Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:36 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
That shows a clearly missinterpretation of so called human primitive cultures (or maybe just plain racism). To belive that they were undeveloped is more so naïve... Some pre-colombiam nations had a very advance astronomical knwoledge.

I wasn't meaning any other civilization was undeveloped. I was talking about us dude, WE are the undeveloped tribes.

Forget it and take it easy, I was just joking not really discussing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:53 pm 

Maroual wrote:

Forget it and take it easy, I was just joking not really discussing.

Ok, you've made your point, thanks... Sorry I missunderstood you.

Oh, something I'd like to add: they probably would have to have other means to travel than straight-line light-speed travel... The distances are way too prohibitive... More likely other unkown means or things like worm-holes, etc (which only add further to you argument, what was it again? We might be sumed by the aliens)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:56 pm 

Maroual wrote:
Could the Africans and Ameridians tribes leaders secretly negociate with the Europeans visitors and hide their existence? LOL

Since you've mentioned it: I have studied that indeed it happened to some extent in African slavess. Some tribes negotiated with the Europeans the capture and trade of rival tribes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:00 pm 

Mr. Genes, I'm not being all creepy here (because that is not in my nature), but I have to say I'm glad I blundered into your thread in such a dumb fashion because it made me actually read it - and it's very interesting.

One of the things I find most interesting about the whole UFO thing is the way in which people have actually perceived these craft in different eras. I remember reading about a whole batch of cases of UFO sightings at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century, which were widely reported in the press at that time throughout the USA and elsewhere. Apparently, the craft typically took the shape of airships (as in zeppelin-type craft) - just at the time that airships were coming into production. A typical case would even cite airships with ropes coming off them, and anchors on the end of the ropes getting hooked up on the tops of church steeples. Later came the "cigar" shapes and the Roswell saucers, then the sleeker craft spotted everywhere around the time of Speilberg's "Close Encounters".

I always liked Frank's lines, "Was it round and did it have a motor, or was it something different?" I've never subscribed to the nuts & bolts craft or flesh & blood occupants theory - I think it is far more fascinating to consider what it tells us about human psychology. And that's not to say that my personal opinion is that all UFO sightings come from delusional people (though there are plenty of those around), or that bug-eyed monsters are zapping rays at us to make us perceive them in whatever way suits them best - or even that we are a fucked-up pathetic species with a desperate need to get some magic back into our mundane lives. I have no inside information - it may be one or all of the above or something far more extraordinary. I don't necessarily want to believe (or necessarily want hand relief just now, either) - but I do think it's important for us to keep asking the questions ... what the fuck else are we here for? And if nothing else, what we should certainly keep asking is what our stupid governments are hiding from us and where do they get off thinking we don't have the ability to handle such information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:04 pm 

Well, i have seen one, pretty darn up close. So yes, they do exist, like it or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:27 pm 

Dr. Mono wrote:
Well, i have seen one, pretty darn up close. So yes, they do exist, like it or not.

Could you be more precise plz? Have you seen an UFO or an alien?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:20 pm 

Maroual wrote:
Dr. Mono wrote:

Could you be more precise plz? Have you seen an UFO or an alien?

I saw a "Unidetified" (fuck, I identified it, it was a space craft) Flying Object. I saw it very close in the sky, looks just like all your stereotypical drawings, it was saucer like with lights all around it. I stared at it for ages, and thought clearly to myself about what it could be, and before it took off at an incredible speed, I had decided it was probably a space ship deseigned by some sort of space creatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:32 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Hacker fears 'UFO cover-up'

In 2002, Gary McKinnon was arrested by the UK's national high-tech crime unit, after being accused of hacking into Nasa and the US military computer networks.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm]
Exclusive BBC Interview
>>>>>CLICK ME I'M A VIDEO<<<<< [/url]

He says he spent two years looking for photographic evidence of alien spacecraft and advanced power technology.

America now wants to put him on trial, and if tried there he could face 60 years behind bars.

Banned from using the internet, Gary spoke to Click presenter Spencer Kelly to tell his side of the story, ahead of his extradition hearing on Wednesday, 10 May. You can read what he had to say here.

Spencer Kelly: Here's your list of charges: you hacked into the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the Department of Defense, and Nasa, amongst other things. Why?

