the thirties, The Stanley Brothers old style mountain music, Cowboy Junkies, Alison Krauss, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday, R.L.Burnside, Bela Fleck, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, and much more. FZ showed me how to keep my ears musically open. I hope this wasn't to long, and I didn't bore the dogshit out of everybody. <br><br>np - Townes Van Zandt<br><br>cd -  Live & Obscure<br><br>tune - Tecumseh Valley<br><br>Breezy<br><br> 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:58 am 

[quote author=DadaMama link=board=rant;num=1040325232;start=0#7 date=12/19/02 at 19:17:33]I do, and I find it makes me extremely unpopular! ;D[/quote]<br><br>You said it!  When friends are over and FZ plays on the CD player, I am hailed by a round of BOOs.  Mainly with the 10 min. long instrumentals.  <br><br>But screw them, I've no need to get my status back today.<br><br>Go paint some posters!<br>

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:48 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1040325232;start=0#3 date=12/19/02 at 12:34:27]....I occasionally slip little Zappaisms into my daily conversation....[/quote]<br>i try not to anymore; the occasional inadvertant [font=times new roman]yowsa yowsa yowsa[/font] or [font=times new roman]not a specka cereal[/font] elicits a blank stare, but [font=times new roman]shake it more than 3 times[/font] generally gets a chuckle, i'll play zappa at home, half the time w/headphones on, but my wife grudgingly enjoys london.s.o. & the perfect stranger....ireligiously? maybe selected tracks off guitar about once a week

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:14 pm 

Well, maybe not religiously but... from a sociological and philosophical point of view absolutely yes.<br>I find a lot of ideas about society and ways of life in Zappa music (and in words too)...<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 2:35 pm 

My mother and I saw a lady with a cheap department store type poncho on, not Mexican or real, and both craked up and repeated the line.<br><br>"Is that a real poncho or is that a sears poncho?"<br><br>She didn't get it, she didn't realise it was a poncho that she was wearing.