Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Best album ever
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:30 pm 

this has become the most annoying thread ever<br><br>ninnyfest 2003<br><br>(thanks to VapoSlob for the much needed levity)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:47 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=75#83 date=07/14/03 at 23:37:04][tt]....I guess, Rush coasted along on the strength of ....[/tt][/quote]<br>....fly by night<br><br><br><br><br><br>...queens-who?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:49 pm 

Image<br><br>One of the best of British psychadelic....<br><br> 8)<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:31 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=75#85 date=07/15/03 at 00:37:56][tt]... if you're saying that every record following Fly By Night sounds the same, then you obviously haven't heard any of their records since this period....[/tt][/quote]<br>ok, ok, i admit i really like cd remix of la villa strangiato with anne murray on vocals, that instrumental version sucked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:29 pm 

[quote author=Disco Boy link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=75#88 date=07/15/03 at 01:42:34][tt]<br><br>You should hear Don Ho's version! [/tt]<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>OK, you guys are scaring me now<br>...especially that AV, Disco!<br>What the hell is it??<br> :o

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:50 am 

Next one is defintely one of the most interesting releases of the last couple of years. Progressive as hell -since we're talking progessive here.<br><br>best albums lists as these are hard to tackle, but this one is in my all-time top 20 (*in no particular order*) for sure - but that might just be because I just got it a couple of days ago... maybe the overwhealming halo will wear off after a few weeks - so be it, the feeling of being plunged into such a halo is all worth the trip, and this plug-post...<br><br>[center]Image<br>The Mars Volta : De-Loused in the Comatorium[/center]<br>review quotes:<br>
Quote:
Mars Volta's "De-Loused in the Comatorium" is a vast, strong expression of music that is so far ahead of the curve in modern music...<br>--<br>This is an exceptional album of art-punk. That's right, this album will not, I repeat, NOT be found on your radio dial. It is not an easily accessible sound. It is a newly evolved sound that is completely unique and profound, full of jagged rhythms and dischordant melodies. I don't know, it's all too complicated and wonderful for me to describe.<br><br>This will be the blueprint of modern punk rock, mark my words. This is the new manifesto.<br>--<br>(...) This is some sort of experimental free jazz-psych-prog-salsa-rock. ... There are sprawling landscapes of beautiful instrumental wobbling and then furious bursts of amazingly precise rock, both of which will test the listener's musical horizons. This album is just an amazing piece of art and will hopefully bring people into new musical territory.<br>--<br>There aren't many albums that totally blow me away from the first listen, but this is one of them. Not since Tool's 2001 effort Lateralus have I heard an album with such sheer energy and intricate arrangements. Some tracks go on for several minutes of pure instrumentation yet the disc contains songs ranging from less than two minutes in length up to twelve. Like Lateralus, the songs play out like epics, changing around various keys and melodies throughout the lengthy piece. They also create a variety of multi layered soundscapes and textures, which may not be MTV2 ready.<br>--<br>I know that these are sweepingly dramatic statements, but I wholeheartedly believe in them. This is the kind of music that might take one, two, or every ten listenings to even begin to absorb, but once you start to you'll begin to see just how deep it goes, and just how much you can get out of this record. If you don't understand it, or aren't ready for it, the Mars Volta understand. Many people won't be, and that's why this album won't top the charts. But it will make you realize that the music you've been listening to has boundaries, and it takes a band this good to break them. At least it did for me. And now the choice is up to you.
<br><br>http://www.themarsvolta.com/index_main.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:31 pm 

The Wall and Final Cut sound alike, but that goes with out saying.  With regards to More and Saucer, I think they are great.  One of my least favorite tracks is See-Saw.  For some reason, I find that song to be a real bummer.  More is awesome!  Ibiz Abar and The Crying Song, are heavy favs.  <br><br>Queensreich shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.<br><br>Me personaly, I started listening to Floyd once I heard Relics.  Many others wern't alive when Dark Side came out.  These people make up a fair amount of their fan base.  They had no way to say "Well, Dark Side ruled.  I had better buy their next album, cuz it's gonna be great like Dark Side".  The bands that we're speaking of have not coasted on their mega hits. (The Wall excluded).  Especialy Rush.  Bands that have 15 + albums don't coast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:00 am 

[center]DISCO!  REMOVE THE HUGE PICTURE!  IT TOOK ME 5 MIN. TO REPLY TO THIS TOPIC!  NOW I CAN'T BRING UP ANOTHER BROWSER WINDOW TO POST A TINY ALBUM COVER.<br><br> :'([/center]<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:51 am 

I just gotta get in on this Queensryche are pussies scandal that's going on here. <br>I happen to like both Whitesnake and Queensryche, but do yourself a favour Mr Confusion, go out and buy yourself a copy of Queensryche's 'Operation Mindcrime', or better still, 'Operation LiveCrime'. It'll blow you away. It's a concept album so you'll have to concentrate on the words because they tell a story. Now I know that might be difficult cos Geoff Tate's 'operatic wailing' makes you want to vomit but stick with it, it's worth it. Perhaps you should listen to it on an empty stomach, but anyway it's a truly great album that deserves not to be ridiculed but to be respected as one of the best concept albums of the last twenty years.<br>And when you've done that, go and get 'Rage For Order', another 'Ryche classic! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:17 am 

[quote author=Mr. Confusion link=board=rant;num=1056024787;start=90#102 date=07/16/03 at 08:49:13]...gimme gimme gimme, MORE songs like Titties & Beer, Catholic Girls, <br>Dinah-Moe Humm, I've Been In You, Dancin' Fool, Dirty Love, Jewish Princess....[/quote]<br><br>....crew slut, road ladies, willie the p, mud shark, disco boy, bwana dik, <br>ms pinky, easy meat, j.d.party hats etc.etc.etc. ; yea, mee too<br><br>...so i dl'd some queens-who last night: delete delete delete delete....lame[sup]2[/sup]<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:44 am 

I saw Queensryche in the eighties on thier Rage for order tour. To be honest I was very impressed. They where a great band up until around Empire. That album and anything afterwards pretty much sucks. IMO they did dive too heavily into this seriousness they felt was PROG., They, IMO, are not a Prog. Band and when they decided to go on that path it lessened them. They put out Operation Mindcrime and follow up live album to go along which both kick ass. Then they thought they had something intelligent to say on every album afterward. It's like they were Trying to write a small story with every album. They used to rock out but they just kinda Burned out.