Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:08 am 

Image<br><br>Anyone who is even remotely a fan of the group should definately check this out.  It contains 5 hours of all the footage of Zeppelin there is, digitally restored of course. The DVD includes four entire concerts in great quality, both visually and sonically. It also contains nifty extras like the "Communication Breakdown" promo video and a Dutch television appearance that was previously only available in the form of an umpteenth generation dub (which I have a copy of). <br><br>Get it while it's cheap!  :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:16 am 

Actually, it's parts of four different concerts. <br><br>And yes, there's some really amazing stuff on there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:29 am 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#1 date=06/03/03 at 10:16:43]Actually, it's parts of four different concerts. <br><br>[/quote]<br><br>My mistake, you're right about that.  The Albert Hall one is the full concert though!  8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:32 am 

[quote author=r_a_Z_Z link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#3 date=06/03/03 at 10:29:05]<br><br>My mistake, you're right about that.  The Albert Hall one is the full concert though!  8)[/quote]<br><br>Sorry. Heartbreaker (and maybe more?) is missing from Albert Hall 1970 because it was on a defective reel. The intro audio part of Heartbreaker that survived is on disc 1 as background to a menu. This info is in the booklet that accompanies disc 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:34 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#2 date=06/03/03 at 10:22:26]I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to go into more detail on this.  Is it reworked versions or play em like the record?  Is it Song Remains the Same, part 2?  Is it great quality meaning that it doesn't suck as bad as some Zeppelin live stuff or it really is full-bandwidth?  Is there non-catalog stuff that is essential?[/quote]<br><br>It's great quality footage with surround sound audio.  This is what the DVD set contains:<br><br>Disc 1:<br><br>Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1970) - <br><br>We're Gonna Groove<br>I Can't Quit You Baby<br>Dazed and Confused<br>White Summer<br>What Is and What Should Never Be<br>How Many More Times<br>Moby Dick<br>Whole Lotta Love<br>Communication Breakdown<br>C'mon Everybody<br>Something Else<br>Bring It On Home<br><br>Extras -<br><br>Communication Breakdown  Promo<br>Danmarks Radio<br>Supershow<br>Tous en Scene<br><br>Disc 2:<br><br>Immigrant Song (1972)<br><br>Madison Square Garden (1973) - <br><br>Black Dog<br>Misty Mountain Hop<br>Since I've Been Loving You<br>The Ocean<br><br>Earls Court (1975) -<br><br>Going to California<br>That's the Way<br>Bron Ua Aur Stomp<br>In My Time of Dying<br>Trampled Underfoot<br>Stairway to Heaven<br><br>Knebworth (1979) - <br><br>Rock and Roll<br>Nobody's Fault But Mine<br>Sick Again<br>Achilles Last Stand<br>In The Evening<br>Kashmir<br>Whole Lotta Love<br><br>Extras - <br><br>NYC Press Conference<br>Down Under<br>The Old Greay Whistle Test<br>Promos<br><br>Well worth the price of admission my friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:50 am 

[quote author=Arkay link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#2 date=06/03/03 at 10:22:26]I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to go into more detail on this.  ... [/quote]<br>Here's what I can recall.<br><br>Disc 1 is almost the entire 1970 Albert Hall concert. There are 4 "extras", mostly 1969/1970 versions of Communications Breakdown and Dazed and Confused done for TV. The concert is outstanding (both video and audio), the extras range from lip-synching to really good.<br><br>Disc 2 has some footage from Australia 1972 for one tune but the music is from LA or Long Beach (unremarkable), 4 tunes from New York (1973?) which is from the same concert that "Song Remains the Same" was taken from but were not included, six (?) tunes from 1975 Earl's Court, seven tunes from 1979 Knebworth - 3 separate interviews and 2 1990 promo clips are the extras.<br><br>the 1973 and 1975 stuff is incredible, the 1979 is personally not my favorite Zep period.<br><br>This is truly a "must have" for Zep fans - alot of care and work work into this and it comes across both on audio and video. <br><br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:07 am 

[quote author=6stringmaniac link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#7 date=06/04/03 at 10:02:30]still waiting for Amazon to get their act together and deliver the damn fucking thing.....<br><br>I did buy the CD, and it sounds awesome.  In some ways I think they were tighter than the Song Remains the Same performance....<br><br>THe Ocean is my favorite...[/quote]<br><br>I was never fond of "The Song Remains the Same", but the "Since I've Been Loving You" and "The Ocean" cuts on the DVD (from that same performance) are WOW!<br><br>The waiting is the hardest part, but it should be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:12 pm 

I've only had a chance to watch it once so far, but I was impressed with the 79 performance.  Alot of people say Page got sloppier, didn't practice as much, etc. in the latter years of the band, but still-not bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:02 am 

I'm a big LZ fan from way back, I saw them in 1977 (same year of my first Zappa concert).<br>I really like this DVD, and what a bargain, 5:20 for $17.99!<br>John Bonham was always one of my favorite drummers but after watching this DVD I think my appreciation for him has doubled.<br><br>Speaking of the perceived sloppyness of Page on the '79 Knebworth footage (I still enjoyed him BTW), I must say that Bonham's drumming was in excellent form that night!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:25 am 

[quote author=zombywoof5050 link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=0#10 date=06/05/03 at 08:02:04]<br>John Bonham was always one of my favorite drummers but after watching this DVD I think my appreciation for him has doubled.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I have seen Jimi Hendrix play the "Hey Joe" solo perfectly with his teeth...<br><br>Image<br><br>I have seen T-Bone walker do whatever the fuck you wanna call this...<br><br>Image<br><br>But Bonham's "Moby Dick" solo on the DVD is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.  Not only is it sonically mindbending, but it's visually incredible as well.<br><br>Note: You can see how Bonham beefed up over the years through the footage.  I guess alcohol really does make you fatter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:39 pm 

