Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Zappa Experiene
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:38 am 

This has probably already been covered here, but I'm new to the forum & I figure this is as good a way as any to introduce myself.<br><br>So, I'm wondering what people's first Zappa-memories are. <br><br>Mine occours back in about 1987-88, when I was 10 or 11 ( I think, it may hev been later than this). My uncle was visiting from interstate. He was something of a Zappa fiend and I remember him staying up all night listening to Zappa albums on my parent's stereo. He fell asleep (or, more likely, passed out) listening to 'The Dangerous Kitchen'.  I've had an interest in the music of Frank Zappa, and a particular soft-spot for that song, ever since. Without my uncle's influence I may not have discoverd these aural joys until may years later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:47 am 

First of all: WELCOME !!!<br><br>Second of all: Yes indeed, this topic has been covered before...<br><br>Third of all: My first FZ experience was actually on the day the news reached Holland that FZ had died...<br>The 4th of 5th december 1994 and i was 11 years old at the time.<br><br>Me and my dad we're watching the news on the telly and then they'd announced that sad,sad news...<br><br>My dad went like:''No, not yet..''<br>and didn't say anything after that anymore...after the news was over he just turned off the TV, walked to his stereo and pulled out and played FZ records for the rest of the night...<br><br>Until that moment i never knew who FZ was, and i asked my dad who he was, and he told me about everything he knew about FZ, his music and his life whilst playing those records...<br><br>From that moment on i became a ''Freak'' myself...<br><br>I even wrote a little, somewhat cheesy, poem about all this and some guy even put that on his Zappa-site, maybe someone knows the URL, so you can read it...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:53 am 

A few years before Frank died, I caught my dad playing his Overnight Sensation LP.  I remember not liking it, but I also remember him telling me about Zappa and how his dog, Peppy, had eaten his copy of Hot Rats.  He also told me of how he and his friend, Bobby Slovak (I can't believe I remember that name), used to wake up and listen to We're Only In It For The Money every morning.  <br><br>Fastforward a tiny bit, to when I borrow a CD copy of We're Only In it For The Money/Lumpy Gravy from the library.  I thought it sounded very awkward, which is proof that it wasn't only long-time Mothers freaks who thought the new mix sounded off.<br><br>Around this time, I started to get really into the Overnight Sensation LP, and I've been a fan since then.  <br><br>The only other detail I distinctly remember is that the 1995 master of WOIIFTM was the first Zappa album I bought for myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:04 am 

Heh. I knew it. Typical newbie brings up an already-covered topic ;)<br>Thanks for the welcome anyway.<br>Yeah I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. In the car with my Mum at a set of traffic lights, the light had just gone green. I'm still amazed at how clearly I remember the moment...<br>But since I'm sure THIS topic has also been covered I'll shush now.  :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:43 pm 

<br> my first was grand wazoo.  i was instantly blown away, and didnt stop listening to it for like a month straight!<br><br>   now im missing about 5 official releases. and about half the vinyl.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:46 pm 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1057401504;start=0#4 date=07/05/03 at 05:11:35]<br><br>A very warm welcum here and pleaz don't shush...when u r just here, it will take a hell of a time 2 read the complete forum... ;)[/quote]<br>Well put, ZF.<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:00 am 

I first heard Zappa on the Dr. Demento show back in 1980.  The good Dr. played the long version of Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.  I've never been the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:08 pm 

Ciao.<br><br>My first Zappa has been... HOT RATS, in 1995 or 1996 (I was 18/19 years old). My friend Filippo recorded to me a cassette... God save Filippo!  ;D ;D<br><br>ciao.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:13 am 

200 motels in 1978 when i was 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:20 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=rant;num=1057401504;start=0#1 date=07/05/03 at 03:47:51]First of all: WELCOME !!!<br><br>Third of all: My first FZ experience was actually on the day the news reached Holland that FZ had died...<br>The 4th of 5th december 1994 and i was 11 years old at the time.<br><br>Me and my dad we're watching the news on the telly and then they'd announced that sad,sad news...<br><br>My dad went like:''No, not yet..''<br>and didn't say anything after that anymore...after the news was over he just turned off the TV, walked to his stereo and pulled out and played FZ records for the rest of the night...<br><br>Until that moment i never knew who FZ was, and i asked my dad who he was, and he told me about everything he knew about FZ, his music and his life whilst playing those records...<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That is terrible.  My kids already know who FZ is, in fact my four year old plays a mean air guitar to Frank's solos.<br><br>Musical education is as important as teaching them to say please and thank you.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:19 am 

When I was 10, some guy named Larry Zappa spit on me.<br><br> :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:23 am 

But serousily.....<br><br>A guy in the band I was in played the Weasles album.  I was about 19.  I didn't much care for it.  <br><br>Several months later, a friend was playing Strictly Comercial in his walkman, and I loved it.  Got Weasles a year later, and loved it. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:59 am 

I was sick at the time.  Flu.  I was getting over it, but I was bored from staying home at the time.  I began snooping around my parents' old vinyls.  I came across an album called Uncle Meat with this weird ass album cover.  I was from Germany, but the guy had a weird name.  Zappa?  Was that Itallian?  I decided to put on King Kong since the whole song was in one side and played by a guy named Dom deWild.  I sat on the couch in awe. I was 14 at the time, back in 1998 or 99.  I listened to whole album many times.  I would make weird references to Industrial pollution in school, to fast n' bulbous jelly, and to Electric Aunt Jemima syrup killing a man while he was eating breakfast one morning.  <br><br>I can't remember much else.  I was a loser at the time, and I still am.  But now, I know what I am.  I associate high school with my discovery of Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention.  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:20 pm 

I just gave my g/f  tapes of "Apostrophe", "OSFA", "Hot Rats", and a tape that has Curtis Mayfield on one side and "WOII4$" on the other that I made a while ago.  She says it's not really what she listens to all the time, but she thinks they're cool. I love spreading the disease...  ;D