Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:56 pm 

Well, I meant mine, obviously - but you knew that...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:16 pm 

Did you see that? Talk about a fucking infraction of civil liberties! I try and make the world a better one by giving it an important religious message in my signature, and YABBC turns a 8) into a fucking smiley! Disabled you now, sucker!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 pm 

Oh, war, is it? How about (Exodus 34: 8 ), then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:11 am 

[quote author=Flatulus link=board=rant;num=1134307375;start=135#149 date=02/04/06 at 20:04:51]<br><br>Perhaps we should investigate the more practical uses of the moustache, rather than just concentrating on its aesthetic embellishment of the beauty of the male body?[/quote]<br><br>I agree. But I've been thinking very hard about it, and have found that I don't have a talent for discovering practical uses of the moustache. To me, the most sentral aspect of moustachism is that you must have a moustache. You will be punished if you don't have one. <br><br>But if somebody can suggest ways to use moustaches practically, I'll investigate everything to find out whether or not they work for me.<br><br>Now: Today, the Culture Minister of Norway, Trond Giske, answered questions on the Dagbladet website. (Dagbladet is a well known newspaper in Norway).<br><br>I asked him the following question (bad translation):<br><br>Do you agree that "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" should be taught to everybody in school? And that it is extremely important to have a moustache?<br><br>The Minister answered: <br>As a trønder [person from Trøndelag - in Norway, it is a common perseption that trønders have moustaches], I should probably be pro-moustache... Zappa should be taught to anyone that's going to learn about music in school, but one should perhaps be careful with Bobby Brown for the youngest :-) <br><br>The translation is horrible, so for those of you who understand Norwegian, I'll also post the original q & a:<br><br>Zappa og bart<br>Er du enig i at låten "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" av Frank Zappa bør være pensum for norske ungdomsskoleelever OG at det er ekstremt viktig å ha bart?<br>Innsendt av: prdm <br><br>Hei! Som trønder burde jeg jo selvsagt være for bart... Zappa burde være pensum for alle som skal lære noe om musikk i skolen, men Bobby Brown skal man kanskje være litt forsiktig med hos de aller yngste.... :-) Hilsen Trond<br><br>What do you think? I think he hates moustaches and that he don't know shit about Zappa (except Bobby Brown). I think he's a antibartist! An enemy of God!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:33 am 

