Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:00 am 

Recommend any books? Any writer? Series? Favorite atricles you saved from 65? Do you read much? Do you read much on the net? How many Zappa books have you read? How many have you own? Do you find them really different from one another? Are you writing one at the time? In this exact moment? Huh?

Post subject: Re: Zappa Books
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:15 am 

welcome, friend from israel.  the only fz book i've read is "the real frank zappa book," which was a couple of years ago.  that is the only "official" book that fz has put out, as far as i know (please correct me if i'm wrong).  check that out, it's a very enjoyable read.  actually it's not even like reading, it's like frank is sitting there talking to you.  great book.  :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:24 pm 

does anyone recommend the "electric don quixote" book? I saw it this weekend in my local bookstore but didn't buy it. Is is worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:17 am 

[quote author=City Hall Fred link=board=rant;num=1066759227;start=0#2 date=10/21/03 at 15:24:27]does anyone recommend the "electric don quixote" book? I saw it this weekend in my local bookstore but didn't buy it. Is is worth it?[/quote]<br>I enjoyed reading it, but found very new insite into Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:41 am 

Get "The negative dialectics of poodle play" by Ben Watson. Hilarious musical & philosophical analysis of FZ albums, lyrics and artwork. <br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:39 am 

Anyone got "Frank Zappa" by Guy Dagnol? <br>Great reading, if you're good at French (I especially enjoyed the translation of Hot Rats (rats chauds)), but it has several grave errors (such as stating Dweezil was born in 1970).

Post subject: re: zappa books
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:44 am 

i like both poodle play & electric don q. because they both have indexes so you can look stuff up....<br><br>poodle play is very comprehesive & well reseasrched (imo), although some people think it's full of factual errors, i say it's not a big deal, it's packed with enough insight & conceptual continuity to make it a very interesting read....<br><br>electric don q. is also worth purchasing (imo) because it draws on some frank interviews by the author that don't show up in other books, especially some of the quotes....also, quotes/facts have been documented at the end of the book as far as the sources of info...<br><br>poodle play discussion [sub]Image[/sub]<br>more poodle play discussion [sub]Image[/sub]