Gary McKinnon: I was in search of suppressed technology, laughingly referred to as UFO technology. I think it's the biggest kept secret in the world because of its comic value, but it's a very important thing.

Old-age pensioners can't pay their fuel bills, countries are invaded to award oil contracts to the West, and meanwhile secretive parts of the secret government are sitting on suppressed technology for free energy.

SK: How did you go about trying to find the stuff you were looking for in Nasa, in the Department of Defense?

GM: Unlike the press would have you believe, it wasn't very clever. I searched for blank passwords, I wrote a tiny Perl script that tied together other people's programs that search for blank passwords, so you could scan 65,000 machines in just over eight minutes.

SK: So you're saying that you found computers which had a high-ranking status, administrator status, which hadn't had their passwords set - they were still set to default?

GM: Yes, precisely.

SK: Were you the only hacker to make it past the slightly lower-than-expected lines of defence?

GM: Yes, exactly, there were no lines of defence. There was a permanent tenancy of foreign hackers. You could run a command when you were on the machine that showed connections from all over the world, check the IP address to see if it was another military base or whatever, and it wasn't.

The General Accounting Office in America has again published another damning report saying that federal security is very, very poor.

SK: Over what kind of period were you hacking into these computers? Was it a one-time only, or for the course of a week?

GM: Oh no, it was a couple of years.

SK: And you went unnoticed for a couple of years?

GM: Oh yes. I used to be careful about the hours.

SK: So you would log on in the middle of the night, say?

GM: Yes, I'd always be juggling different time zones. Doing it at night time there's hopefully not many people around. But there was one occasion when a network engineer saw me and actually questioned me and we actually talked to each other via WordPad, which was very, very strange.

SK: So what did he say? And what did you say?

GM: He said "What are you doing?" which was a bit shocking. I told him I was from Military Computer Security, which he fully believed.

SK: Did you find what you were looking for?

GM: Yes.

SK: Tell us about it.

GM: There was a group called the Disclosure Project. They published a book which had 400 expert witnesses ranging from civilian air traffic controllers, through military radar operators, right up to the chaps who were responsible for whether or not to launch nuclear missiles.

They are some very credible, relied upon people, all saying yes, there is UFO technology, there's anti-gravity, there's free energy, and it's extra-terrestrial in origin, and we've captured spacecraft and reverse-engineered it.

SK: What did you find inside Nasa?

GM: One of these people was a Nasa photographic expert, and she said that in building eight of Johnson Space Centre they regularly airbrushed out images of UFOs from the high-resolution satellite imaging. What she said was there was there: there were folders called "filtered" and "unfiltered", "processed" and "raw", something like that.

I got one picture out of the folder, and bearing in mind this is a 56k dial-up, so a very slow internet connection, in dial-up days, using the remote control programme I turned the colour down to 4bit colour and the screen resolution really, really low, and even then the picture was still juddering as it came onto the screen.

But what came on to the screen was amazing. It was a culmination of all my efforts. It was a picture of something that definitely wasn't man-made.

It was above the Earth's hemisphere. It kind of looked like a satellite. It was cigar-shaped and had geodesic domes above, below, to the left, the right and both ends of it, and although it was a low-resolution picture it was very close up.

This thing was hanging in space, the earth's hemisphere visible below it, and no rivets, no seams, none of the stuff associated with normal man-made manufacturing.

SK: Is it possible this is an artist's impression?

GM: I don't know... For me, it was more than a coincidence. This woman has said: "This is what happens, in this building, in this space centre". I went into that building, that space centre, and saw exactly that.

SK: Do you have a copy of this? It came down to your machine.

GM: No, the graphical remote viewer works frame by frame. It's a Java application, so there's nothing to save on your hard drive, or at least if it is, only one frame at a time.

SK: So did you get the one frame?

GM: No.

SK: What happened?

GM: Once I was cut off, my picture just disappeared.

SK: You were actually cut off the time you were downloading the picture?

GM: Yes, I saw the guy's hand move across.

SK: You acknowledge that what you did was against the law, it was wrong, don't you?

GM: Unauthorised access is against the law and it is wrong.

SK: What do you think is a suitable punishment for someone who did what you did?

