Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The fine wine Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:05 pm 

Hey I have been really digging wine in the last few months since I spent Christmas at the Russian River with my Family and my Brother and his girlfriend the Sommelier.

So far what I really like is Earthy slightly sweet wines (but not Port ewwww) like Petite Syrah, Zinfandel, Shiraz, and Pinot Noir. I don't much care for the cabernet's that I have tried so far but am not close minded yet about it. (not much kick to it so far)

I do like a nice off dry Riesling over a Chardonay.

What i want to try next is a real good Burgundy or a Chablis since they were always considered cheaper wines when I was a kid but i know they make some real good ones in Europe.

MMMMMMM Right now I'm enjoying a nice bottle of Marquis Philips Shiraz from South Eastern Australia. Real nice and earthy (kind of tastes like dirt in a good sort of way) with a sweet acidic flavor reminiscent of Eucalyptus and Blackberry. Woody but not over powering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:37 am 

Most excellent thread Huck !!

Been living in France for 15 years now and have gotten close to the grape if you know what i mean!

Your favorites shows the big difference between consumers on each side of the atlantic. You go for a "variety" of grape (cabernet, syhra, chardonnay), where as we go into more detail preferring one producer over another one in the same AOC. Simply because some plots of land are better exposed than others and one guy might have a little secret in the way he makes his product. However, some years the guy fucks up and his product is not as good as last years....etc...So my group of friends exchange adresses from various areas each year according to what we have tasted..it's all great fun of course, but not really adapted to wine consumer x, who just wants a good botlle to go with the lamb his wife cooked, and he wants it ready to drink tonight directly from the store to the table.
I have about 600 bottles in my cellar the oldest being about 1987 (côte rotie), which will be "ready" to drink in about 2010. There is an immense diffence between young and old wine, the problem is keeping it long enough :wink:

Anyway my two cents to this most excellent thread and by the way Mister Parker just put out his tasting notes for the Bordeaux (oh hum!)

My favorite these days are a syrha made by Galetty in Ardèche (Domaine Galetty), last years bottle is at 14.5% !! :shock: and should keep for about 8/9 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:47 am 

First he buys a condo. Then a wine thread. What's next? "This year's Porsches!"

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
First he buys a condo. Then a wine thread. What's next? "This year's Porsches!"
LOL :mrgreen:

I don't know a thing about wine, except that I like to drink it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:02 am 

http://www.sunstonewinery.com/Default.asp?Page=113

These guys make some good wine around my area....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:54 am 

Oh yea southern califonia coast wine is real good!

what my sister in law (sort of) says is that the European wines are more subtle. (especially the French wines)

I just Love a good Amarone!

I really want to learn more about wine that is for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am 

i have a friend who knows his wines and i have tasted some mighty fine wines from his wine racks. he can go into a store and poke around coming away with some damn tasty stuff. i've watched him and remembered what kinds he bought, but i learned right off that a zinfandel from one winery can be excellent while another zinfandel ends up being poured out because it is awful. i've asked for help at the various shops and the recommendations are as bad as what i pick out on my own. price certainly doesn't seem to be a determining factor. i finally gave up buying it because i may end up with one wine i enjoy out of 20 i try. does anybody know of a primer or some publication that is novice accessible that would help me try to qualify what i actually like in a wine? maybe even assist in selection? it seems like it's such an esoteric subject to try to sort out without help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:05 am 

http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/19/cx_np_1119feat.html

oenophile
Main Entry: oe·no·phile
Pronunciation: 'E-n&-"fIl
Function: noun
Etymology: French [oe]nophile, from [oe]no- (from Greek oinos wine) + -phile -phile -- more at WINE
: a lover or connoisseur of wine

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 am 

I made some homebrew wine once.Tasted like shit.None of my friends would drink it.I drank it and I got legless.It also left me in bed for three days feeling like shit.
Never again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:12 pm 

Huck, try to get a Riesling from Germany. Best locations are Rheingau, Pfalzand Mosel. Although we got some fine red wines here, too - the good red ones from Italy or France are a class of its own. Imo german wines are underated because of the mass production of sweet stuff in former times for older english ladies. Since I've lived in the wine area of Pfalz for a couple of years I know they make great white wines. Besides Riesling I would recommend a Bacchus from Franken. But don't buy the cheap ones.

