Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:12 pm 

#2: rythmical dissonance<br><br>he explains this concept in THE REAL FZ BOOK... pretty close to xenocrony but it's referred mainly to drums.<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:18 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=rant;num=1056580034;start=0#3 date=06/27/03 at 11:05:40]Well, Zappa might not have invented independence as a concept, but, as far as I know, he was the first major artist to make sure that he got ownership of his own master tapes and the rights to release them on vinyl or CD, any which way he wanted to.[/quote]<br><br>Great! Never thought about this... :)<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:40 am 

I think he invented a pretty unique guitar style, but I haven't heard all the guitarists he named as influences, so I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:45 pm 

#10) music-on-demand: A PROPOSAL FOR A SYSTEM TO REPLACE PHONOGRAPH RECORD MERCHANDISING<br>...as described in the real fz book, before cd's were on the market & a 'digital device' (cd player) was in the $700 range:<br><br>
Quote:
...record merchandising as it exists today is a stupid process which concerns itself essentially with moving pieces of plastic wrapped in pieces of cardboard from one location to another....
<br><br>frank goes on to describe how shitty vinyl production, QC & shipping methods were...<br><br>
Quote:
...new digital technology may eventually solve the warpage problem and provide the consumer with better quality sound in the form of compact discs [CDs]
<br><br>the crux of this biscuit was that frank wanted to aquire rights to digitally duplicate the best of every record companies difficult-to-move music languishing in the vaults, ...<br><br>
Quote:
because of the latest & greatest of whatever the cocaine-tweezed rug munchers decide to inflict on everybody this week
...store them in a central processing location, & have them accesible by phone or cable tv, directly patchable to the consumers home taping appliance....<br><br><br>
Quote:
...a visualization of the original cover art, lyrics, techical data etc. could be diplayed while the (cable tv) transmission is in progress, giving the project an electronic whiff of the original...album...since there are many consumers who like to fondle & fetish the packaging while the music is being played....Fondlement and Fetishism Potential is being supplied without the cost of shipping tons of cardboard around.
<br><br>hmmm...gail, whaddya think?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:57 am 

Necessity is the father of invention.  Or mother. <br><br>[move]The Mother Fuckers of Invention[/move]<br><br>He invented casual profanity and enlightenment for $7.99 /ea.<br><br>Just a random thought!<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:38 am 
[quote author=Hungry Freak link=board=rant;num=1056580034;start=0#5 date=06/27/03 at 11:40:22]I think he invented a pretty unique guitar style, but I haven't heard all the guitarists he named as influences, so I might be wrong.[/quote]<br><br>Correctemento! Zappa's guitar solos were "instant compositions."<br><br>B.<br>  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:32 am 

[quote author=Butch link=board=rant;num=1056580034;start=0#10 date=06/28/03 at 06:57:25]..He invented casual profanity and enlightenment for $7.99 /ea...[/quote]<br>good one butchy :) ....for additional discussion:<br><br>[sub][img width=66 height=16] http://216.127.92.67/webgraphics/arrows ... ed_030.gif  [/img][/sub]re: ZAPPA FIRSTS<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:42 pm 

could we say that frank pioneered what came to become labeled as "progressive-rock?"  i know thats pretty vague...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:39 pm 

This thread has got my panties all in a wad.  Just imagine if our main man was still around today with today's technology--what kind of mind-blowing, paradigm-shifting, sublime tunes would he poot forth? ??? ??? ???<br><br>

using a chicken to measure it...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:32 am 

What a GRRRRREAT thread...thanks Arkie...great takes, especially MTF and Complainin....I agree with C-man...Frank's stuff is truly mind boggling...his output and musical intelligence is beyond comprehension...I mean, just Uncle Meat alone...I've been listening to it for 27 years, and that music still continues to evolve and teach me new things...whenever I think I finally know it, I hear it again on an entiely different level... <br><br>Someone once wrote that sax players could easily spend their entire careers analyzing and learning to play just a few of Coltrane's solos...well for me its the same with FZ's music...<br><br>Now I can't cite specifics, but I'm certain Frank must have "invented" many guitar playing techniques, sounds, noises, soloing devices, etc. I remember reading an interview with Adrian Belew, who was listing all these things Frank taught him on guitar...<br><br>Also, the "cut and splice" technique used on Lumpy Gravy seems to be a precursor of modern sampling...

>You don't.