Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:04 am 

Can anyone tell me exactly which interview McCartney remarked that Freak Out! and Pet Sounds were towering influences over Sgt. Pepper's in?  I need this info for sourcing purposes.<br><br>Thanks  8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:14 pm 

C'mon guys, don't let me down.  I know he said this stuff, but I wanna have proof if they call me on it.  :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:35 pm 

Thanks!  ;D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:46 pm 

<br> I think th exact quote comes from McCartneys bio..'Blackbird Singin'<br>  But dont quote me on this...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:00 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=rant;num=1066820691;start=0#5 date=10/24/03 at 05:03:12]<br>When Sgt. Pepper finally was released, Brian Wilson was so messed up by drugs that he couldn't really muster anything to challenge the Beatles again.[/quote]<br><br>But that's when Zappa stepped up to the plate with WOIIFTM.  ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:48 pm 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=rant;num=1066820691;start=0#5 date=10/24/03 at 05:03:12]...I do remember reading more about that, somewhere, but my old memory cells won't tell me where or when that was...[/quote]hey lumpy, turns out those cells aren't that old after all...[sub]Image[/sub] translated from german website<br><br>[font=times new roman]We are more popular than Jesus sound John Lennon self-confidently in an interview during last the Beatles' route 1966 in America. The Fab Four actually stands in the zenith of its volume career. From the 24.Nov'66 to 2.April '67 the quartet takes up its best plate in the studio 2 of the "Abbey of Road" complex, while next door in studio 1 Pink Floyd at its debut Piper RK The gate OF Dawn arbeiten. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts club volume (Parlophone/EMI) is considered as one of the first and most popular concept albums of the Popgeschichte, although it was not at all so planned at first (see above quotation of George Martin). <br><br>But Paul McCartney had there his own conceptions. It was impressed by two albums: Pet Sound of the Beach Boys was a technical masterpiece of the multi-trace admission, and the double album[/font] [font=arial black]Freak Out [/font][font=times new roman]of franc Zappa opened with his four sides and different title lengths of 2 to 12 minutes new possibilities of LP production. Paul wanted to draw now its own "Freak Out", somewhat completely special up. And George Martin was the key figure to its plans. <br><br>It converts the ideas of the Beatles klanglich and brings in its whole experience from earlier productions (among other things jazz, orchestra photographs, Scottish folklore) with Sgt Pepper also. The Beatles sound versatile like never before, astonish by surprising effects and process psychedelische and drug influences. The Fab Four quotes Swing, Blues, Soul and asiatic Mystik. Already before the official publication date Songs from "Sgt. Pepper" run on English and American radio stations. The BBC refuses playing the ingenious piece of conclusion of "A Day in The Life" because it allegedly [/font]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:33 pm 

THANK YOU  :o ;D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:55 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=rant;num=1066820691;start=0#8 date=10/25/03 at 16:48:15]<br>[url=http://home.pages.at/poidl/Pepper.htm]hey lumpy, turns out those cells aren't that old after all...[sub]Image[/sub] The BBC refuses playing the ingenious piece of conclusion of "A Day in The Life" because it allegedly [/font][/quote]<br><br>because it allegedly ----- what?