Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Best album ever
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:44 am 

<br>  HEY!<br><br>  i think that one he put out in the early 70s is the best...    <br> what a great album,   it even had that one song on it !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:53 am 

Image  Image  Image  Image<br><br>I'm Sorry was I only supposed to list one<br><br>JAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:14 am 

Image<br>Gentle giant: acquiring the taste<br>The best album ever. Don't bother sending any new replys to this thread. My answer is the cosmic truth. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:39 am 

[quote author=Suomalainen link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=30#30 date=07/09/03 at 13:14:59]Image<br>Gentle giant: acquiring the taste<br>The best album ever. Don't bother sending any new replys to this thread. My answer is the cosmic truth. 8)[/quote]<br><br>Image Who could argue with a face like that :)<br><br>JAY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:02 am 

The new Jeff Beck album available on july 22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:33 pm 

Image<br><br>Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway<br>hands down the best album ever. bliss, pure bliss!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:41 pm 

[quote author=dominus_vobiscum link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=30#34 date=07/09/03 at 15:33:48]Image<br><br>Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway<br>hands down the best album ever. bliss, pure bliss![/quote]<br><br>Cuckoo Cocoon<br>Counting out time<br>The Grand Parade of Lifeless packaging<br>Carpet crawlers<br>These songs alone make this album priceless!!!!<br><br>Image<br><br>This is also one of their all time greats. ;D<br><br>JAY<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:52 pm 

You guys have made my day!<br><br>Genesis and Gentle Giant both on the same page.<br>And my 2 favorite Genesis albums, even!<br><br>Here's my next logical candidate:<br><br>Image<br><br> ;D

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:49 pm 

[quote author=eyebnez link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=30#35 date=07/09/03 at 15:41:29]<br><br>Cuckoo Cocoon<br>Counting out time<br>The Grand Parade of Lifeless packaging<br>Carpet crawlers<br>These songs alone make this album priceless!!!!<br><br>Image<br><br>This is also one of their all time greats. ;D<br><br>JAY<br>[/quote]<br><br>Right On!!<br>Trick of the Tail comes in at a close second for me  ;D. Entangled in one of the most beautiful songs ever written.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:27 am 

The best album ever still has to come, and ... if it is finally there (I hope it never will), we have to watch out for another best album ever, otherwise we won't have any development ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:29 am 

[quote author=Dirty_Love link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=30#40 date=07/11/03 at 05:06:40]<br><br>He he he yes, but the question is wich album you think is the best ever, and you can chose more then one if you whont to.<br><br>But its realy nothing to argue about becaus D.S.O.T.M. is the best album of all time. <br>And thats my final word in this topic. ;)<br><br>Image<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>.....mmmmh you're probably right Mr.Dirty Love...<br><br>ciao<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:52 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=15#18 date=06/21/03 at 09:59:15]<br><br>Now, that's pretty cool. Van der Graaf and Henry Cow. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Great to see VDGG and Henry Cow fans !<br><br><br>And now, the best album ever:<br><br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:17 am 

When my paranoia was at maximum, about 24 hours before the Millenium Bug could have screwed everything up, I had penciled in Dark Side as the album I would waste my last 45 minutes of electricity on...<br><br>At that point in time it was the best album ever, but not anymore.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:12 pm 

Very hard to argue with Dark Side. Listened to it twice today on a 300 mile drive. When it came out it was a major leap forward for Pink Floyd. It's also amazing how it has held up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:20 pm 

Am I the only person that thinks In The Court Of The Crimson King is better than Dark Side Of The Moon?  ???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:24 pm 

Eveeryone talks about "Dark Side" and "The Wall", but nobody ever talks about "Wish You Were Here". I'd rather listen to that than the other 2, which is high praise considering that the other 2 are amazing.<br><br>P.S. Anyone ever watch "The Wizard of Oz" with the sound turned off and "Dark Side" playing? It's really amazing, if you line it up right. The lyrics really match what's going on on the screen. My favorite part is whenn Dorothy opens the door to Munchkinland, and the first cash register chime from "Money" plays at the same time. It still gives me chills just thinking about it. (No, wait. That's the fan I have running.  :P)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:51 pm 

