Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:56 am 

Found a few here in Cincinnasty  :D<br><br>Jamal Anderson – R&B and Rap singer <br>Kendall Bruns – Visual Artist and Musician <br>Daniel Carter Beard – founder Sons of Daniel Boone <br>Bootsy Collins – Parliament Funkadelic funk bass player <br>Ray Combs – host of Family Feud, 1988-1994 <br>Doris Day – popular singer and actress <br>Sid D'Souza – civic activist <br>Carmen Electra, born Tara Leigh Patrick – Actress, Singer <br>Henry Fillmore – march music composer <br>Ken Griffey, Jr. – Major League Baseball player (born in Pennsylvania, but grew up in Cincinnati) <br>Charles Guggenheim – movie director <br>Benjamin Harrison – 23rd President <br>Henry Heimlich – co-developer of the Heimlich maneuver <br>Bill Hemmer – Fox News Channel anchor and correspondent; former CNN anchor and reporter <br>Jeff Immelt – CEO of General Electric <br>David Justice – Major League Baseball <br>Jeremy Kahn – professional street luge athlete. (born in Louisville, but grew up in Cincinnati) <br>Thomas Samuel Kuhn <br>Nick Lachey – lead singer of 98 Degrees, now married to Jessica Simpson (appeared together on the MTV reality show Newlyweds) <br>Barry Larkin – Major League Baseball <br>Samual Leever – Major League Baseball player (born in Suburb of Goshen) <br>Jim Leyritz – Major League Baseball player <br>Lytle family – Longworth family; early leading Cincinnati families <br>[font=Verdana]Charles Manson – murderer [/font]<br>Sonny Moorman – Blues guitarist <br>Sarah Jessica Parker – actress <br>Oscar Robertson – Basketball Hall of Famer <br>Roy Rogers – actor <br>Pete Rose – Major League Baseball <br>[font=Verdana]Jerry Rubin – political activist, Chicago Seven [/font]<br>Albert Sabin – discoverer of oral polio vaccine <br>Kelly Schumacher – WNBA Basketball Player <br>Mamie Smith – blues singer <br>Tony Snow – news commentator <br>Steven Spielberg – movie director <br>Jerry Springer – former mayor of Cincinnati and current talk show host <br>Roger Staubach – Dallas Cowboys football Hall of Famer <br>Gary Stone – Evangelistic Elvis impersonator <br>Harriet Beecher Stowe – author and abolitionist <br>Charles Phelps Taft II – Mayor of Cincinnati from 1955 to 1957 <br>Robert A. Taft – "Mr. Republican" and Senate leader. <br>William Howard Taft – 27th President, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court <br>Mike Tetrault – Blues harmonica player <br>Ted Turner – philanthropist and owner of CNN, the Atlanta Braves, and the Atlanta Hawks. <br>Linda Vester – FOX News Channel <br>Edmund White – author <br>Amy Yasbeck – actress <br>Don Zimmer – Major League Baseball <br><br>Musical Groups<br>Afghan Whigs – rock band <br>Ass Ponys – rock band <br>Black Tie Bombers <br>Blessid Union of Souls – Rock Band <br>Boom Bip – Electronic Musician <br>Crack Heist – hip-hop and techno duo <br>The Culling Song <br>The Deele – Soul Music <br>Ellery – alt-folk band <br>Hi-Tek Rapper and Producer <br>The Isley Brothers – R&B and Soul singers <br>Jake Speed and the Freddies – Bluegrass Folk <br>The Lemon Pipers – Pop Band from the 1960's <br>The Light Wires <br>The Sundresses <br>Midnight Star – Soul Music <br>Oval Opus – Rock Band <br>Over the Rhine – Rock Band <br>The Rumpke Mountain Boys – Bluegrass <br>The Scrubs – Rock Band <br>Vegas In Space – Electronic Hard Rock Band <br>98 Degrees – Boy Band of the '90s <br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:21 am 

Joe Dimaggio,<br><br>also John Muir built his house there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:35 am 

earth wind and fire are from denver, woot  8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am 

Donny Iris.<br>Christina Aguilera.<br>Couple others I can't think of right now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:49 am 

Although he lived in Southampton, Benny Hill the comedian used to be a milkman in Eastleigh, the town where I live. Its about 7 miles from Southampton.<br>Image<br><br>Heinz Burt the bass player from 60's band The Tornadoes (of Telstar fame) also came from here. Image<br><br>Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:04 pm 

I'm answering the question, right? The Bee Gees.

On the plus side: Cold Chisel (Jimmy Barnes, Don Walker, Ian Moss)

(From Adelaide)

Last edited by polydigm on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:58 pm 

Tom Zé, Astrud Gilberto.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:56 pm 

Ah, lemme see...<br><br><br>Silverchair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:36 pm 

Drew Carey. Is he considered famous anymore? My thitrd grade teacher babysat him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:52 pm 
Banned

Fredo_Again wrote:
Drew Carey. Is he considered famous anymore?