GM: Firstly, because of what I was looking for, I think I was morally correct. Even though I regret it now, I think the free energy technology should be publicly available.

I want to be tried in my own country, under the Computer Misuse Act, and I want evidence brought forward, or at least want the Americans to have to provide evidence in order to extradite me, because I know there is no evidence of damage.

Nasa told Click that it does not discuss computer security issues or legal matters. It denied it would ever manipulate images in order to deceive and said it had a policy of open and full disclosure, adding it had no direct evidence of extra-terrestrial life [yeah, sure...].

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4977134.stm

UK hacker 'should be extradited'

UK hacker Gary McKinnon should be recommended for extradition to the US, a district court judge has ruled.

The decision means Mr McKinnon will face trial in America for what the US has called "the biggest military hack of all time".

Although he has admitted hacking US military networks, Mr McKinnon said he was motivated by curiosity not malice.

The final decision on whether he should be sent to the US for trial rests with the home secretary.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4757375.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:51 am 

Profile: Gary McKinnon

By Clark Boyd
BBC Technology correspondent

A decision is expected soon in the case to extradite Gary Mckinnon to the US to face hacking charges. Here the BBC News website profiles the hacker, his history and his motives.

To hear the US government tell it, Gary McKinnon is a dangerous man, and should be extradited back to America to stand trial in a Virginia courtroom.

One US prosecutor has accused him of committing "the biggest military computer hack of all time".

If extradited, Mr McKinnon could face decades in US jail, and fines of close to $2m.

'Bumbling nerd'

The charges against Mr McKinnon are extensive.

The US government alleges that between February 2001 and March 2002, the 40-year-old computer enthusiast from North London hacked into dozens of US Army, Navy, Air Force, and Department of Defense computers, as well as 16 Nasa computers.

It says his hacking caused some $700,000 dollars worth of damage to government systems.

What's more, they allege that Mr McKinnon altered and deleted files at a US Naval Air Station not long after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 and that the attack rendered critical systems inoperable.

The US government also says Mr McKinnon once took down an entire network of 2,000 US Army computers. His goal, they claim, was to access classified information.

In July 2005, Mark Summers, another official representing the US government, told a London court that Mr McKinnon's hacking was "intentional and calculated to influence and affect the US government by intimidation and coercion".

The US alleges Mr McKinnon attacked sites soon after 9/11

But Gary McKinnon, or Solo as he was known online, paints a very different picture of himself, and his motivation. In a BBC interview last summer, Mr McKinnon said that he was not a malicious hacker bent on bringing down US military systems, but rather more of a "bumbling computer nerd".

He said he's no web vandal, or virus writer, and that he never acted with malicious intent.

But he did admit that he hacked into dozens of US government computer systems. In fact, he calmly detailed just how easy it was to access extremely sensitive information in those systems.

"I found out that the US military use Windows," said Mr McKinnon in that BBC interview. "And having realised this, I assumed it would probably be an easy hack if they hadn't secured it properly."

Using commercially available software, Mr McKinnon probed dozens of US military and government networks. He found many machines without adequate password or firewall protection. So, he simply hacked into them.

UFO search

But for some, his method of hacking is not nearly so interesting as his reason for doing it.

Mr McKinnon got his first computer when he was 14 years old, and has been a hobbyist ever since. He left school at 17, and became a hairdresser. But, in the early 1990s, some friends convinced him to get a qualification in computers. After completing a course, he started doing contract work in the computing field.

By the late 1990s, Mr McKinnon decided to use his hacking skills to do what he calls "research" on an issue he firmly believes in. Mr McKinnon told the BBC that he is convinced that the United States government is withholding critical information about Unidentified Flying Objects.

"It wasn't just an interest in little green men and flying saucers," said Mr McKinnon. "I believe that there are spacecraft, or there have been craft, flying around that the public doesn't know about."

Mr McKinnon further explained that he believes the US military has reverse engineered an anti-gravity propulsion system from recovered alien spacecraft, and that this propulsion system is being kept a secret.

The US alleges that Mr McKinnon attack the base at Fort Meyer

"I wanted to find out why this is being kept a secret when it could be put to good use," he said in the BBC interview last year.