In case of white wines I prefer homegrown stuff, because they can be very subtle, fruity with tastes of apricots, peaches and what ever you want and a fine acid touch. Imo they are far better than Chablis and Frascati.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:40 pm 

best wines i had blue nunn and can not spell the word lihframich or something like that ?both german wines
edit liebfraumich

Last edited by cleon on Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 pm 

cleon wrote:
best wines i had blue nunn and lihchmich

Sounds like Liebfrauenmilch. Stay away from it, cleon. It'll make you blind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm 

can you get Liebfrauenmilch in diffrent couler labels if so the word for the stronger label around my way is leg opener for the ladies :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:12 pm 

I'm sorry, cleon. I've to confess that my dictionary broke down on your last post. I understand you need a leg opener. Maybe you should try McEwans Lager, a french accent or a Robbie Williams CD. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:15 pm 

They sell Liebfrauenmilch in milk cartons over here, guess it's the local winos favorite drink. :mrgreen:

I'm drinking some cheap South African wine right now. I like it, it's very cheap stuff though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:29 pm 

Liebfrauenmilch in milk cartons ? That's where it belongs to, i guess. :P Famous wino drink here are two liter bottles of Lambrusco.

Never tried wines from South Africa, Chile or other "new" wine areas. But I guess I'll stay away from US wines since a european court decided that they can adulterate their wines with sugar and a lot of other stuff. Brrrrrrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:40 pm 

cleon wrote:
can you get Liebfrauenmilch in diffrent couler labels if so the word for the stronger label around my way is leg opener for the ladies :)
i was serious if you cant get her legs spread with that wow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:49 pm 

mein_name_ist_fritz wrote:
Liebfrauenmilch in milk cartons ? That's where it belongs to, i guess. :P Famous wino drink here are two liter bottles of Lambrusco...
. . . . . .watch me now i'm gonna eat the label

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:58 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
I'm sorry, cleon. I've to confess that my dictionary broke down on your last post. I understand you need a leg opener. Maybe you should try McEwans Lager, a french accent or a Robbie Williams CD. :)
you like Robbie Williams sad
best lager is stella artois belgium's original beer anno 1366 5.2% 500ml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:07 pm 

Quote:

I don't like Robbie either, but he goes over well with the chicks. ;) Always keep a good selection of cheesy music at hand whenever the lady friend comes over.

The best thing my last girlfriend had to say of my FZ, prog rock and jazz collection was... 'how much cash did you spend on all those cds.." :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:12 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
mein_name_ist_fritz wrote:
Liebfrauenmilch in milk cartons ? That's where it belongs to, i guess. :P Famous wino drink here are two liter bottles of Lambrusco...
. . . . . .watch me now i'm gonna eat the label

Shame on the local wine sellers. It seems they sell it to the people of the US. Buuurp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:22 pm 

cleon wrote:
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
best lager is stella artois belgium's original beer anno 1366 5.2% 500ml

1. I don't like Robbie's music.
2. My daughter likes him and his music. (So I guess education was wrong)
3. Stella Artois causes big troubles. Makes you blind, too. I could swear you're a wearing glasses, cleon. Stella got some ingredients that never belongs to a beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:28 pm 

get it right ... So I guess education was wrong... who

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:46 pm 

btw stella is brewed as it should be no shit just .water. malt .yeast .barley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:12 pm 

I like stella but my favorite beer is Pilsner Urquell!

Yea I heard the German wines are quite good. I have had a couple but am still looking for a place that has more than one German wine on the shelf.

I love California Red wines but I don't much care for the whites.