He was until he started doing sketch comedy in front of a green screen. :wink:

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Last edited by Isaac on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:28 pm 

Theres a little known band called The Beatles, then we got....The Coral, The La's, The Zutons...(anyone see a worrying trend here...?), The Icicle Works, The Lightning Seeds, The Boo Radleys, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Merseybeats, The Farm (crap band), The Christians (another crap band), Echo and The Bunnymen, Gerry and The Pacemakers (awful), The Hokum Clones, Ladytron, probably loads I have forgotten too....<br><br>As for famous people....the usual idiots, Cilla Black, Jimmy Tarbuck etc...<br> Tom Baker (Dr Who), Kim Catrall (Sex In The City), Daniel Craig (the new James Bond), Les Dennis (hahah), Kenny Everett (now dead comedian), William Gladstone, Ian Hart (actor,played John Lennon in Backbeat), Paul McGann (actor), George Melly,  Derek Nimmo, John Peel, Leonard Rossiter (Rising Damp), Willy Russell, Alexi Sayle, Cathy Tyson.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:48 pm 

three I can think of (one I'm not too proud of<br>New Haven Ct<br><br>1.) the 5 Satins (In the Still of the Night)<br>2.) Eli Whitney (cotton gin fame)<br><br>3.) George W Bush (was born here - went to Yale - please don't hold that against us)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:26 pm 

Nobody from this podunk town became famous.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:40 pm 

[center]Image<br>[/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br>A comedian,band,gameshow host, heavyweight boxer,author,musician, and director. <br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]<br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:23 pm 
Banned

Key West was the birthplace of a basketball player (David Robinson), a football player (George Mira), and a baseball player (Boog Powell), in addition to being home to a few famous non-natives including Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, and Jimmy Buffett.<br><br>I was actually born in New York, but I grew up in Key West.

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:30 pm 

Nobody famous born here, though Chuck Negron (# Dog Night singer) played basketball for Allan Hancock College. Quite a few actors came out of PCPA Theaterfest (Hancock)--Byron Jennings (mainly broadway, but saw him on Law & Order SVU once), Mercedes Ruehl, Mark Harelick, Kathy Bates. Also, that stupid Michael Jackson trial. Also, about 4 scenes from Sideways were filmed here. Other than that, I can't think of much that happened here..........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:55 pm 

Chuck Negron - did so many drugs, he had to go to rehabiliation to relearn how to do some things that part of his brain forgot how to do - now I wanna party with that guy!<br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:22 am 

Jefferson Davis-President Of the Confererate States of America<br><br>Arthur Ashe-Tennis Player<br><br>Bill "Bojangles" Robinson<br><br>Pat Benetar<br><br>Edgar Allen Poe<br><br>Warren Beatty<br><br>Shirley MacLaine<br><br>Mother Maybelle Carter<br><br>Gen Douglas MacArthur<br><br>Freeman Gosder-A white man who was Amos (Kingfish) from Amos & Andy<br><br>Gen. Robert E Lee<br><br>Gen Stonewall Jackson<br><br>Just to name a few<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:33 am 

Well, theres a little known band called The Beatles.....<br><br>aside from them, theres....<br>The La's, The Coral, The Zutons..(anyone notice a worrying trend here..?)..The Icicle Works, The Lightning Seeds, The Boo Radleys, Echo And The Bunnymen, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Merseybeats, The Hokum Clones, Ladytron, Elvis Costello, The Christians (shit 80's group), Frankie Goes To Hollywood (shit 80's group #2), Cast, Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Teardrop Explodes, The Lotus Eaters, Space (shite 90's band), The Farm (shite 90's band #2), Billy Fury,  and probably a load worth mentioning that I forgot, and a load I remembered that aren't worth a mention cos theyre so shite!   8)<br><br>As for famous people, I can think of the usual nobs like Cilla Black (started out as a cloakroom attendant at The Cavern and then started singing and got a record deal thanks to Epstien, even tho she couldnt and still cannae sing), Jimmy Tarbuck (shit comedian), Les Dennis (shit comedian #2), Stan Boardman (shit comedian #3), Ken Dodd and his Diddymen (comedian that grandparents find funny), Alexi Sayle (comedian, mentioned to redeem the history Liverpool seems to have of shite comedians hehe),  Tom Baker (one time Dr Who), Kenny Everett (ball bouncingly funny comedian), Alan Bleasdale (writer), Cheri Blair. Beryl Bainbridge (actress), George Melly, Derek Nimmo (actor), John Peel, Stuart Sutcliffe (ex Beatle), Frankie Sloan (wrestler), Leonard Rossiter (Rigsby from Rising Damp), Craig Charles (Lister from Red Dwarf), Brian Patten (poet), William Gladstone (ex Prime Minister), Kim Catrall (sex in the shitty), Danile Craig (the new James Bond), Clive Barker (author)... ;D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:54 am 

In the lovely hamlet of Ronkonkoma, NY -<br>Moira Kelly grew up here and got married here...<br>And that's all I can say about that.