Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:39 am 

Just wondering what tracks you'd put on a compilation designed to showcase all sides of Frank Zappa's music, from early mothers of invention stuff to later metal stuff with classical music, humourous tracks and jazz all included, that was designed for a complete beginner who'd never heard Zappa's musicand no longer than 70 minutes. This is my own attempt:<br><br>1. You Could Be a Star Now    (Cheap Thrills)<br>2. Dog Breath/Uncle Meat       (Yellow Shark)<br>3. Electric Aunt Jemima           (Uncle Meat)<br>4. Camarillo Brillo                    (Over-nite Sensation)<br>5. Whatever Happened to all the fun...   (Sheik Yerbouti)<br>6. King Kong                           (Ahead of their Time)<br>7. Joe's Garage                      (Joes Garage Act 1)<br>8. Peaches en Regalia            (Hot Rats)<br>9. Trouble Everyday               (Freakout!)<br>10.Living in California             (Uncle Meat)<br>11.Inca Roads                        (One Size Fits All)<br>12.Naval Aviation in Art          (The Perfect Stranger)<br>13.Stuff up the Cracks           (Cruising WIth Ruben and the Jets)<br>14.Trying to Grow a Chin       (Sheik Yerbouti)<br>15.Take your Clothes off       (We're only in it for the Money)<br>16.Watermelon in Easter Hay   (Joes Garage Act 3)<br><br>Just wondering what everyone else thinks of my selection and what you would do yourselves. Its difficult to do because you can never be sure what side of Zappa people will latch onto so you need to showcase all of them

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:49 am 

I think those are pretty good picks. But I have come to the conclusion that it can't be done in just 70 minutes!<br><br>I know someone right now who wants me to make them a Zappa cd, they have only ever heard Apostrophe and are curious about the rest of his music.<br><br>But after about 100 edits of may playlist I decided I had to make at least 2 cds. cd 1 is <br>One Size Fits All  <br>Don't Eat The Yellow Snow (You Can't #1) <br>Love Of My Life (...#4) <br>My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama (...#5) <br>Wille The Pimp from Hot Rats<br><br>On disc number 2.... I'm really stuck.<br>so far I'm thinking of <br>Holiday In Berlin, Full-Blown<br>The Little House I Used To Live In<br>The Gumbo Variations<br>Zoot Allures <br>The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution (L├Ąther)<br>Waka/Jawaka<br><br>The Orange County Lumber Truck<br>Oh No  <br>The Orange County Lumber Truck  (Ahead Of Their Time)<br><br><br>Something like that. <br><br>A lot of my Zappa is still on vynil, so I have no way to upload it all.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:16 am 

It is pretty hopeless to try to boil it down to one disc. That being said I have found the following to be a good intro:<br><br>Peaches (hot rats)<br>Carmarillo Brillo (over-nite)<br>Village of the Sun>Enchidna's Arf (roxy)<br>Cosmik Debris (apostrophe)<br>Joe's Garage (joe's)<br>Fine Girl (tinseltown)<br>San Berdino (one size)<br>Don't eat the yellow snow>Nanook rubs it (apostrophe)<br>Alien Orfice (make a jazz noise)<br>Fembot in a wet t-shirt>On the bus (joe's)<br>Montana (over-nite)<br>Stairway (best band)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:49 am 

It is so hard its almost impossible. I find myself winching with every omission. Another problem with having only 70 minutes to play with is that you can't have any longer jams. It really hurt to miss out willie the pimp and the AOTT closing medley.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:11 am 

I just finished playlist 2<br><br>WPLJ.<br>Igor's Boggie 1<br>Underground Freakout Music<br>Igor's Boogie 2<br>Holiday In Berlin F-B<br>Theme From Burnt Weenie Sandwich<br>Little House<br>Once Upon A Time<br>Peaches<br>Little Rubber Girl<br>Valarie<br>Brown Moses<br>The Gumbo Variations<br><br>13 songs, 1.1 hours, 66.9 MB<br><br><br>-<br><br>I've worked on my iTunes library for a week now. 448 songs, 1 day, 1.36 GB