Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What can *I* do ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:45 pm 

The government is being turned into an NWO and Illuminati-backed authoritarian police-state, headed by a corrupt oil-king of a vice-president and an idiotic figurehead who can't deliver a speech right, IN ADDITION to possessing the inability to resist the temptation to pick his nose, IN PUBLIC, during a baseball game.<br><br>The arch-conservatives and religious right are censoring and placing warning labels on art, claiming it is "obscene filth", and thus making them come to a conclusion that they must ruin it for everyone else simply because they find it offensive and unsuitable, even for those who would not find it offensive, and find it acceptable.<br><br>According to the RIAA, downloading even just one MP3 by an artist or band causes them to lose money, regardless of whether or not you decide to buy the CD or not depending on whether you liked the song or not.<br><br>I'm 15 years old, and entering my second year of high school this fall. So I can't vote. I also cannot get my parents to provide me with transportation to places where I can join a protest group (there aren't any within my town, either). My school, and pretty much the entirety of upstate NY, is conservative-biased*, I cannot be taken seriously or even make an attempt at changing their minds because I am "a fucking queer", "fucked up," and I "fuck my mom." I am a member of the middle-class, and have absolutely no qualifications whatsoever to be referred to as an authority of any type. This means I cannot be taken seriously by the real world. I also have no credit cards, bank accounts, or even my own money, so I cannot financially support anything that I would like to.<br><br>What can I do to help stop the corruption, right now ? How can I pitch in without having to pay a cent or having to travel across the country to participate in some sort of protest group?<br><br>It's extremely frustrating not being able to fight for what I believe in because I'm young and have no resources or authority. I don't want to wait until I'm older.<br><br>Suggestions would be very much appreciated.<br><br>(*On the other hand, there ARE some other students at my school who are pro-file sharing, and ONE who is not conservate-biased)

Post subject: Re: What can *I* do ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:53 pm 

Welcome to the real world. :o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:39 am 

It's hard to boycott the government, but it's easier to boycott the ones who make them rich.  <br><br>http://www.adbusters.org/<br><br>Don't be too keen on getting a credit card.  That's just what they want you to do.  <br><br>Once you are legal age, keep your ear open on local votes, that affect your comunity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:08 am 

[img width=216 height=289]http://www.loompanics.com/online-store/scstore/graphics/61181.jpg[/img] Image[sup]Image[/sup]<br>Image [img width=202 height=313]http://www.loompanics.com/online-store/scstore/graphics/52048.gif[/img][sup]Image[/sup]<br>[img width=190 height=292]http://www.loompanics.com/online-store/scstore/graphics/19044.gif[/img] Image[sup]Image[/sup]<br><br>[img width=212 height=327]http://www.loompanics.com/online-store/scstore/graphics/99204.jpg[/img]Image[sup]Image[/sup]<br><br>hey, homsar, you're young, plenny of time to do something...<br>best advice i can give is to keep a low profile, stay in school & sponge up as much as you can<br>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:11 pm 

Those are some good links Slime, but apparently I'll have to buy them, according to the site. My parents obviously can't get them for me- would swiping them be a good course of action ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:05 pm 

