Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:31 pm 

i know this has been talked about before, but im bored. anyone have any funny stories about it? - like last weekend i had my friend and his girlfriend over and i slipped in call any vegtable from "just another band from l.a.) you know the part where they sing vegtable beef....."" ""..  they look at me like im a mutant! "does all he do is sing about food?  ??? i dont understand how close minded MOST poeple are. why should everything sound like u2? now that makes me wanna puke!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:22 am 

Yeah, you're right...<br>Talking ONLY about FZ's lyrics (his music has been discussed in many other topics...), i think he was one of the best lyricists on this planet.<br>He wrote lyrics about things that (especially) in those days nobody else wrote about, and even nowadays it's hard to come up with some bands or artists that come close to the writing of lyrics the way Frank did.<br><br>I mean...he wrote about Enema bandits, poodles, smelly feet, fur trappers, brain policemen, boogers, garbage trucks, pimps, groupies, mountain's, cheap movies, mud sharks, dental floss, titties, beer, the devil, yellow snow, muffin's, imaginary vocals, imaginary guitar parts, rock and roll writers, disco folks, gas stations, wild swines, jewish princesses, catholic girls, suicide chumps, televengalists, coneheads, teen age prostitutes, dangerous kitchen's, Steve Vai's spanking fetish, gay people, mammy nuns, the PMRC hearings, lonesome cowboys, little rubber girls, tiny sick tears....<br><br>Want me to continue ????<br><br>Way to go Frank !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:28 am 

yes, its astonishing. Things for me here in germany are a bit easier. We have the slight language barreier, so we can focus on the music more likely. If I play FZ to others, they dont get the "lyrical message" right away. If you play Enema Bendit they will hear just a good blues. <br>Two days ago I made a present to a guy and gave him the Strictly Commercial CD from Ryko. He was happy to have some FZ again, which he had not since having a CD player. The CD was played later in the evening, and no one was upset. I had to smile a bit, cause I felt like "if they knew what those songs are about! ;)" <br>Hehehe. lets make the water turn black....!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:59 pm 

Very true, there's a lot to be said for shock value, but, after the shock wears off your just left with the music. <br><br>And if the music is weak,people lose interest . <br>Franks music is strong. Real strong!<br><br>It was probably the shock that caught my attention, but the music has held my interest for the last (almost) 30 years, and counting. :)<br><br>On the other hand, I'm sure some folks are turned off by the shock.<br>They are the ones who are missing all the fun. :P

Post subject: Re: On the contrary.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:25 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1039671077;start=0#5 date=12/12/02 at 22:07:12]Hey, maybe he'd be president![/quote]<br><br>I used to have a 'Frank Zappa for President' T-shirt. <br>My girlfriend had it made for me.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:10 pm 

Yeah, I married that girl. <br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:24 pm 

I always thought it was funny when the same folks who were turned off by one side of FZ (ex. something like Dancin' Fool or Jewish Princess) could be astounded and amazed by one of the more "composed" pieces (King Kong) or the guitar solo vehicles (City of Tiny Lites). And on the other hand, there were always the immature lot that only wanted to snicker at Titties and Beer but couldn't really get around something like Purple Lagoon.  ::) I know it took me a long time to fully appreciate the full and overwhelming qualities of Frank's oevre. I think with continued exposure sooner or later anyone will find that one piece of FZ music that will start the turning on process! BTW, this is my first post....what a great forum!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:54 am 

some people haven't got a clue have they ? You might go back to your pad with your mates after closing time for a late bevvy (or whatevever  ;) and you might get the odd one saying "Put that Bobby Brown one on". You'll leave the CD running and as soon as it's finished it's "Put some Floyd/Beatles etc... on now".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:49 pm 

[quote author=Easter_Hay link=board=rant;num=1039671077;start=0#3 date=12/12/02 at 13:43:29]i think most people listen to Frank for the shock value anyway. [/quote]<br><br>Great googley moogley, I certainly hope not! I mean what percentage of Frank's total output has shock value, maybe 5%? If you want to be shocked, complete a circuit!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:53 pm 

[quote author=white_person link=board=rant;num=1039671077;start=0#10 date=12/12/02 at 23:39:57]Anyone who lingers within my immediate proximity for at least half a day is infected with sonic Zappa spores. Rarely have these spores flourished beyond the "gee, he's really fucked up" phase. Whatever. Fill in the blank....and then, Sharky says - [glow=yellow,2,300][move]honk honk![/glow][/move][/quote]<br><br>Is "Sharky says..." by any chance a reference to the Laurie Anderson song Sharkey's Day? I know you're quoting Frank, but was that his reference?<br>

>You don't.

Post subject: Re: On the contrary.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:26 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1039671077;start=0#7 date=12/12/02 at 22:30:40]<br>Ah, true love.[/quote]<br><br>Oh, you meant the shirt ?  :-[

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:20 pm 

i knew a hispanic dude, lived his whole life in oakland, was into bands like mongo santamaria, joe cuba, joe baton, tito puente, & he's huge on santana; liked to quaff shots of tequilla, get loud while listening to these bands, eventally he'd dance around like hector macho camacho (he was big into boxing also, weighed over 300 lbs, short, big gut, solid)...well, i laid down some of those aforementioined tracks on my cd player, then slipped on variations o.t.c.s.secret chord progressions, he went nuts, raving about his homie carlos, 'man that cholo can play guitar' etc.etc..., eventually he stops to listen closely & says 'what the fuck, i've never heard santana play like that' ....well i almost didn't have the heart to do it, but i whipped out the cd case, showed him the title, he looked at me & said 'you're shittin' me, man'....to prove the point, i had to finish up with that ole g-minor thing again, & he finally believed me....he never did come over to frank, but from then on he didn't slag me as much for listening to zappa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:22 pm 

Well, nowdays i let them lsiten to his debut album(with the mothers of invention), Freak out!.<br><br>It is really cool that they like it and all. But Frank's best ability was the way the combined humour with art .<br><br>Also, that he singed about nearly everything and have so good sounds. Oh boy! Frank music is sure strong and good!! ;D<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:26 am 

OK - I try to not waste their time or mine, so I switch over to tunes that are mutually acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:03 am 

[quote author=Batchain115 link=board=rant;num=1039671077;start=15#23 date=06/18/03 at 11:37:33]<br><br>... For example: "You know Abba, don't you? Like 'em, huh? We [those in whose house I was a guest] just bought the 'Mama Mia' CD series. You up for it?" Me: "Uhmmm...are you sure you want to hear all of it now? Mix in a few other things?" Them: "Well, we sorta had this planned, y'know?" "OK, I see...sorta" (Grimace on my face).<br><br>I felt like it was a 100 CD set -- and it did go on almost interminably.  ...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Bat,<br><br>Having your teeth drilled without anesthetic probably would have hurt less!<br><br>You should have been entitled to play ANYTHING you wanted for the undetermined future after the torture finally stopped!<br><br><br>