Gary McKinnon's search turned into an obsession, an addiction. As he probed high-level computer systems in the United States, his life in Britain fell apart. He lost his job, and his girlfriend dumped him. Friends told him to stop hacking, but to no avail.

"I'd stopped washing at one point. I wasn't looking after myself. I wasn't eating properly. I was sitting around the house in my dressing gown, doing this all night."

Net lockdown

Eventually, Mr McKinnon got sloppy. He started leaving behind clues. At one point, Mr McKinnon began posting anti-war diatribes on the screens of the US government computers that were his targets. He has insisted, however, that he never attempted to sabotage any operations.

When Britain's hi-tech crime unit finally came for him 2002, Mr McKinnon was not surprised. He told the BBC: "I think I almost wanted to be caught, because it was ruining me. I had this classic thing of wanting to be caught so there would be an end to it."

He thought he would be tried in Britain, and that he might get, at the most, three to four years in prison.

The US military's use of Windows let Mr McKinnon in

Then, later that year, the United States decided to indict him with charges that could mean up to 70 years in a US prison. It has never been entirely clear why it took US officials until 2005 to begin extradition proceedings.

Gary McKinnon's been fighting extradition ever since, on the grounds that he never intended anything malicious by his hacking. He's been free on bail, but it has been a strange kind of freedom.

Until recently, he had to sign in at his local police station every evening, and could not leave his house at night. The court also forbade him from using any computer connected to the internet.

Some of those restrictions were eased this past Christmas. He can now use the internet, but the authorities are making him register the IP address with the local service provider.

Mr McKinnon remains contrite about what he did, although he has admitted that he thinks US officials are making him a scapegoat. He has said that in the course of his hacking, he found evidence that hundreds of others from around the world were also trying to hack the same networks.

His supporters say that instead of prosecuting him, the US government should thank him for pointing out massive computer security lapses in critical systems.

As for his quest to find evidence of a UFO cover-up, Mr McKinnon has said that he found some circumstantial evidence online to back his claims, including what he said are photos with what he speculated were alien spacecraft airbrushed out of the picture.

He said the photos in question were too large to download to his own computer.

When the BBC asked him last summer if he ever felt like hacking again, Mr McKinnon replied, "No, not at all." He said he wished he had listened to his friends when they told him, nearly three and a half years ago, to stop.

Clark Boyd is technology correspondent for The World, a BBC World Service and WGBH-Boston co-production.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4715612.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:52 am 

Duh....Everyone knows that there are Hutts and Sand People on Tatooine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:01 pm 

BizarroHesh wrote:
Duh....Everyone knows that there are Hutts and Sand People on Tatooine

What about Mars, or Uranus? Why don`t ya display your avatar full blown here, instead of making funny little jokes that embarrass me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:28 am 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9080369676973948865&q=ufo+nasa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:46 am 

Astronauts statments...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3957107916698885661&q=ufo+nasa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:21 pm 

Information

No posts exist for this topic

(no batchainpartiv)

Post subject: the x-thread
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:02 pm 

"it was a bug, dave."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:55 am 

up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:05 am 

McKinnon's extradition condemned

Supporters of Gary McKinnon have condemned the decision to let the former hacker be extradited to the US.

On 4 July Home Secretary John Reid granted the US request to extradite Mr McKinnon for trial.

One friend of the hacker said he was being made a "scapegoat" for the shortcomings of security policies on US military networks.

Others said the potential sentence he could serve if found guilty was out of proportion to the crimes he committed.

Legal fight

Dr K, an author and chronicler of the hacking scene, said he was "saddened" by the news that Mr McKinnon could be extradited.

"The US Government is scapegoating Gary McKinnon to cover up their own shortcomings as systems administrators," he told the BBC News website. "Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?"

"It's a decision long on spin and short on substance," he said.

Extraditing and trying Mr McKinnon would do nothing to improve security on US military networks, he added.

Mr McKinnon has never denied that he wandered around the computer networks of a wide number of US military institutions between February 2001 and March 2002. Mr McKinnon was arrested in November 2002.

However, he has always maintained that he was motivated by curiosity and that he only managed to get into the networks because of the lax security on these systems.

Many of the messages left on the "Free Gary" blog, which has been supporting Mr McKinnon's campaign to fight extradition, criticised the Home Secretary's decision.

