Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:35 am 

The Division Bell was not a bad album (better than Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Final Cut) but I have to ask who would want to spend over a 100 bucks on a 7CD Deluxe Edition of this album?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Division-Bell ... roduct_top

I know that Gilmour owns the Pink Floyd name but I had thought that he & Waters had reconciled so instead of wasting time on this vanity project it's a shame there can't at least be 'Experience' releases of Meddle, Animals and yes Atom Heart Mother? (which the band members have trashed but which I think is much better than The Division Bell). And I've been waiting forever for some sort of BBC sessions release from their pre-DSOTM era.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:41 pm 

CityHallFred wrote:
7CD Deluxe Edition

It's even more pointless than that: it's one CD, one blu-ray audio disc, and the other five discs are vinyl. So you're paying for mostly the same material repeated in multiple formats.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:02 pm 

Can someone explain to me how it's possible to take pink floyd seriously at this point?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:37 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Can someone explain to me how it's possible to take pink floyd seriously at this point?

You really, really, really like their music?

Ha ha, nah, I can't figure it out either.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

You really, really, really like their music?

Ha ha, nah, I can't figure it out either.

It's the drugs man. You guys just aren't tuned in. :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:

You're 30+ years too late. The Wall was such a pretentious, overwrought piece of crap that I gave away my copy of it, passed on a couple chances to see it live, and never watched the movie. After that I never had the slightest interest in Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, or David Gilmour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:18 am 

I used to like Pink Floyd a lot in high school (when you're supposed to, I suppose). The Wall was supposedly a masterpiece, upon realizing years later that there's not much good music on it compared to other albums.

And, if you have to yourself a non-interrupted 45 mins, The Final Cut is a great album.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:57 am 

I still enjoy the pre Wall albums from time to time. "Wish you Were Here" and "Dark Side of the Moon" are masterpieces. When The Wall came out I was young and pretentious and dismissed it as "pop". Today it is slightly better than I thought at the time, but not much. I do regret though that I didn't went and saw Waters perform it last year. Just to have seen it. Anything after that album I haven't heard properly (except unintentionally). I went and heard a snippet of the last album with Waters in a record store (those were the days) being not very open minded after The Wall, and I quickly decided I would not pay for hearing a grown-up man cry.

But the old albums are great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 pm 

The Wall is a great production with plenty of good music in it (not 100% of it, I concede), with a great concept behind it and a bold way to bring it alive in different media, album, show and movie... Just wait for the Broadway show. It will have fairies on strings :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:43 pm 

If popular longevity is a measure of success, PF has got it hands down. You can't turn on the radio these days and not hear them almost all day long (along with Zeppelin), even the better stations. Inexplicably, they stand the test of time. A lot of people really love that stuff for some fucking reason.

Me? Not a bit. I liked some of the pre-Darkside albums. But even those have been tainted by the drivel that followed.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: Re: pink floyd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:53 pm 

stopped listening to pink floyd after wish you were here. (never liked anything that came after).

favorite album? meddle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
You can't turn on the radio these days and not hear them almost all day long (along with Zeppelin),

That's straight up "payola", although they don't call it that anymore. Now the same corporations own the record label and the radio station so they don't have to make secret, under the table payments to get those songs on the radio. Basically, this shit is more or less being forced down people's throats (for 4 decades). Meanwhile, where's Zappa on the airwaves? No,no,no, must hear Money again. And edit the "bullshit" lyric.

That being said: I know their music well. They were good in the 60s and 70s but the members have been coasting for 30+ years. Frank Zappa never coasted, even as he was dying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
You can't turn on the radio these days and not hear them almost all day long (along with Zeppelin),

That's straight up "payola", although they don't call it that anymore. Now the same corporations own the record label and the radio station so they don't have to make secret, under the table payments to get those songs on the radio. Basically, this shit is more or less being forced down people's throats (for 4 decades). Meanwhile, where's Zappa on the airwaves? No,no,no, must hear Money again. And edit the "bullshit" lyric.

That being said: I know their music well. They were good in the 60s and 70s but the members have been coasting for 30+ years. Frank Zappa never coasted, even as he was dying.

It's easier to believe that record companies are part of a conspiracy to pay out money to get people to listen to the shit they want to sell, than it is to believe that they are raking in money because people are simple minded and would rather keep spending money on the same old crap? Ever heard of Occam's Razor? How many people do you know that change the types of music they like to listen to and buy over the entire course of their lives? I'm not denying that record companies do try hard to promote certain types of music because it makes them money, (and those aren't secret under the table payments, they are out in the open, the 70s are over) but they are not so in love with Led Zepplin that they are willing to overspend more than the people are willing to put into it in the first place. People like simple, fun, rock music. People are simple. Companies sell what people want to buy, just like the news sells what people want to hear. If the music on the radio "sucks", and the news is politically biased, and sports players get payed a shit load of money, it is because the people want it that way. They speak with their pocketbooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:57 pm 

The Division Bell is one of my favourite Pink Floyd albums. It sure beats the shit out of ANY Roger Waters solo album. Especially since it showcases the hugely underrated Richard Wright - he wrote nearly half the album's music.

