Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 pm 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Does anyone know if marijuana interacts well with steroids?

I too would like to find out.

Back to topic, I must state that Grateful Dead is the only other band aside from Zappa (and perhaps Thelonious Monk) for which I cared enough to get the most I could get my hands on (albums, dick pick's, road trips and complete concert sets (things similar to YCDTOSA, etc)). From what I read (Ben Fong-Torres) their performances were really drug-influenced at the time of the Acid Tests. Then the band became somewhat more professional. Jerry Garcia (and the many keyboardists) was pretty much the only one who seemed to struggle with drugs in the 70s and 80s. That and bad eating and sleeping habits led him to face many health problems until his death.

Musically, it took me some time to enjoy the Dead. It took me time to enjoy Frank's music too. I cannot compare Zappa's bands to Grateful Dead. Zappa is much more spectacular in all its technicality (which most importantly never sounds like too much). Grateful Dead does however offer an alternate universe. It is more relaxed and conservative (roots-wise I mean: blues, country, folk etc, and less experimental). I think the Dead mood breaks the Zappa mood nicely when tired of it (if you ever get to that point). The musicians converse well on stage. I believe they have good improv instincts that are best represented on live albums (which are well worth looking into).

I suggest you get the Winterland 73 concerts (better than Live/Dead without the drugs). I understand how Zappa fans can hate Jerry Garcia. He is an emblem of drug abuse. I personally never did or even tried any drugs, only tittes and beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 am 

I don't know the Grateful Dead, but that never stopped me from making this...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm 

BBP wrote:

Please make one of Frank! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm 

gwonam wrote:

bbp wrote:
Painted Sept 14-16 2005.

... and while you're taking requests, charles beakowski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 pm 

Just to put my two cents in (not that it matters a heck of a lot). Never been a GD fan. Never bought any GD product. Never seen a GD show. However, over the years have appreciated them a little bit more. I like the jamming ethic. The GD have a recognizable sound/style. I like their logo/graphics. I would not like to fuck Jerry Garcia in the ass. Thank you for hearing my only post on this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 am 

Gwonam wrote:
BBP wrote:

These topics have you covered:
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7896&hilit=duck+duck+goose
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9111&p=215402&hilit=duck+duck+goose#p215402

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:17 am 

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:53 am 

I think JP has her period.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 am 

Prospero wrote:
Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Does anyone know if marijuana interacts well with steroids?

I too would like to find out.

Back to topic, I must state that Grateful Dead is the only other band aside from Zappa (and perhaps Thelonious Monk) for which I cared enough to get the most I could get my hands on (albums, dick pick's, road trips and complete concert sets (things similar to YCDTOSA, etc)). From what I read (Ben Fong-Torres) their performances were really drug-influenced at the time of the Acid Tests. Then the band became somewhat more professional. Jerry Garcia (and the many keyboardists) was pretty much the only one who seemed to struggle with drugs in the 70s and 80s. That and bad eating and sleeping habits led him to face many health problems until his death.

Musically, it took me some time to enjoy the Dead. It took me time to enjoy Frank's music too. I cannot compare Zappa's bands to Grateful Dead. Zappa is much more spectacular in all its technicality (which most importantly never sounds like too much). Grateful Dead does however offer an alternate universe. It is more relaxed and conservative (roots-wise I mean: blues, country, folk etc, and less experimental). I think the Dead mood breaks the Zappa mood nicely when tired of it (if you ever get to that point). The musicians converse well on stage. I believe they have good improv instincts that are best represented on live albums (which are well worth looking into).

I suggest you get the Winterland 73 concerts (better than Live/Dead without the drugs). I understand how Zappa fans can hate Jerry Garcia. He is an emblem of drug abuse. I personally never did or even tried any drugs, only tittes and beer.

marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm 

bugler wrote:
marijuana is a racist term. CANNABIS interacts well WITH EVERYHING. Too bad Frank didn't smoke that instead of those cancer sicks. he'd still be here today............

He got prostate cancer from cigarettes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:

Well...they do say only assholes smoke.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:

Lung cancer is not the only kind of cancer you get from tobacco. Look it up. We have the internet. wanna get laid, go to college. want an education, get on the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm 

bugler wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:

Lung cancer is not the only kind of cancer you get from tobacco. Look it up. We have the internet. wanna get laid, go to college. want an education, get on the internet.

Do you have some evidence that Frank's prostate cancer came from smoking cigarettes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm 

do you have some evidence it didn't?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:37 pm 

From Jerry Garcia's ass to Frank's. At least we have a topic that stays on subject.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:05 pm 

bugler wrote:

No. Nor do I have any evidence that aliens aren't responsible for building Stonehenge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
bugler wrote:

No. Nor do I have any evidence that aliens aren't responsible for building Stonehenge.

There is evidence. Research has been done on this. Being a heavy smoker significantly increases your chances of dying from prostate cancer. This discussion has been had on this forum in detail but I'm not sure how to find it (actually, I was very busy ...).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 pm 

I think that the huge amount of coffee Frank ingested had more to do with it than smoking did but I am sure it didn't help either. That dude smoked like no other person I have seen. I watched him in a symposium for well over and hour and he drank coffee and smoked like no tomorrow. NO wonder he died so young. really sad. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 am 

Maybe an early exam would help, in franks case he blamed a doctor for not catching it, the science say we all have cancer ....just waiting for a trigger. maybe check out Dr. OZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:26 am 

Epic thread that will live FOREVER..... unlike that 4 fingered noodling turd Jerry!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Epic thread that will live FOREVER..... unlike that 4 fingered noodling turd Jerry!!

If Jerry actually did suck, it's doubtful that this thread would have had any life. I'm pretty sure he was better (as a kid) than you will ever be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:55 am 

polydigm wrote:
There is evidence. Research has been done on this. Being a heavy smoker significantly increases your chances of dying from prostate cancer. This discussion has been had on this forum in detail but I'm not sure how to find it (actually, I was very busy ...).

Plus, the daily consumption of a carcinogen for decades probably isn't a positive contribution to your overall health in general (weakened immune system, etc.), so you have an increased risk of cancers unrelated to the lung. Add this to Frank's admitted poor diet (I get the feeling he didn't eat a whole lot of leafy greens), and it doesn't make it too shocking that some kind of cancer got to him.

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Maybe an early exam would help, in franks case he blamed a doctor for not catching it

The thing that gets me is how young he was when he fell ill. Frank said he was feeling unwell as early as the mid-80s, which would have put him in his mid-40s, a pretty young age for prostate cancer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

At least Garcia never dressed up in a punker/metal/hard rocker costume like this.....Nice necklace on the dude in the back, though. He stole it off his mom.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm 

lol ridiculous

if you're such a huge zappa fan, cant you see subjectivity in music? at least the Dead played all their instruments and wrote all their songs and played non stop for their fans and put on great shows

i cant tell you how many raised eyebrows i get telling people i love zappa more than anything as im sure all the rest of you have

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Imagejohnoppel

Hope that is not one of your fans ... you might not like it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next