One supporter said the decision was "disgusting" and another said it set a "terrible precedent".

Punished

Others said hackers and other hi-tech vandals should be punished for their crimes, but questioned whether Mr McKinnon's treatment had been "fair" as so far the evidence presented by the US against him had not been contested in court.

Slightly more than 50% of 500 IT professionals polled online by computer security firm Sophos said that Mr McKinnon should not be extradited to the US.

A decision in the case was originally due in February 2006 but was postponed as the UK sought assurances from the US about some issues in the case.

The UK wanted to be sure that Mr McKinnon would not face a military tribunal, will be eligible for parole and that he would not serve his sentence at Guantanamo Bay.

Once the judge in the case had these assurances he agreed to let Mr McKinnon be extradited.

Mr McKinnon now has 14 days in which to appeal to the High Court against the decision to extradite him to the US.

He faces decades in jail and millions of dollars in fines if found guilty during the trial that would result from his extradition to the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5157674.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:12 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZb2VlDyYvk

Added July 15, 2006
From johnnysaucer
"UFOs over New York and I ain't too surp "UFOs over New York and I ain't too surprised."-John Lennon
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it myself!!! Can someone please explain to me what this is??? Thanks in advance. My friend Dino Sorbello (www.tripwave.com) shot it out his window overlooking the east village. What is the explanation?

This page dedicated to Andy Kaufman, Lynne Margulies, Alan Abel, Loren Coleman and Timothy Green Beckley. I'd dedicate it to John A. Keel too but he'd probably be insulted!

This UFO footage is featured in the movie "Punk Rock Zombie Kung Fu Catfight" ( http://www.peterbernard.com... ) which I made under my real name.
Breaking a cardinal Andy Kaufman rule, I'm going to tell you I'm really Peter Bernard, and on YouTube I make cartoons called Power People with actors in the U.S. and England.
For more by me please go to http://www.powerpeopleonlin...
or subscribe to my videos here under the name pbmachinima. Thanks! ... (more) (less)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:43 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIwPlKZXerI&mode=related&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:06 am 

Famous Mexico Air Force officially endorsed video, Campeche, 2004:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVNdAl0wrp0

Anonymous video recently surfaced (if it is not graphical computation, it is truly amazing...):

http://www.hbccufo.org/videos/AussieUFO29w.wmv

True or Farse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7gtx5TZL4E

Pro TV shooting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Nm_bIG4tY

Mother Marry and Joseph!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFK3c1UiFUY

Collective sighting in a Brazilian Road 1991:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEcGNA3otc

The Famous Phoenix Lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Y5RjhOThM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:01 am 

More intriguing videos on YouTube:

crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCQUzDg3dQ

Gulf Breeze?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZxB8ldi17E

UFO 1991, NASA Shuttle Mission STS-48 (this one was captured by radio amateurs and happened over OZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMVxypx5fWI

AZ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIyhG29AYqY

Mexico Fleet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4hm9CCxRc

Mexico Fleet 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkRDfrbTE_I

and #3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jccy7Yjxbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:21 am 

Enter Exopolitics

What is Exopolitics? Simply stated Exopolitics is a new and emerging field of study that examines the implications of possible contact between humans and extraterrestrial civilizations. Exopolitics also attempts to provide a political framework in which human beings and extraterrestrials could interact. Exopolitics also seeks to examine the disclosure process that governments may be required to use to inform citizens of the authentic nature of an extraterrestrial presence.

There is a sharper edge to this concept.

Extraterrestrial activity is normally symbolized by the unusual phenomenon known as unidentified flying objects. UFOs have been an unacknowledged reality for decades if not centuries.

Exopolitics provides a broad based connection between the notion that we are being visited by extraterrestrials and, how human culture, politics, religion, the environment, energy sources and technological paradigms will be dramatically altered by contact with off-world civilizations.

Sightings reports by pilots, air traffic controllers, citizens, police officers and other credible individuals of UFOs are on the increase globally.

Science, government, mainstream media and institutional edifices have yet to acknowledge these sightings as a manifest reality. Despite this, polls say the general public by and large accepts the notion we are not alone in the universe. The debate about whether of not UFOs represent a benevolent or other type of incursion into our realm is by no means over.

