Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Satriani Vs Vai
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:51 am 

[quote author=KingKong link=board=rant;num=1047903712;start=15#26 date=07/09/03 at 11:43:06]Steve Vai - the most versatile guitarist alive!<br><br>Seriously, is there anything he can't play?[/quote]<br><br>No I dont think there is.<br>I often wonder why people always want to compare him to Satriani. Is it because of the shared background, being that Satriani gave Vai lessons. <br>I don't even consider them on the same plane of playing of one another. <br>Vai is the better of the two in my opinion. But satriani also taught Kirk Hammett. I guess we all know who would win that poll ::)<br>But since we are comparing. I think Satriani tends to become stagnant after a listen or two, where as Vai captivates and lifts the imagination to respond to the emotion of the notes that he plays, making each listen sound fresh and exciting 8)<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:02 pm 

[quote author=eyebnez link=board=rant;num=1047903712;start=15#27 date=07/09/03 at 11:51:51]<br>Satriani gave Vai lessons. <br><br> But satriani also taught Kirk Hammett. [/quote]<br><br>Satriani also gave lessons to Larry "Ler" Lalonde, of Primus and Possessed.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:04 pm 

Cool Butch. Thanks for the info. I did not know that ;D<br>Who woulda' thunk it.<br>JAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:03 pm 

i too saw g3 2001 in boston.  vai was better.  satriani looked like he was in an ad for "rock star, how to be one."  but i will say that keneally was left in the shadows of vai's band and was kept out of the jam session at the end for good reason... he would have ripped all of their heads off!  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:03 am 

[quote author=johnoppel link=board=rant;num=1047903712;start=30#30 date=07/09/03 at 20:03:24]but i will say that keneally was left in the shadows of vai's band and was kept out of the jam session at the end for good reason... he would have ripped all of their heads off!  [/quote]<br><br>Yeah... It was a [glow=red,2,300]G4[/glow]... but Vai rules as a composer too...<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:41 pm 

Its hard to compare.... Satriani was the teacher of steve Vai, Vailearned a lot from Satriani...<br><br>I like the both but i refer Satriani