Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: re: Zappa's broken leg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:04 am 

during 2 rainbow shows in london, first set on dec 10 '71 during the encore, a guy named trevor howell climbed onstage and knocked frank fifteen feet down into the orchestra pit...frank broke a leg and fractured a rib...the roadies (who were certainly earning their wages this month) seized howell and dragged him backstage to await arrest......howell alternately told the press that frank had been ogling his girlfriend (even though the stage lights were, as usual, right in the band's faces) and that the show hadn't been worth the ticket price: he went to jail for a year...<br><br>frank's leg never healed properly, making it shorter than the other ("my right foot's bigger than my other one is"; "One of my legs is shorter than the other") and giving him chronic back pain, his voice permanently dropped a third in pitch due to his forcefully bent neck having crushed his larynx...he was committed to a wheelchair for most of 1972, so he stayed home and made the albums Just Another Band From L.A., Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo & also produced For Real, released the following year, for a band actually called Ruben & the Jets, wrote the piece "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" and authored the science-fiction musical hunchentoot, which spawned later songs like "Flambay," "Spider of Destiny," "Time Is Money," "Planet of My Dreams" and "Cheepnis."<br><br>once he was able to go back on the road he began to appear with various incarnations of the Grand Wazoo band....i've only seen 1 photo of him in a wheelchair with the cast on his leg....<br><br><br><br>b.t.w...death-o, welcome to zappaland

Post subject: Re: Zappa's broken leg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:38 am 

;D ;D<br><br>When I started reading I thought slime had lost his mind  ;D<br>You were talking about Deep Purple earlier, so probably my mind was set on that topic and as soon as I've read Rainbow I thought of the group too :)<br><br>Obvously that was a Zappa concert, the Rainbow was the venue... the Rainbow Theater in London <br><br>