Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:16 am 

My Mother hates Frank Zappa and is fed up with him, and my two sisters feel the same way. My Dad likes most of his stuff but thinks I buy to many of his albums. My cat enjoys it.<br><br>What about you shy people?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:27 am 

The power of constant exposure wore my wife down a couple of years ago (finally)....she used to say that she could only deal with his "real songs" (i.e., Honey Don't You Want, etc, and after seeing Ike with Bogus Pomp Halloween '98 she walked around for a week singing Lucille), but now will tap the ol' foot or nod the head....HA!<br><br>The boys rock out to it...but then again, whatever we put on, they rock out to.<br><br>And the cats, well, the cats are just there...you know, like cats!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:56 pm 

Mother cant stand FZ.  She runs a day care in our house, so I crank the FZ for the kids  ;D.  Luckely, years of listing to meaningless lyrics has left her deaf to the words of FZ.  My sister likes the fake punk stuff a la Blink182 and such, and my cat is more into Tom Waits, but I ain't complaining.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:32 pm 

Geeeez, Silly B...yer mudda runs a daycare in-house, huh?  Watch it with those "stick out yer hot, curly weenie" around the kiddies!<br><br>Wouldn't want yer moms to lose any customers...I can just see a lil' toddler going home and singing --<br><br>Weenie weenie weenie...<br>Make it go fast --<br>In and out...<br>Magical Pig!<br>'Til it squirts, squirts, squirts, squirts...<br>FIRE!<br><br><br>Tee hee hee...<br>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:52 am 

All of my friends hate Zappa, my mother thinks that Elvis lives, and I play my cd alone.<br>But my dog likes We're only in it for, and sometimes I watch around and I ask to me:who is really the dog? ???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:10 pm 

My mate jim reckons he was an increadibly intelligent bloke with some great ideas but he cant listen to his music. Too excentric (spelling timothy).  But he's a tory voting fox hunter.<br> ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:30 pm 

[quote author=homewrecker link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=0#9 date=12/18/02 at 17:10:11]  But he's a tory voting fox hunter.[/quote]<br><br>I'd rather vote for foxes and hunt tories (just like Bill Hicks' gameshow idea).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:41 pm 

[quote author=Silly_Beatnik link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=0#5 date=12/17/02 at 19:56:18]Mother cant stand FZ.  She runs a day care in our house, so I crank the FZ for the kids  ;D.  Luckely, years of listing to meaningless lyrics has left her deaf to the words of FZ.  My sister likes the fake punk stuff a la Blink182 and such, and my cat is more into Tom Waits, but I ain't complaining.[/quote]<br>You said your sister likes the FAKE PUNK stuff, does that mean that you like the REAL PUNK stuff? If so, we gotta talk. But getting back on topic here...my friends and family don't really understand why I like Frank's music. They understand why I have respect for his mind, ideas and humor, but they all say the same thing about his music....YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THAT WEIRD SHIT?! ???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:58 pm 

children respond better to zappa than adults - they havent learnd whats proper music and what aint. i play my 5 year old stuff like the muffin man and dont eat the yellow snow - believe me they get it and appreciate it. well , bits of it anyway.<br>mungo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:09 am 

my poor wife is a total Zappa widow.  i rationalize Zappa as a hobby, a way of life, and a responsibility.  it's IMPORTANT that i spend 3 hours a night downloading, burning, cataloging, and enrapturing myself with FZ media.<br><br>she doesn't get it at all, which i completely understand.  what could be so important about a dead guy who writes jumbled music?  to her, EVERY song is The Black Page - a plague on the ears.  i keep telling her, he was here first, baby - sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:24 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=0#7 date=12/18/02 at 08:58:31]Now - 21 years later - we're married, have a daughter, and still live in Santa Cruz. She took me to see Frank two more times. You don't think I'd let her get away, do you?[/quote]<br><br>You lucky bastard!<br><br>Here's my story:  When I met my girl 3 years ago, she wasn't really that into music (only had a couple of cd's, I got lucky she listened to the same radiostation I did).  Time by time I let her hear some of 'my music' (that's how she call it).  I let her know Jeff Buckley, Tom Waits, ... and YES she liked it.  Tried with some more melodious songs by Captain Beefheart (unconditionally guaranteed & stuff), what she appreciated.  But when I let her hear some Zappa-songs, she put the stereo to a lousy '3'.  Too bad.  My girl doesn't like FZ!  The only song she like sometimes (when she's in the MOOD), is Bobby Brown (from the radio).  Others: definitely NOT!  Lucky for me she got very often some appointments & meetings at the evening, so I can turn the stereo to my '9'!  YES!  My neighbours didn't complain yet.  <br>(BTW: my girl doesn't even understand why I order my cd's alfabeticaly...)<br>I got no pets (not allowed in the building), so there's no one at my place who I discus FZ.<br>My parents know that he exists & what the meaning of him is for me.<br>BUT: got a couple of friends who are really into Zappa.  We help eachother with knowing the dude much beter & learn eachother what we've heard & saw.  Thank you guys!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:48 pm 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=15#17 date=12/21/02 at 19:42:22]My son-I tried.<br>[/quote]<br>How old is your son? Maybe he isn't lost quite yet...  ;)<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:20 pm 

EVERYONE I KNOW HATES FZ<br><br>the closest I have is a drummer friend who hates FZ but loves Terry Bozzio's work and a guitar god friend who like ALL guitar solos, including FZ's but finds him WAY to scary (I lent him Freak Out! Absolutely Free and We're Only In it For the Money), he loves Steve Vai tho!<br>I tried to get Retrn. Sn. Monster Magnet as our school's announcement theme (Suzy Creamcheese....America's Wonderful, etc.) it almost caused a riot at the meeting with little to no support (the teacher loved it, apparently he has the original Verve pressing) and I tried to get My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama on at our school spirit day, it failed understandably. then last year I "ruined" Christmas morning with my insistant playing of the Lumpy Gravy album while discussing with my other "weird" cousin about evil being grown or inherient (sp?), think about it, Christmas morning: Lumpy Gravy was the soundtrack of constant discussion of mass murderers!  :o ;D<br>God bless us everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:14 am 

[quote author=Man from Utopia link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=15#19 date=12/21/02 at 19:50:26]<br>12. Trust me, I'll keep trying.[/quote]<br><br>Oh, nothing lost I would say. I only got into him after my twenties, and had to discover him myself. If my dad had been into him, i'm sure I'd picked him up much earlier - but of course only AFTER teenage rebellion... *That* is going to be fun!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:18 am 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1040148995;start=15#20 date=12/21/02 at 21:20:43]My  7 year old son hasn't listened to any FZ yet. My wife HATES Frank. I am waiting for the time when he can KEEP A SECRET, so that I can carefully wash his brain with all things Zappa. He and I, we'll have a gas in our little private music world....[/quote]<br>Yeah, actually, why should we care what other think, try to convert others, be a FZ-missionary, and the likes?<br><br>Maybe I should indeed think of him as my own big secret - in a the-rest-of-the-world-is-lost-anyway-kinda-way... Let's indulge!<br>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:17 pm 

I have a friend who hated FZ because he was 'bad at guitar'. The solo in Cosmik Debris on the DHBIM video changed that. Now his excuse is 'he's not very funny'. Well he's an Oasis fan so I'm just gonna give up and try to convert someone else.