Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ covers.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:44 am 

I have just found out that the Red Hot Chili Peppers used to cover Inca Roads at live performances (http://www.redhotchilipeppers.com/disco ... overs.html). I was wondering if anyone else here knew of other bands who have covered FZ songs live or on an album.

Post subject: Re: FZ covers.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:05 am 

Sting covered "Idiot Bastard Son". I think I read it in the Keneally website that he asked for the transcriptions with a letter signed as "Mr. Sting". He played it live and then recorded it in an EP, if I remember correctly. I haven't heard it.<br><br>I also read in the net that Duran Duran (with Warren Cuccurullo) opened their show the day after FZ died with "Watermelon in Easter Hay". Could have made me cry.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:04 pm 

Saw G3 (Joe Satriani/Eric Johnson/Adrian Legg)in Birmingham a few years ago and they finished with "My Guitar wants to kill your Mama".It's also on the G3 CD (with Steve Vai playing).Think I'm correct in thinking Mike Kenneally sang it . Pretty good version it was too!!<br> ;)<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:03 pm 

There's another thread with this topic but a partial listing from that had Pygmy Twylyte-Gov't Mule, Chunga's Revenge-Gotan Project and Trouble Every Day-George Thorogood.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:53 am 

Eugene Chadbourne does a "Zappa Medley" on his Camper Van Chadbourne album. It's in free form country & western style! Elsewhere on the same album, and in the same style is Floyd's Careful with that Axe, Eugene, and King Crimson's I Talk to the Wind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:35 am 

I think there are too much to note...<br>A few ones:<br>- David Kikoski - surf's up - covers 'Oh No'<br>- The Rudy Schwartz Project - don't get charred, get puffy - covers 'The Black Page'<br>- die ärtze - alles über sex - covers 'stick it out' & 'what's the ugliest part of your body'<br>- ...<br><br>http://www.united-mutations.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:34 am 

I like the Covers of Invention idea, very cool. <br>Also I am soon going to purchase the G3 album as I am a Vai/Satriani fan. I have found a video of a G3 gig where they're plating My Guitar... but you can't hear Vai's solo (AAARRRGGGHHHHHH).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:54 pm 

SNL used FZ's music for a parody comercial for Denture-Grip.  <br><br>Had some old guy playing guitar with his teeth with the backwards guitar riff from Are you Hung Up?, playing in the background. <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:01 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=0#4 date=01/12/03 at 18:36:43]<br>There's an MPEG on KaZaa that is a clip from a Chili Peppers show, / He's playing Inca on his guitar while singing it,[/quote]<br><br>What's the name of that MPEG clip?<br><br>I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:50 am 

Forgot to mention:<br>> Every year there is a Zappanale in Germany, with tribute cover bands & Zappa'like music.  They have every year a new Zappanale-sampler with coverversions of Zappa.  They are on the 12th edition.<br>> In Spain, there is a sort like sampler with Zappa coverversions.  It's called Unmatched. There are now 4 editions of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:20 pm 

I too burned my own CD I titled Covers, Rarites, and Oddballs Vol. 1<br>It begins with a Vai Sofa #1 and ends with Michael Hedges Sofa #1 It has the sting Idoit Bastard son and includes the Beatle stuff from 88', someSNL stuff and Van Morrisons Dead Girls of London. I also put on The Dregs Inca and Adian Belews Hendrix tribute. it is almost 80 min. I happened to be at the "Mr. Sting" show in Chicago and I would love to get a boot of the whole show.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:46 pm 

[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=0#4 date=01/12/03 at 18:36:43]<br>There's an MPEG on KaZaa that is a clip from a Chili Peppers show, where Frusciate is goofing between songs. He's playing Inca on his guitar while singing it, and the few - - very few - - people in the audience who know the song are clapping. So, at least they played around with it sometimes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I finaly found it!<br><br>[move][glow=red,2,300] ;D          ;D         ;D          ;D         ;D          ;D          ;D        [/glow][/move]<br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:27 pm 

I know that no one is gonna ever read this, because it is at the end of a thread that hasn't been updated in 12 days.  (i'll just post it some where else, he he he)<br><br>I heard a guy called Pierre Moerlen, play The little House I used to live in.<br><br>and it was fucking cool! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:27 pm 

[quote author=Butch link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=15#16 date=02/01/03 at 23:27:19]I know that no one is gonna ever read this, because it is at the end of a thread that hasn't been updated in 12 days.  (i'll just post it some where else, he he he)<br><br>I heard a guy called Pierre Moerlen, play The little House I used to live in.<br><br>and it was fucking cool! ;)[/quote]<br><br>It's the Gong guy, isn't it? I think I heard this version - it sounded a bit amateurish to me, but it's just my opinion  ;)<br>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:58 pm 

[quote author=djmdavid link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=15#17 date=02/02/03 at 01:27:53]<br><br>It's the Gong guy, isn't it? I think I heard this version - it sounded a bit amateurish to me, but it's just my opinion  ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, it was a bit too happy and musac-y.  I thought it was a cool Zappa cover though and have never heard this guy before.<br><br>It's just cool that somebody read this. :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:13 pm 

[quote author=white person link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=15#19 date=02/02/03 at 20:02:24]Moerlen was swell as long as Daevid was guiding the flying teapot. Otherwise, zzzzz! OK, Gazeuse was kinda cool. Just my opinion - don't mind me.[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, just imagine Soft Machine (III-IV period) covering something like 'Big Swifty' - pheeeeew... Well, they were MIGHTY without FZ covers anyway. What a band! Even less appreciated than FZ.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:19 pm 

The Fall did a version of I'm Not Satisfied on their Cerebral Caustic album.<br><br>Ensemble Ambrosius did a "Zappa Album" that's well worth checking out too. Baroque versions of Zappa tunes - yes yes!<br><br><br><br>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:58 pm 

Niacin - Image

Billy Sheehan - Bass
John Novello - Hammond B3, Piano, Rhodes
Dennis Chambers - Drums

Thumpass power trio doing .. :shock: King :shock: Kong .. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 pm 

Butch wrote:
[quote author=djmdavid link=board=rant;num=1042400676;start=15#17 date=02/02/03 at 01:27:53]<br><br>It's the Gong guy, isn't it? I think I heard this version - it sounded a bit amateurish to me, but it's just my opinion �;)<br>
<br><br>Yeah, it was a bit too happy and musac-y.  I thought it was a cool Zappa cover though and have never heard this guy before.<br><br>It's just cool that somebody read this. :P[/quote]

I have that Moerlen/Gong recording on tape somewhere. I got to interview him over the phone for Expose' magazine once. Great percussionist! Gazeuse is a fantastic album, one of the few "fusion" albums I really love.

Here's an FZ cover you may not have heard. The American band called "moe." played San Ber'dino in concert a few times. One time they played it as an encore at my request! Great band... I lost touch with em years ago though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:13 am 

Saw them in somerville, ma a few years back. between sets, belew did some acoustic stuff, and if memory serves me correctly... city of tiny lights was one of them. lucky me, got to meet the band, and got pictures to prove it!