I'm still recovering from a Zeppelin overdose after listening to all 8 hours of the DVD and CD sets in less than two days. For a few nights, I couldn't sleep without my doubleneck next to me on the bed, but I'm starting to get better, and the shakes have subsided.<br><br>I also picked up the new issue of Guitar World with Page on the cover. Get it if you don't have it. Excellent interview with JP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:21 pm 

A few extra comments about the DVD set...<br><br>1. As some of you hardcore Zep fans who have seen it all before can tell, the Knebworth footage was transferred from video to film, which looks like shit in my opinion, but at least it still kicks ass sonically, especially "Achilles' Last Stand". I'm guessing that this was done so it would be match up better with the bootleg footage.<br><br>2. Re: the Albert Hall concert - Is it me or does  "I Can't Quit You Babe" sound exactly like the Coda version, albeit extended? The Coda version was supposed to have been recorded during rehearsals, but it sounds more like an edit of the live performance.<br><br>3. And is that Nigel Tufnel standing offstage to the left? ???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:12 am 

I bought the DVD exactly a week ago (june 3d) and it's totally awesome, fantastic, super, great and all those other complimentive words you can think of to describe a thing this beautiful...<br><br>I ESPECIALLY love the Royal Albert Hall footage from 1970, just check out John Bonhams solo Moby Dick and it's safe to say that Led Zeppelin couldn't and shouldn't re-unite ever again !!!<br><br>Also the Madison Square Garden 1973 stuff is awesome, especially The Ocean....<br><br>Earls Court 1975: all that great acoustic stuff and last but not least Knebworth 1979: killer material, and especially Jimmy Page is unbelievably fantastic and looks as if he could collapse from total exaustion every second...<br><br>And then there's all that extra footage, interviews, tv appearances, back stage stuff and more...<br><br>What am i trying to say here ???<br><br><br>[move]GO BUY DVD !!![/move]<br><br>Right now i am trying to burn all the music material on to normal cd's, so that i can listen to the stuff in my car or my disc-man...<br><br>So there isn't any need for me to buy the new Led Zeppelin Live 3CD...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:05 am 

[quote author=AbnucealEmukaah83 link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=15#15 date=06/10/03 at 08:12:53]... So there isn't any need for me to buy the new Led Zeppelin Live 3CD...[/quote]<br><br>I wouldn't go this far - the CD is also VERY GOOD.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:41 am 

[quote author=arrcee link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=15#16 date=06/10/03 at 10:05:28]<br><br>I wouldn't go this far - the CD is also VERY GOOD.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes, i believe it is...<br>Actually when i was in the store the 3d of june, i could hardly decide what i was going to buy: the DVD or the CD, but after thinking it over for 15 minutes i decided to go for the DVD, for a number of personal reasons:<br><br>1: Most of the songs on the CD are also on the DVD, and with the DVD you also get live footage of the band actually playing the songs...<br><br>2: The songs that aren't on the DVD, but on the CD i already have on other forms of digital media (boots, that is...)<br><br>3: I figured: ''Well, i just buy the DVD and somehow burn the songs on a couple of cd's and therefore have my own kinda personal created Led Zeppelin Live CD Compilation...''<br><br>4: And since i never saw Zeppelin live (except for their ''Song Remains The Same'' motion picture), i figured this would be the perfect thing to buy...<br><br>5: And with the DVD you also get other stuff not on the LIVE CD, such as interviews, promo's, backstage material and other never before seen footage<br><br>Taking all this in consideration, i settled for DVD.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:13 am 

I'm not that interested in the CD.  Any three disc set that only contains 18 songs has to have plenty of slow moments.  Shit, I love "Dazed & Confused", but do I really need a 25 minute version?<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:18 am 

[quote author=LumpyGravy link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=15#19 date=06/11/03 at 08:53:09]<br>But, I guess it was more of an experience seeing them perform a 25-minute version of "Dazed and Confused", than listening to it on an album. [/quote]<br><br>Precisely.  That seems like a moment where you would just zone out at a show and fall deep into the groove, where listening to it on a record, it'll just sound like a 15 minute long guitar solo being played with a bow between blues riffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:11 am 

Ordered thru Amazon yesterday for "my son's birthday".<br><br> ;)<br><br>Hope he let's me watch it.<br><br>Heh  heh  heh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:35 am 

Okay ~ I just got the DVD.<br><br>I was reading an interview with Page in Guitar World or something where he said the footage at Earl's Court was nothing but close-ups used for their rear projection.<br><br>So does the Earl's Court footage suck?<br><br>I've got to wait till July 1st to "give it to my kid" to find out!<br><br>What say you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:55 am 

[quote author=Lets_Be_Fraynk link=board=rant;num=1054660117;start=15#22 date=06/17/03 at 11:35:22]Okay ~ I just got the DVD.<br><br>I was reading an interview with Page in Guitar World or something where he said the footage at Earl's Court was nothing but close-ups used for their rear projection.<br><br>So does the Earl's Court footage suck?<br><br>I've got to wait till July 1st to "give it to my kid" to find out!<br><br>What say you?[/quote]<br><br>Not to worry, the Earl's Court footage is quite good. So is the audio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:56 pm 

I noticed in the Knebworth footage that JPJ has a phone on top of his keyboard. Is that so he can order pizza during "Moby Dick" or what?