Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:47 pm 

Name some artists that you now like that you used to hate. For me, its Neil Young. I used to really dislike his music. Somehow I totally changed my mind. I'll think of some others. And you?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:52 pm 

Grateful Dead,...I never got "into" them....Now, I love 'em. Guess taste changes with age.........I still HATE eggs tho'.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:04 pm 

atta boy zaigot, way to come around.  the dead, like fz start to grow on you and soon take over your life (at least in my experience).  as for who i used to hate and now love....can't think of anyone right now except appreciating the funkiness of early 80's michael jackson, before he mutated physically and musically.  i don't own any of his albums though.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:16 pm 

• the police[tt] ....well, i don't hate them anymore[/tt]
  • bob marley

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:22 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=rant;num=1052956077;start=0#4 date=05/14/03 at 23:16:51]bob marley[/quote]<br><br>Me too!!! I used to consider reggae too simple... than I listened carefully Babylon by Bus and I started loving him.<br>

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:12 am 

Bob Dylan, hated this guy, then listened to his first albums, great !!!<br><br>Same to Neil Young!<br><br>Tim Buckley<br><br>Nick Drake etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:06 am 

[quote author=MIZZU link=board=rant;num=1052956077;start=0#5 date=05/15/03 at 07:22:22]<br><br>Me too!!! I used to consider reggae too simple... than I listened carefully Babylon by Bus and I started loving him.<br>[/quote]<br><br>same here

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:43 am 

Love hate love: Aerosmith.  I had most of their albums.  I saw them in concert in 1978 and they SUCKED.  I soon sold all of my Aerosmith albums.<br><br>Now I like them again; that boy can sing.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:56 am 

Used to hate The Jam when they were out - I was into AC/DC , Kiss , Motorhead etc then . Now think they were a superb 3-piece . Paul Weller was / is superb (apart from some of his Style Council stuff!)<br> 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:47 am 

baby steps mental, baby steps.  steely dan is great, check em out on tour this summer. www.steelydan.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:33 pm 

point well taken.  have you heard "alive in america?"  there is some tasty and ferocious playing on that.  drew zingg is a maniac on guitar, and pocket-meister tom barney on bass, and who doesn't love erskine and chambers on drums?  I will say in support of your camp that the studio microscope is ridiculous.  if i'm looking at a cd rack and there is a studio album, or a live album i don't even think about it, i obviously go for the live one.  being a drummer i enjoy the seat of the pants get it right the first and only time of live settings, instead of incubator studios.  there is so much more feeling and room to expand on the music.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:14 am 

This is really weird, but I'm starting to warm up to AC/DC!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:01 am 

Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Steely Dan...<br><br>"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."<br>                         - Bob Dylan

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:23 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=rant;num=1052956077;start=0#12 date=05/15/03 at 16:26:36]<br><br>Lastly, I saw them on tv about a year ago and didn't much like em.  The reason wasn't their coldness though.  I was bored and they seemed to be as well.[/quote]<br><br>I saw them on tour in the summer of '96 and liked it a lot...I literally couldn't get anyone else to go with me, so I went myself...anyway, I really enjoyed it...I remember the high point being a couple things they did off of The Royal Scam...I was thinking about going this summer, but I've already got tix to see Peter Gabriel which are $75, and Steely is charging $85...don't know if I can afford it...<br><br>To me, one of the cool things about SD is that you can hear a song like "Hey 19" being played on the "Lite" music station at the grocery store, and yet what they're actually singing about is a middle aged guy drinking tequila and smoking reefer with a 19 year old girl...and the listeners don't seem to notice... <br><br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:38 am 

barney has been w/ steely all thru the 90's and maybe earlier.  don't know his details, but when i get a minute i'll look around for ye, i think he gets around.  drew zingg as well, did "new york rock and soul revue" hosted by fagen in 91.  sick player, some of the tastiest lines i've ever heard.  i'll check into him too.  i would like to see if he has any solo stuff.  one of the reasons (my friends and i) feel sd got rid of chambers and zingg is because they let er rip too much.  on "alive"  there is some serious shredding esp on boddhistava.  in 2000 sd said they were going for more of a studio sound, hence the "strict" sounding difference btwn 1994 and 2000.

Post subject: Total Devo
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:40 pm 

i used to work at Tower Records with a guy who was totally queer for Devo<br>it was 1988 and Devo had just released a comeback album called "Total Devo"<br>he was happy as shit because Devo was his life<br><br>there was a cash register which doubled as a DJ area<br>for weeks every time i got to be cashier/DJ i spun "Total Devo" just to torture this asshole<br>to my amazement i grew to like it and actually began looking forward to playing it<br><br>this unintentional turn of events made the spite even more delicious<br>it made him crazy like i was raping his soul<br>Devo are pretty cool