[quote author=Homsar link=board=rant;num=1060479924;start=0#5 date=08/10/03 at 20:11:41]...would swiping them be a good course of action ?[/quote]<br>no way, man; not worth it, fugedabowdit...<br><br>you need to bide your time, try & strike a balance between ya got yer whole life ahead of you & life's too short; nothing is black&white, everything's some shade of gray...<br><br>ignore the local assholes, you're way ahead of them anyway...<br><br>the government, well ok, by the time you can really get involved, it'll probably be the same in new york state as it ever was...there is life beyond upstate ny, & even beyond america...you might try the west coast, specifically san fran, which is as close to utopia for the democratic party as yer ever gonna see (maybe madison wisconsin or d.c. comes close)....<br><br>ignore those fucking warning labels or just lol, unless they're along the lines of the fz warning/guarantee; let that shit roll right off ya...<br><br>& get rid of that fuckin tv...<br><br> <br>as far as how to get those books [sub]Image[/sub] :[quote author=fz link=board=rant;num=1060479924;start=0#6 date=whenever]save your money don't go to the show...<br>watch out where the huskies go, <br>and don't you eat that yellow snow<br><br><br><br>also:<br><br>see the world<br>don't make a fuss just git on the bus[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:36 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=rant;num=1060479924;start=0#7 date=08/10/03 at 21:05:06]<br>ignore the local assholes, you're way ahead of them anyway...<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is something I've tried to do during the 5 years since I transferred to the school, but they mostly continue to pester me, whether I provoke them or not. They really know what they're doing, and can really get to me. In fact, one of them really got to me just this April, and... let me just say for now that we both ended up with in-school suspension for the rest of that week. I'll tell you about that later on today, because I don't feel like posting it right now, and I should be going to bed pretty soon.<br><br>Anyway, I'm still clueless on what to do so they'll pretty much just leave me alone. Snitching (which I am pretty much instructed to do by my parents and the school administration) has never proved to be anything more than a temporary solution, and sometimes just generally makes things even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:53 am 

Learn Karate and kick them in the balls.   :P  kidding  :P<br><br>High school was weird for me.  Everybody got along, of course there were the occasional moronic brute.<br><br>Slime, what is it that you've got to hide?   :P  You won't even tell us where you're from or your first name.  I found Chassy Baer, and I'll find you!   ;)<br><br>Homsar, don't steal.  Nothing I hate more, than a theif.  Keeping a low profile and your name off of the police's lips will ensure that your life stays that much more hassle free.  Stay away from violence, i.e. guns and those military rejects that sit home all day sharpening their hunting knives, and oiling their guns.

Post subject: re: What can *I* do ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:22 am 

[quote author=Butch link=board=rant;num=1060479924;start=0#9 date=08/11/03 at 05:53:12]...Slime, what is it that you've got to hide?   :P  You won't even tell us where you're from or your first name.  I found Chassy Baer, and I'll find you!   ;)...[/quote]<br>  <br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]origins of sl.<br><br>first name; loe<br>last name; prophile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:23 pm 