Image<br><br>From the www.iol.co.za website: <br><br>Saddam trial keeps TV viewers in stitches<br> <br><br>By Hamza Hendawi<br><br>Baghdad, Iraq - It's supposed to be a serious affair, but after three months and 12 hearings, the Saddam Hussein trial has become like a TV sitcom steeped in Iraqi pop culture and local vernacular.<br><br>Interest in the trial has spiked since a new tough chief judge, Raouf Abdel-Rahman, took over last month and cracked down on the chaos that had marked the early hearings, which began October 19.<br><br>Saddam and Barzan Ibrahim, his half brother and co-defendant, try their best to unsettle the stern new judge, using tactics from insulting his non-existent moustache to showing up in long underwear.<br><br>Proceedings are broadcast on state television with a 20-minute delay. Many Iraqis who cannot follow the hearings during business hours watch in the evenings on satellite stations, some of which show the day's full hearing.<br><br>Perceptions of the trial among Iraqis depend in large part on their sectarian affiliations.<br><br>Many Shi'a, long oppressed by Saddam's Sunni Arab-dominated regime, believe the ex-president's execution is already overdue. To many Sunni Arabs, Saddam and his seven co-defendants are persecuted men.<br><br>Yet, Iraqis are united over one thing - the trial's entertainment value.<br><br>"The toughness of the new judge has turned the whole thing into a farce," said Ismail Ibrahim, a 45-year-old Sunni engineer who watches the hearings at work. "It's funny."<br><br>Hatem Abbas Khalaf, a health worker from the holy Shiite city of Karbala, said he finds the whole affair "entertaining."<br><br>"It makes me gloat over the predicament of Saddam and his associates," he said.<br><br>Saddam's daughter even chipped in with her own critique of what goes on in the courtroom.<br><br>"This judge Raouf is the strangest cartoon character I have ever seen in my life," Raghad Saddam Hussein has told Al Arabiya television on Tuesday from Amman, Jordan.<br><br>Over two sessions Monday and Tuesday, Saddam and Ibrahim dominated the proceedings with some vintage courtroom theatrics. But in a series of instances, they appeared to break new ground.<br><br>"May your moustache be cursed," Saddam shouted at Abdel-Rahman.<br><br>It's a great insult among Iraq's Arab majority to curse a man's moustache, considered to be a symbol of honour among adult males. Abdel-Rahman is a Kurd and sports no moustache.<br><br>In another exchange, Abdel-Rahman tried to restore order on Tuesday by banging his gavel.<br><br>"Hit your own head with that gavel," shouted Saddam, who insisted on addressing the court while seated, ignoring the judge's angry protests.<br><br>Ibrahim, Saddam's one-time intelligence chief, told Abdel-Rahman on Monday that he missed the judge's predecessor, Rizqar Mohammed Amin, another Kurd who stepped down in January amid charges that he did not do enough to rein in Saddam and Ibrahim.<br><br>"I will write a letter to judge Rizqar thanking him," Ibrahim told Abdel-Rahman.<br><br>"'Afiyah', Rizqar," said Saddam, using the Iraqi Arabic slang for "bravo," a word Saddam often used to praise his officers before the 2003 US-led invasion.<br><br>Saddam, Ibrahim and the other six defendants are on trial for the killing of nearly 150 Shi'a after the former president survived an assassination attempt in 1982 in the mainly Shi'a town of Dujail north of Baghdad. The eight face death by hanging if convicted.<br><br>Ibrahim, who once enjoyed a reputation as a womaniser, was by far the more provocative in this week's sessions.<br><br>This week, he showed up in his long underwear to protest Abdel-Rahman's handling of the hearings. He sat on the floor of the defendants' pen with his back to the judges for most of Monday's hearing.<br><br>On Tuesday, he scolded the judge for ordering him to be quiet.<br><br>"Don't tell me to shut up with this hand gesture," Ibrahim snapped. "I am a person like you, if not even better."<br><br>He insisted on calling a witness "comrade" - the title used by members of Saddam's Baath party.<br><br>"Don't call him comrade. Call him witness number one," Abdel-Rahman said.<br><br>"You call him what you like and I call him what I like," Ibrahim replied.<br><br>Later, Ibrahim suggested to Abdel-Rahman that many of his tribunal's employees worked for the intelligence agency which Saddam's half brother once headed.<br><br>"I just want to explain to you a few things so you can calm down and help yourself," Ibrahim told the judge.<br><br>"This court is calm," Abdel-Rahman replied.<br><br>The most bizarre moment of Tuesday's hearing came when Ibrahim briefly abandoned his native Arabic and began to speak in English, explaining the location of his detention facility.<br><br>"I don't understand English, please speak to me in Arabic," said a perplexed Abdel-Rahman. - Sapa-AP <br><br>---<br><br>According to an article on The Guardian's website, another associate of Saddam Hussein, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, shouted "Curse be upon your moustache!" at Kuwait's minister of state for foreign affairs during a meeting with the Organisation of the Islamic Conference in Qatar. <br><br>In that article, it is explained that "Curse be upon your moustache!" is an idiomatic phrase "impugning the minister's honour."<br><br>This is absolutely great, and I would be eternally happy if all other languages adopted this idiom.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 am 

[quote author=dkaplowitz link=board=rant;num=1134307375;start=15#29 date=12/11/05 at 16:34:39]<br>I would expect this type of reply from a moustache wearing member of a family of war criminals. Just b/c your family escaped to Canada doesn't mean they're no longer war criminals and that they shouldn't be brought to justice!<br><br>Beware the boys from Brazil with blue eyes!<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>??? You mean, like the novel/film, or like the country itself?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:18 pm 