Off-world civilizations that have long since over come the type of planetary pandemonium that afflicts every fabric of the human tapestry have made themselves known in a strange and obscure manner. Why they choose to do this in this way is beyond our capacity to comprehend at this point, for they possess their agenda. Make no mistake about it we are not alone.

Questions arise from this peculiar set of possibilities which acknowledge off-world civilizations; questions to which there are very few answers.

Why are we being exposed to this phenomenon of the strangest kind? Why might exposure to this phenomenon be significant and, might it provide a solution to planetary ruin?

If beings who pilot the craft are in fact from distant planets - millions of light years away - what energy sources are they using to travel the immense distances?

If the craft are in fact real as indicated by military and civilian pilots and air traffic controller reports, and government documents - why are they here?

How have these civilizations managed to survive their own environmental chaos and avoid the extinction that stares us in the face today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:38 am 

Very very nice mini-documentaries, watch it (boy, do I love youtude?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPXCpj7V2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4eBwSyoOc&mode=related&search=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:08 am 

Ufo in China last Agust:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2458967493428649738&q=ufo+china

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:33 pm 

Earth-like planets may be common

Earth-like planets orbiting other stars may be far more common than had once been thought, a study suggests.

Because of the way we currently look for planets around other stars, most that have been detected so far have been gas giants like Jupiter or Saturn.

But one third of these giant planet systems may also harbour worlds like our own, according to an analysis by scientists in the US.

Details of the research appear in the latest issue of the journal Science.

The study focused on a type of planetary system containing so-called "Hot Jupiters". These massive bodies orbit extremely close to their parent stars - in some cases closer than Mercury circles the Sun.

The technique commonly used to find these distant planets detects their gravitational pull on a star. So there is a bias towards finding massive worlds orbiting close to their parent "sun".

Hot Jupiters are thought to have migrated inward toward their stars as their planetary systems were forming.

Debris field

At this stage the evolving planetary system is populated with small planetoids, icy and rocky debris and gas in a "protoplanetary disc".

A gas giant ploughing through this orbiting material creates considerable disturbance. But how exactly this affects the evolving planetary system is the matter of some debate.

Previously, researchers have proposed that inward migration of gas giants caused the disc material either to be vacuumed up or ejected from the cosmic neighbourhood.

"There is certainly scattering, but one of the things people did not take into account was the dense gas in these protoplanetary discs," said co-author Avi Mandell, from Pennsylvania State University, US.

"This gas provides the force that migrates the giant planets inwards but it also damps down the scattering and ejection of particles allowing them to stay caught in the orbit of the star.

"They stay in rather chaotic and often wide orbits; but usually if they remain in the system for millions of years, they settle down and return to a circular orbit where they can merge with other bodies and turn into full planets."

Habitable zone

The researchers, led by Sean Raymond, of the University of Colorado at Boulder, carried out computer simulations of gas giant migration in forming planetary systems. They started off with more than 1,000 virtual Moon-sized objects made of rock and ice and simulated about 200 million years of planetary evolution.

The team concluded that about one of every three known planetary systems could harbour Earth-like planets in habitable zones further out than the Hot Jupiters.

The habitable zone is the region of a planetary system which is neither too hot nor too cold - such that water on the surface of a planet will neither evaporate or freeze, but instead can stay liquid.

"Our simulations show that you can form a giant planet where Jupiter is in our system and and move it through to the inner part of the system. Planets like Earth can still form outside them - as long as they don't get too close to the giant planet," Avi Mandell told the BBC News website.

"If you get too close, the gas giant will scatter material outwards. But if you are far enough away, material can continue to form outside it."

Earth-like planets in habitable zones form in the presence of large amounts of water, the researchers suggest. This raises the possibility that planets like ours orbiting in habitable zones could be covered in oceans - providing all the key constituents required for life.

"We now think there is a new class of ocean-covered - and possibly habitable - planets in solar systems unlike our own," said Dr Raymond.

The simulations also showed that rocky planets known as Hot Earths often form inside the orbits of Hot Jupiters. A team at the University of California, Berkeley has already found one such example, orbiting just 2 million miles from its parent star.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5325476.stm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next