Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:42 am 

I remember when FZ died. <br>I remember that  morning very clearly. <br>My wife woke me up very early and told me to watch the news. <br> <br>Drinking a cup of black water, the words were spoke. Frank Zappa has died........two seconds later my Christmas tree fell over.....and so did my emotions. <br> <br>It was my first bout with depression.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:12 am 

i dunno, but i know where i was when president sadat got hit - in biology lesson.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:25 am 

I got fired from a crappy telemarketing job that day. I was sent home at 9:30am. On my way home, I picked up a newspaper, & that's when I found out. Nice, huh? -DJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:25 am 

Correction: I guess that'd've been the day AFTER FZ died. Duh.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:26 am 

I saw it while watching the evening tv news at home...just a brief announcement, no picture, story or anything...I wasn't really surprised because I'd heard he was sick, but I still went numb...I honestly felt as though I had lost a close friend, and was depressed for months...every member of my family:  parents, brother, and sister called to ask if I'd heard the news...my father used Franks death as part of his argument for me to get my prostate checked!<br><br>I was also watching tv news when I saw that Kubrick died...as they broke for a commercial they showed a clip from "The Shining" with a voice-over saying, "Coming up next, a legendary director dies"...I had to sit thru the commercials until they came back with the story.  I was devastated by that one too, but not as much as Frank...<br><br>And finally, there was the day the Music died...I heard that news as I was driving in my Chevy down by the levy.  <br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:01 pm 

when lady di died i didnt believe it - if someone tole you something like that happend its either a joke or too unreal to grasp - not that i was a fan that is. when i 9/11 occured i didnt get it either. <br>when my pet dog died when i was 10 - THAT was a big deal with an immediate reality and devestating effect.<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:06 pm 

I woke from a sound sleep to hear a Zappa tune on our top 40 radio station. I must have fell asleep with the radio on and woke to hear Dinah Moe Hum or something. I thought it odd to hear Frank on the radio and waited to hear what the DJ was gonna say, and he announced the unthinkable. Needless to say there was no more sleep that night and I stayed up listening to Frank til it was time to go to work. At the time I was in a partnership with another freak and at work that day all we did was watch the news and listen to loud Zappa. All day the phone rang at our office with condolences from our friends. Someone even sent us flowers like we had just lost a family member. We sorta did.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:03 pm 

... I was at work, and heard about it from the radio....T'was a very fucked up day indeed.... :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'(  :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :( :'( :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:02 pm 

I was in my dorm room during my freshman year of college.  I wasn't a fan then but was pissed nonetheless as my uncle is a huge fan.  I started listening to his stuff later that year and have been upset at myself about not being a fan while he was alive.  I really didn't know any better as I was (and still am) snot-nosed at the time...  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:20 pm 

I dunno. I was only 12 or 13 at the time, and I wasn't into any kind of music yet. I had heard his name mentined a few times here and there, though, so I kinda knew he existed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:41 am 

I was just about to start kindergarten. :-[<br>Hmmm....10 years ago, i was...hmmm...6. :o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:47 am 

I was 5 years old.<br><br>So I didn't knew about him and nor did my parents play him either.<br><br> -/dr_grogg<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:41 am 

oh - i do remember something about when frank died - though not all the details of exactly where i was or anything - it was mrs. mungo who told me it had happend - she only picked up on it cause we had been to see the grandmothers a few weeks / months beforehand - thats the closest i can get to the whens and wheres of the event.<br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:13 pm 

I was hanging out with my friend since 2nd grade, John Agar III. <br>(whose father is mentioned in 'We Are Not Alone') The news just <br>about floored me, and the bottom seemed to drop out of everything. <br>I still get that same 'sinking feeling' to this day.

yore barkin' up the wrong tree.
- Festus Haggen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:23 am 

The news about Frank being sick was spreading around but when we heard that he died the earth stood still. It was in the morning of december 5 1993 that i was called by my sister in law, she told Frank died. From that day on I put Franks framed picture on the mantle piece and lit a candle every day till december 21, Franks and my birthday...I do that for ten years now and never missed a year! :'(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:36 am 

[quote author=unica link=board=rant;num=1069166539;start=15#19 date=11/21/03 at 03:23:48]The news about Frank being sick was spreading around but when we heard that he died the earth stood still. It was in the morning of december 5 1993 that i was called by my sister in law, she told Frank died. From that day on I put Franks framed picture on the mantle piece and lit a candle every day till december 21, Franks and my birthday...I do that for ten years now and never missed a year! :'([/quote]THAT'S ONE GREAT TRADITION!!!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:50 pm 

Heard the bad news on the radio.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 pm 

It's wierd (to me at least) that I can remember exactly where I was when Elvis and Lennon died but not the musician I liked a lot more than either of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:22 pm 

I recall exactly where I was that day.
And I cried.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:23 pm 

I was at the Library and read it in the paper.