Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 am
Posts: 36
Location: Fillmore East, 1971
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Does anyone know if marijuana interacts well with steroids?


I too would like to find out.

Back to topic, I must state that Grateful Dead is the only other band aside from Zappa (and perhaps Thelonious Monk) for which I cared enough to get the most I could get my hands on (albums, dick pick's, road trips and complete concert sets (things similar to YCDTOSA, etc)). From what I read (Ben Fong-Torres) their performances were really drug-influenced at the time of the Acid Tests. Then the band became somewhat more professional. Jerry Garcia (and the many keyboardists) was pretty much the only one who seemed to struggle with drugs in the 70s and 80s. That and bad eating and sleeping habits led him to face many health problems until his death.

Musically, it took me some time to enjoy the Dead. It took me time to enjoy Frank's music too. I cannot compare Zappa's bands to Grateful Dead. Zappa is much more spectacular in all its technicality (which most importantly never sounds like too much). Grateful Dead does however offer an alternate universe. It is more relaxed and conservative (roots-wise I mean: blues, country, folk etc, and less experimental). I think the Dead mood breaks the Zappa mood nicely when tired of it (if you ever get to that point). The musicians converse well on stage. I believe they have good improv instincts that are best represented on live albums (which are well worth looking into).

I suggest you get the Winterland 73 concerts (better than Live/Dead without the drugs). I understand how Zappa fans can hate Jerry Garcia. He is an emblem of drug abuse. I personally never did or even tried any drugs, only tittes and beer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9247
Location: EINDHOVEN
Image
I don't know the Grateful Dead, but that never stopped me from making this...

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 am
Posts: 294
BBP wrote:
Image
I don't know the Grateful Dead, but that never stopped me from making this...


Please make one of Frank! :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9569
gwonam wrote:
Please make one of Frank! :-)

bbp wrote:
Image
Painted Sept 14-16 2005.


... and while you're taking requests, charles beakowski

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:22 pm
Posts: 2270
Just to put my two cents in (not that it matters a heck of a lot). Never been a GD fan. Never bought any GD product. Never seen a GD show. However, over the years have appreciated them a little bit more. I like the jamming ethic. The GD have a recognizable sound/style. I like their logo/graphics. I would not like to fuck Jerry Garcia in the ass. Thank you for hearing my only post on this topic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9247
Location: EINDHOVEN
Gwonam wrote:
BBP wrote:
Image
I don't know the Grateful Dead, but that never stopped me from making this...


Please make one of Frank! :-)


These topics have you covered:
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7896&hilit=duck+duck+goose
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9111&p=215402&hilit=duck+duck+goose#p215402

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am
Posts: 1119
Location: The Grape
:smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
I think JP has her period.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
Prospero wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Does anyone know if marijuana interacts well with steroids?


I too would like to find out.

Back to topic, I must state that Grateful Dead is the only other band aside from Zappa (and perhaps Thelonious Monk) for which I cared enough to get the most I could get my hands on (albums, dick pick's, road trips and complete concert sets (things similar to YCDTOSA, etc)). From what I read (Ben Fong-Torres) their performances were really drug-influenced at the time of the Acid Tests. Then the band became somewhat more professional. Jerry Garcia (and the many keyboardists) was pretty much the only one who seemed to struggle with drugs in the 70s and 80s. That and bad eating and sleeping habits led him to face many health problems until his death.

Musically, it took me some time to enjoy the Dead. It took me time to enjoy Frank's music too. I cannot compare Zappa's bands to Grateful Dead. Zappa is much more spectacular in all its technicality (which most importantly never sounds like too much). Grateful Dead does however offer an alternate universe. It is more relaxed and conservative (roots-wise I mean: blues, country, folk etc, and less experimental). I think the Dead mood breaks the Zappa mood nicely when tired of it (if you ever get to that point). The musicians converse well on stage. I believe they have good improv instincts that are best represented on live albums (which are well worth looking into).

I suggest you get the Winterland 73 concerts (better than Live/Dead without the drugs). I understand how Zappa fans can hate Jerry Garcia. He is an emblem of drug abuse. I personally never did or even tried any drugs, only tittes and beer.



marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 878
Location: Kissimmee, FL
bugler wrote:
marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............