I'm glad this album is getting the deluxe treatment it deserves...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 pm 

duchamp wrote:
It's easier to believe that record companies are part of a conspiracy to pay out money to get people to listen to the shit they want to sell, than it is to believe that they are raking in money because people are simple minded and would rather keep spending money on the same old crap? Ever heard of Occam's Razor? How many people do you know that change the types of music they like to listen to and buy over the entire course of their lives? I'm not denying that record companies do try hard to promote certain types of music because it makes them money, (and those aren't secret under the table payments, they are out in the open, the 70s are over) but they are not so in love with Led Zepplin that they are willing to overspend more than the people are willing to put into it in the first place. People like simple, fun, rock music. People are simple. Companies sell what people want to buy, just like the news sells what people want to hear. If the music on the radio "sucks", and the news is politically biased, and sports players get payed a shit load of money, it is because the people want it that way. They speak with their pocketbooks.

If radio played Zappa every day instead of Zeppelin I bet record sales would reflect that. I bet Zappa could have sold millions and Zep would have sold like Zappa. They bury one and bring forth another. Radio deliberately dumbs you down. It's not as if you had a choice back in the 70s when all of this "classic" rock nonsense began. 40 years of The Eagles? Replace One Of These Nights with Cosmic Slop. Who wins? If you heard Funkadelic on top 40 radio everyday in the 70s I seriously doubt the Bee Gees would have cut it. People remember hearing a song a million times so they think it's great. It's exposure to product that gets people hooked. To music, to coke a cola, to heroin, to whatever. If you're exposed to the source you won't want the clone. If you're exposed to the premium quality you will not accept inferior garbage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 am 

I too lost all interest in PF after the Animals album and tour...I was at the Olympic Stadium spectacle in Montreal (total utter rippoff). Still enjoy listening to Wish you were here. Even caught a remix of Breathe by Belew that you could tap your foot to.
You can make up your own mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR97LwImb6o.

As for thinking that if Zappa music had more access to radio more fans would exist, I for one don't buy into that. Zappa music is just too involved for the average listener.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 am 

Love the Floyd...but not enough to spend that kind of money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:02 am 

I don't care for any PF after The Wall, which I saw in the theaters when it came out. After that, various albums like The Final Cut had a few nice things here and there but none of it was anywhere near as good as any of the previous PF albums. I'm not a fan of DG or RW solo careers either. I haven't heard much that was worthwhile from anyone in this band since 1979. I wouldn't cough up the big bucks for their remastered classics, but I'd check em out if someone I knew had them. Most of them were mastered pretty well in their original state, so its not like I need a new version of any of them. Putting up big bucks for The Division Bell though - not a chance in the world. I have no idea why anyone except a rabid completest would.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:20 pm 

...not better than....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:20 pm 

I recently had my first "funny jazz cigarette" in about a year, and also happened to put on a Pink Floyd compilation I had made a few years back. This compilation was mostly music from their 1960's film soundtracks (More, La vallée, Zabriskie Point). I never tire of this period of Pink Floyd. Like others of you, "The Wall" never held much interest for me. For me, Pink Floyd ended with "Animals".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:11 pm 

First -so called- Pink Floyd album in 20 years "The Endless River" (originally titled The Big Spliff) due out this October.

http://www.people.com/article/new-pink-floyd-album-endless-river-october

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
And, if you have to yourself a non-interrupted 45 mins, The Final Cut is a great album.

I too enjoy The Final Cut. Some great music on that album. I think the concept was too heavy for a lot of people, plus it's almost like a Waters' solo album in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

I too enjoy The Final Cut. Some great music on that album. I think the concept was too heavy for a lot of people, plus it's almost like a Waters' solo album in my opinion.

For me the Final Cut is in the wrist slitter category, If I wasn't depressed before a listen, I'm certainly in a dark place afterwards....I do like The Floyd having seen the original group, then the Gilmore version, lapse of reason tour and the Waters version(s), dark side tour and the wall tour.....still among the few live acts I'm prepared to travel to see

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:04 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

For me the Final Cut is in the wrist slitter category, If I wasn't depressed before a listen, I'm certainly in a dark place afterwards....I do like The Floyd having seen the original group, then the Gilmore version, lapse of reason tour and the Waters version(s), dark side tour and the wall tour.....still among the few live acts I'm prepared to travel to see

I don't really find The Final Cut any more depressing than Animals. They are both in that wrist slitter category.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:04 am 

The Final Cut came out around the time my life was a bit of a shambles to say the least. I suspect that the music leaves me in a black mood because that album was the sound track to some pretty dire events, I listened to it tonight when I got home, maybe it's worn off, I feel mildly depressed but thats normal.....Animals, I like Animals a lot....good headphone album