[quote author=suterb link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=45#46 date=07/13/03 at 17:24:19]....P.S. Anyone ever watch "The Wizard of Oz" with the sound turned off and "Dark Side" playing? It's really amazing, if you line it up right.... [/quote]<br><br>i forgot about that, thanks suterb, now i'll have to check it out.....[font=times new roman]
  • begin the CD at the end of the third, final roar of the MGM lion
  • opening credits roll to the heartbeats and ticking of Speak to Me
  • black-and-white farm scenes begin with the song Breathe
  • Dorothy is talking with the farm hands, then begins to walk the fence rail. The lyric "And balanced on the biggest wave You race towards an early grave" plays as Dorothy loses her balance and falls from the fence
  • "On the Run" sounds the alarm when Miss Gulch, (Wicked Witch of the West) appears, tempo follows the bickering between Gulch, Dorothy, & Auntie Em
  • Dorothy makes her decision to run away with Toto during the song "Time."Toto escapes Miss Gulch and jumps through Dorothy's window to join her to the lyric "Waiting for someone or something to show you the way."
  • The two set off together and meet up with Professor Marvel, who looks into his crystal ball and tells Dorothy that she is needed at home. The "Breathe Reprise" plays:<br>"Home, home again <br>I like to be here when I can....<br>To hear the softly spoken magic spells."
  • The Great Gig in the Sky, plays as the tornado builds. The vocals by Clare Torry peak as the tornado sweeps Dorothy and her home up into its vortex
  • cash register ka-chings on Money as Dorothy opens the door and the film changes into vivid color. Dorothy steps into the rich, Technicolor world and Glinda glides down in her bubble to the lyric "And I think I need a Lear jet."
  • Us and Them plays during Dorothy's encounter with the munchkins & the Wicked Witch of the West. The lyric "Black and blue/And who knows which and which and who is who" plays as Glinda explains that Dorothy has dropped the house on the witch's sister. The line "Up and down" plays as the camera aims downward at the ruby slippers. "Down and Out" plays as Glinda fades out in her bubble and Dorothy begin down the yellow brick road
  • Any Color You Like plays as Dorothy continues her journey along the vividly colored brick road
  • Brain Damage starts and Dorothy meets up with the Scarecrow, who begins flopping and flailing about on the ground to the lyrics "The lunatic is on the grass." Dorothy and the Scarecrow begin their journey down the brick road to the lyric "Got to keep the loonies on the path." The song ends with "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon" and then leads into Eclipse
  • The CD ends with the beating of a heart as Dorothy listens to the Tin Man's chest
[/font]<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:48 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=45#48 date=07/13/03 at 17:53:07][tt]<br><br><br> <br><br>Gilmour recently stated that the whole Wizard Of Oz/Dark Side correlation is BS. And I happen to believe him. It's obviously just a publicity stunt contrived by some jerk-off record executive at Capitol...Publius Enigma anyone?[/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br>Then Gilmour is blind, because I've seen this thing, and it works perfectly.  Obviously it's just coincidence, but it's not "bs".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:53 pm 

Hhhmmm no fooling!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:30 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=45#51 date=07/13/03 at 22:10:16][tt]<br><br>I don't see any correlation whatsoever with the above parts of the movie and the album.<br><br><br>    <br><br>To me, this is the only correlation and similarity between the movie and the album.<br><br>r_a_Z_Z,<br><br>How can you think otherwise? There just isn't any similarity whatsoever...<br><br>Btw, there's a lot of Crimson fans on this forum, so you're probably not the only one who thinks Dark Side is better than In The Court Of......[/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br>a) It's not that the concept/plot are similar, it's that the album perfectly compliments the movie if you watch them together.  For instance, as someone already mentioned, as soon as Dorothy opens the gate to the Wizard's castle or whatever, "Money" starts.  Another example is the heartbeat while Dorothy is examining the Tin Man's chest.<br><br>b) You got those mixed around. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next