He got prostate cancer from cigarettes?

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18506
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:
marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............


He got prostate cancer from cigarettes?

Well...they do say only assholes smoke.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:
marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............


He got prostate cancer from cigarettes?



Lung cancer is not the only kind of cancer you get from tobacco. Look it up. We have the internet. wanna get laid, go to college. want an education, get on the internet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 878
Location: Kissimmee, FL
bugler wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:
marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............


He got prostate cancer from cigarettes?



Lung cancer is not the only kind of cancer you get from tobacco. Look it up. We have the internet. wanna get laid, go to college. want an education, get on the internet.


Do you have some evidence that Frank's prostate cancer came from smoking cigarettes?

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:25 am
Posts: 298
Location: Philly
do you have some evidence it didn't?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:37 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14763
From Jerry Garcia's ass to Frank's. At least we have a topic that stays on subject.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 878
Location: Kissimmee, FL
bugler wrote:
do you have some evidence it didn't?


No. Nor do I have any evidence that aliens aren't responsible for building Stonehenge.

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5907
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:
do you have some evidence it didn't?

No. Nor do I have any evidence that aliens aren't responsible for building Stonehenge.

There is evidence. Research has been done on this. Being a heavy smoker significantly increases your chances of dying from prostate cancer. This discussion has been had on this forum in detail but I'm not sure how to find it (actually, I was very busy ...).

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm
Posts: 4716
I think that the huge amount of coffee Frank ingested had more to do with it than smoking did but I am sure it didn't help either. That dude smoked like no other person I have seen. I watched him in a symposium for well over and hour and he drank coffee and smoked like no tomorrow. NO wonder he died so young. really sad. :cry:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 3456
Maybe an early exam would help, in franks case he blamed a doctor for not catching it, the science say we all have cancer ....just waiting for a trigger. maybe check out Dr. OZ

_________________
Confusion will be my epitaph


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:48 am
Posts: 6207
Location: Your Mom's Box
Epic thread that will live FOREVER..... unlike that 4 fingered noodling turd Jerry!!

_________________
Make your checks payable to QUENTIN ROBERT DeNAMELAND, Greatest Living Philostopher Known to Mankind.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 am
Posts: 878
Location: Kissimmee, FL
jaypfunk wrote:
Epic thread that will live FOREVER..... unlike that 4 fingered noodling turd Jerry!!


If Jerry actually did suck, it's doubtful that this thread would have had any life. I'm pretty sure he was better (as a kid) than you will ever be.

_________________
"Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding"! -- Betty White


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:58 pm
Posts: 2142
Location: Birmingham, AL
polydigm wrote:
There is evidence. Research has been done on this. Being a heavy smoker significantly increases your chances of dying from prostate cancer. This discussion has been had on this forum in detail but I'm not sure how to find it (actually, I was very busy ...).

Plus, the daily consumption of a carcinogen for decades probably isn't a positive contribution to your overall health in general (weakened immune system, etc.), so you have an increased risk of cancers unrelated to the lung. Add this to Frank's admitted poor diet (I get the feeling he didn't eat a whole lot of leafy greens), and it doesn't make it too shocking that some kind of cancer got to him.

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Maybe an early exam would help, in franks case he blamed a doctor for not catching it

The thing that gets me is how young he was when he fell ill. Frank said he was feeling unwell as early as the mid-80s, which would have put him in his mid-40s, a pretty young age for prostate cancer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2158
At least Garcia never dressed up in a punker/metal/hard rocker costume like this.....Nice necklace on the dude in the back, though. He stole it off his mom.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:14 pm
Posts: 117
Location: nyc
lol ridiculous

if you're such a huge zappa fan, cant you see subjectivity in music? at least the Dead played all their instruments and wrote all their songs and played non stop for their fans and put on great shows

i cant tell you how many raised eyebrows i get telling people i love zappa more than anything as im sure all the rest of you have


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:00 pm
Posts: 273
jaypfunk wrote:
Imagejohnoppel


Hope that is not one of your fans ... you might not like it!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group