Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:30 am 

Got OZ last night.  Mr UPS hand delivered it too!  But where is the $4 credit promised? <br><br>I dig it very much.  Nice to hear early versions.  I hope FZ doesn't mind.<br><br>Okay to posted subject:<br><br>I wonder if anyone knows if Sting was in attendence that night in Sydney?<br><br>I don't know much of The Police catalog, but I checked and saw the album with "don't Stand So Close to Me" was released in 1980.  did anyone else hear FZ creating the basis of this tune around 4:40 into Zoot?<br><br>Well, Gordon...what do have to say for yourself?<br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:17 pm 

<br>[quote author=Yomama link=board=rant&num=1030210206&start=0#0 date=08/24/02 at 09:30:05]<br>Got OZ last night.  Mr UPS hand delivered it too!  But where is the $4 credit promised? <br><br>I dig it very much.  Nice to hear early versions.  I hope FZ doesn't mind.<br><br>Okay to posted subject:<br><br>I wonder if anyone knows if Sting was in attendence that night in Sydney?<br><br>I don't know much of The Police catalog, but I checked and saw the album with "don't Stand So Close to Me" was released in 1980.  did anyone else hear FZ creating the basis of this tune around 4:40 into Zoot?<br><br>Well, Gordon...what do have to say for yourself?<br><br><br>Probably just a coinkidink. I saw Sting open for the Dead in '93 with Vinnie on drums. I didn't know who he was at the time, but of course was amazed.<br><br>[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:22 am 

Well, I know quite a bit about Sting and The Police...<br>I did not find any clue that Sting was in Australia in back 1976. He was a teacher in Newcastle then, wasn`t he?<br>Well now, Don`t Stand So Close To Me was recorded in late ´77 and released in ´78 as a single, so a musical coincidence might be realistic. Anyway, the basic riff to this tune is not way too outstanding, so you can come acrross it by improvising...