Alright, now that I remembered to tell you...<br><br>For the record, it was back in April. I was in CAD class like I was every 8th period on a school day. The class went fine, but I was staying afterwards about a minute or two to finish up some on some details of the project I was working on before leaving. It was then that one of these guys in my class showed up- he was a 10th grader at the time. He was also the one who caused me the most trouble in the class, and he'd usually break up erasers into chunks he stole from the studio art teacher, whose class I also took (although not with this asshole), and threw them at me. I usually just shrugged it off and snickered a bit every time he threw them at me, especially those times when he missed me. Then I would say things like "nice aim."<br><br>This time, he had walked back into the classroom after everyone left (probably because he saw me), with one of his buddies, who was another annoying SOB. I didn't see or hear him coming in. I was listening to a CD on the computer at the time (which our teacher let us do while we were working), when he tapped on my headphones, lifted them up, and shouted in my ear: "IT'S TIME TO GO !" At that moment, there was one thought on my mind: "Oh, shit. THIS isn't going to end pretty." I honestly tried to ignore him, but he suddenly got to the other side of me, grabbed the mouse, and started moving it and clicking it around, saying: "Here, lemme help you shut down!" He and his buddy chuckled at that. I tried to grab it out of his hand, but he kept reaching for it. I was trying to put my stuff away simultaneously. They let me do this without interrupting me, at least. Eventually, I stood up and faced him. I'm taller than him. This didn't intimidate him. I tried to push him away, but he kept coming back. At this point I was no longer capable of rational thought. I punched him in the chest as hard as I could. He didn't even flinch or bat an eye. He got back at me and punched me in the face. Neither of us were bleeding. He asked me, "Did that hurt ?" It did, but the pain subsided. Defeated, I said "yes," and left (fortunately with all the stuff I brought with me intact, which consisted of my CD jacket and headphones). Our teacher was out of the room at the time, but I don't blame him, because he had to go to the bathroom. So I found him and told him. He'd never leave the room again until they were. Later I went to the office and told the principal.<br><br>I thought everything was settled at that point, until the last period. I was called down to the office. The asshole's friend was in the classroom, he mocked me on the way out. I went to the office, but the principal wasn't there. I found my mother (who is a teacher at my school), who was already informed. Not too long after that, the principal found us in the hall and called us in.<br><br>I had left out the fact that I punched him. That and the fact that this guy's asshole buddy was a witness was my ticket to hell. During the talk with the principal, I was put down by him because I wasn't able to control my anger, which I've never had an easy time controlling in the first place. It was a Tuesday. We both got three days in-school suspension. That was the rest of the week. Fortunately, my parents knew I was in a tight situation and there wasn't exactly a better way out. My father didn't have much to say on the matter. He never brought it up.<br><br>Turns out in-school wasn't so bad. For the entire day (except when I left with the aide who supervised us took everyone with in-school to the cafeteria for lunch) I sat in the auditorium (which is usually the study hall) in much-appreciated solitude. I couldn't get pushed around at all, except subtly by this one pompous, overachieving 8th grader who was an advanced student, so. He wasn't smart enough to realize I was given in-school suspension when he walked by my seat. He asked me each day, "Are you coming to math class today ?"<br><br>I have to say that all the advanced 8th graders in the school are arrogant overachievers. They were all in my Earth science lab class (we didn't have much time for lab work during regular science), and I was subject to these know-it-all brats' mockery and beratement.<br><br>At the end of Friday, my parents gave me my privileges back.<br><br>Weeks later, the ass STILL hadn't learned his lesson. The eraser chunks kept flying. This all stopped, however, when I got crafty and came up with a plan that didn't involve physical contact:<br><br>During one class, I got up from my chair, and walked over to his computer.<br><br>I placed a dollar in front of him, while he was watching, and then walked back to my computer.<br><br>I never saw the eraser chunks again. But that was probably because I finally reported his thievery and destruction of those erasers to the studio art teacher. In fact, I never saw the clown in the class again after that.<br><br>He better not be taking the new Independent CAD class (where we get to draw a big blueprint map of the school) this fall, because I can't take another year of shit from him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:49 pm 

I find it hard to control my frustration as well, at times.  I like to think of something silly when I get angry, and then act upon the sillyness.  But that's me.  <br><br>Discribe this kid, is he from a broken home?  The question is, would he do anything drastic if you realy fucked him over? <br><br>I have always found that if you ignore the pestering, that usualy doesn't give them satisfaction.  If it doesn't bug you, then he has no reason to provoke you, because that's why he does these things.  You give him the satisfaction of letting him know that it bothers you.  He obviously wants a reaction from you.  If you don't give him the reaction he's looking for, then he might look elsewhere.  <br><br>If you're in class and the room, and someone is trying to annoy you, it's funny to give them a confused mongaliod look, and let out a loud groan.  Make sure the teacher sees you looking at him.  If the teacher asks what your doing staring at the kid, say something like "He touched my bum" in a mongaliod vioce.  Everyone will crack up, and he will turn red.  If you get sent to the office, just be honest and explain your actions.  <br><br>So mom's a teacher eh?  That's tough.<br><br>Some sneaky pranks we used to pull on eachother.  Every day at lunch, have him paged to the main office.  When no ones there, he'll be annoyed.  <br><br>For revenge the guy we did this to, made posters of us, saying "Hey you! These boys are lovers, so if ya see them, congradulate them, cuz they sure are gay." Complete with pictures of us from the yearbook and our home phone numbers.  <br><br>Don't use your fists, use your mind.