Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:23 am 

This memory kicked in the other night while driving home listening to Sofa #2. Thought I'd share it with you.<br><br>Many years ago a friend was having a party and requested I bring over several tapes I had made of "party tunes" - you know, referred to as "mix tapes" or compilations of various artists. One of the tunes on one of the tapes was Sofa #2. During the part of that tune which features harpsichord and tubular bells, this unknown female person says to me, "This is pretty interesting music. What is this composition?" I was more than slightly impressed that she not only liked it but referred to it as a "composition". I informed her that it was Sofa #2 by Frank Zappa. Her reply was, "Oh, I hate him. He only writes those dirty songs." She turned on her heel and quickly walked away.<br><br>I just started laughing loudly and stayed the hell away from her for the rest of the night. Some battles are just not worth trying to fight. Happily, I never saw this ignoramous ever again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:23 am 

When someone goes into the room when I'm listening to Zappa, I pause the music. And if that person is some minutes into the room, I stop the music and go to the another room with the computer in it. If someone is already using the computer, then I think 'maybe another day'.  ::)<br>I know you may think I'm stupid, but listening to Zappa may be shocking for normal people (even thought they don't understand the lyrics) and I'm kinda shy and don't wanna get comments like 'what the fuck is that? that's the strangest music I've heard in my whole life!' and 'who are you listening to' (I hate the second one because my family ask me that almost 10 times a day). <br>If I listen to Grand Wazoo or Hot Rats it's ok, but just listening to Roxy with other people can be really frustrating.<br><br>One day I left the Freak Out album over the table, and when father got back from work, he saw it and maybe thought: 'Zappa? That's the guy my son keeps talking about' and put it on the player. I went into the room by the time Who Are The Brain Police? was playing and my father was like  :o. Of course, I stop the music and told him: 'Hey, why don't you listen to some of his better albums?' and put Grand Wazoo on the record player. I just did it because Grand Wazoo is less shocking. And my father listens to good music (even prog-rock).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:47 am 

An old schoolfriend of mine managed to piss off my entire class in high school (except me, of course) by playing "Trout Mask Replica" over the stereo system while we were on a six-hour bus trip. <br><br>I've never seen people react to music so violently, they threatened to make him eat his Beefheart tape after two minutes of 'Frownland' and 'The Dust blows forward'.. :)