Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All zapped out
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:19 am 

I know that most of us all listen to FZ some time during most days but have there been times when you could not bare to listen to him at all?<br><br>mine came about 6 months after his death i had been listening to most of my FZ CDs almost non stop when I realized that I had overdosed on him and could not listen any longer, it lasted about 6 weeks, not a note of FZ passed my Aural appendages and then i needed my fix once again.<br><br>I am now totally cured of this somewhat strange disease and am listening normally again.<br><br><br>any other takers

Post subject: Re: All zapped out
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:28 am 

well, yes and no.  sometimes i have to chill out on his stuff because i listen every day, and have a bad habit of getting all those nasty figures stuck in my head, driving me almost to the point of insanity, but not in a bad way (1988 packard goose arrangement has been haunting me lately).  so i listen to something more simple, so my brain doesn't pop.  it's only information overload, nothing to be scared of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:46 am 

thanks for your question, i thought thre were only absolute and exclusive zappa fanatics here. <br><br>For many years i thought he was the best "in his kind", but i've always listened to many different music at the same time. <br>Yellow Magic Orchestra, Chopin, XTC, and many many others.<br><br>After i listened to "the best band" CDs, little by little i've stopped listening to zappa's music. I have all of his albums, though, plus all in CD, and i used to know allof them. <br>But there are some other musics, some other talents, many other good musicians, composers, and they are some "other Zappa" to discover. New technology is changing music too, in interesting ways.  And japaneese are very good.<br><br>When i discovered Zappa i thought it was something huge. Now i think they are several to be huge. Precisely because they are very different and complementary in Music.<br><br>Now,  i listen closely to Hoagy Carmichael's songs, and his piano playing really worth Steve Vay's guitars. His scores are fabulously sweet, friendly, with sensible colors i've never heard on any other piano. A lot of Bix Beiderbecke too, and lots of 1920 "Hot" music.<br><br>Paul Whiteman's orchestra, with Bix leading the reeds section worth Zappa's "best band", and for me they're even better, 60 years before !!.<br>Duke Ellington's 1928-29 orchestra too.<br>But they're all differents, in different times, playing in different conditions for different audiences too.<br><br>Though i have not listen to a zappa's record since several weeks, i think he's one of the best.  Amongst others.<br>It has no sense  to compare Zappa to Hoagy Carmichael, or Bix, or Duke, or to Yellow magic orchestra, or Chopin....<br>Last good surprise was 808state 's "Don Solaris"wich is a great CD !! A kind of electronic Zappart of noise?<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:12 pm 

no fucking way<br><br>the more i listen the more i regret not having more time to listen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:41 pm 

I understand that, <br>But he's mot the ONLY ONE who writtes or plays good music.<br>maybe some day it will lead you to something else...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:42 pm 

I can't listen to FZ when I need to really get things done that require deep concentration. It's just too distracting. I find Zappa requires "active listening" during, then occupies my mind for some time after. I actually have to schedule time for that these days, and lately it's just not in my temporarily overloaded "time/focus/concentration budget." However, I have been listening to "Ahead of their time" to clear all the other shit out of my head while I'm driving. I guess since a lot of it is "a play," it works out OK. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:59 pm 

[quote author=mr_myxyltpyx link=board=rant;num=1054671594;start=0#0 date=06/03/03 at 13:19:54]I know that most of us all listen to FZ some time during most days but have there been times when you could not bare to listen to him at all?<br><br>mine came about 6 months after his death i had been listening to most of my FZ CDs almost non stop when I realized that I had overdosed on him and could not listen any longer, it lasted about 6 weeks, not a note of FZ passed my Aural appendages and then i needed my fix once again.<br><br>I am now totally cured of this somewhat strange disease and am listening normally again.<br><br><br>any other takers[/quote]<br><br><br>I had the opposite reaction. I stopped listening for about six mnonths when Zappa died, and then snapped ouyt of my funk.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:55 pm 

i used to listen to the muffin man solo almost every day, then every other day, then went about a month without listening to it (but listened to other fz), now it's back in the regular rotation....these days, i can't get winos do not march out of my head, & like swiftkick now, find it totally distracting, i sometimes loose my train of thought & have to re-focus on what i need to do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:28 am 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1054671594;start=0#8 date=06/03/03 at 20:42:46][tt]<br><br>The Packard Goose medley always haunts me (especially the May 17th show from the Sports Palace in Barcelona - excellent! :o). But like youself, in the best possible way...[/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br>i've seen that video, great show.  is that the "raffle never stops" show?  funny set

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:55 am 

[quote author=mr_myxyltpyx link=board=rant;num=1054671594;start=0#0 date=06/03/03 at 13:19:54]I know that most of us all listen to FZ some time during most days but have there been times when you could not bare to listen to him at all?<br><br>mine came about 6 months after his death i had been listening to most of my FZ CDs almost non stop when I realized that I had overdosed on him and could not listen any longer, it lasted about 6 weeks, not a note of FZ passed my Aural appendages and then i needed my fix once again.<br><br>I am now totally cured of this somewhat strange disease and am listening normally again.<br><br><br>any other takers[/quote]<br><br>Never happened to me... of course is understandable but he did so much different things that I always find something interesting and amazing to my ears.<br><br>Ciao <br><br>Ciao<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:16 am 

I feel a bit Zapped out today actually. Off work today so I've been playing an RPG called Morrowind on the pc, while listening to as much of Zappa's catalogue as possible. Starting from Freak out! Ive got as far as tinsel town and my head is awash with Zappa.