[quote author=Flatulus link=board=rant;num=1134307375;start=120#132 date=01/14/06 at 21:32:31]<br>Some threads make me want to bare my arse[sup]1[/sup], but this one encourages me to bare my soul. It is so important (hence the name of this thread) and so fundamental to the very process of being Male ... excepting certain females like my eldest sister, who is a born-again Christian and therefore (as a direct consequence) sports an ecumenical moustache.<br><br>My True Admission is this: the very day I spotted even the vaguest hint of hair sprouting from my upper lip area, I immediately borrowed a tube of mascara from my other sister's purse and carefully applied that well-laden brush to those golden, silky hairs. Just to help that pathetic thing along a little and to make it visible. In my experience, the over-riding obsession of Wo-man is to rid herself completely of all body hair; whereas Man - He-Man, Virile-Man, made as Nature and the good (hairy) Lord intended Man, does everything in his power to shun the scissor and to ban the blade so as to attain his pre-destined, hirsute natural state.<br><br>[sup]1[/sup] And don't get me wrong here - I am full of admiration in most ways. BUT: the United States of America is unforgiveably guilty of two major crimes against humanity. (1) Its limp-wristed pronunciation of "ass" - just wuss, wuss, wuss compared to the glorious-sounding, 'r'-rolling, and infinitely more satisfying "ARSE"! (2) Its unconscionable (and should have been punishable by death) MURDER of Winnie-the-Pooh. Fuck You, Disney! Fuck You, Wart, for taking an irreplaceable chunk of our green & pleasant land and just totally nuking one of the most important works of English Literature. The only suitable reparation I can see to atone for this War Crime is for a government-sponsored mass book-burning of "Tom Sawyer", followed by enforced under-11 viewing of a replacement English cartoon production throughout the USA. "What-ho, Tom!", Huck will say in the first scene, "Put down that bally whitewash brush, old chap! Let's go for a fortifying cup of tea with jam scones and Cornish cream, followed by lashings of warm ginger beer and a simply super game of cricket!" See how you'd fucking like it ... <br>[/quote]WOW! That sentencing doesn't even let us lowly, non-yuppster Bostonians and Eastern New Englanders who very often say "ARSE off the hook because it comes out as "AHSS" without that critically important "R" in it! (OK, merciless as all the above mutilation and torture is, we'll take our just deserts -- but please don't ticket any of those cahs pahked in or near Hahvud Yahd! Those tix get really 'spensive! ::) )<br><br>--Batchain ;D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:38 pm 

[quote author=BatchainPartIV link=board=rant;num=1134307375;start=150#157 date=02/16/06 at 14:18:46]...(OK, merciless as all the above mutilation and torture is, we'll take our just deserts -- but please don't ticket any of those cahs pahked in or near Hahvud Yahd! Those tix get really 'spensive! ::) )[/quote]<br> ;D  Rrrrrrrrrrock 'n' Rrrrrrrrrroll, Bat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:32 pm 

Check out this website: habart.org

It´s brand new. That´s why there is so little to read yet, but I think it will become a entertaining little site eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:54 pm 

I have to have a moustache. My wife thinks I look younger without it. Or less dignified or some shit like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:39 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I have to have a moustache. My wife thinks I look younger without it. Or less dignified or some shit like that.

Hm... a typical example of Antibartistic innuendo. Moustache is the Nigger of the World.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 am 

peerdiem wrote:
Check out this website: habart.org

It´s brand new. That´s why there is so little to read yet, but I think it will become a entertaining little site eventually.

Hahaha, you nutter! I'll contribute to that one soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:10 pm 

peerdiem wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Hm... a typical example of Antibartistic innuendo. Moustache is the Nigger of the World.

Yes, sometimes I feel like parmesan non gratin.

What the fuck did you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:27 am 

Flatulus wrote:
Hahaha, you nutter! I'll contribute to that one soon...

Great! Looking forward to that. bart@habart.org

calvin2hikers wrote:

Yes, sometimes I feel like parmesan non gratin.

What the fuck did you say?

It´s a good thing ostmosis (ost meaning cheeze in Norwegian) is not impossible to cure anymore...

What did I say? Something bad? Or did I dream it..?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:39 am 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:19 pm 

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:34 am 

Look at you with your twirly tache! An elementary dear Milton! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Heh heh, I'm on a crusade to bring back the fashions of the 1880s. Now, where did I put my monicle :?: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:20 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Heh heh, I'm on a crusade to bring back the fashions of the 1880s. Now, where did I put my monicle :?: 8)

Excellent! You should have thousands of pictures taken. Some of them should be modified, so that they look more demonic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:58 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:49 pm 

Wow, Milt! Without wanting to sound overtly gay, may I just say that not only is that a fine moustache you have there, but great eyebrows too! Very expressive, old bean! Mine just lie there - all soporific - no matter if I pull funny faces, I just can't get 'em to crinkle and dance. This reminds me of the British actor Roger Moore, who famously believes that the art of "good acting" is to wriggle your eyebrows a lot.

And just a suggestion, peerdiem, but how about a study of eyebrows - which are essentially upside-down eye moustaches? On your site, you could include a series of upside-down faces of those men (and, indeed - why not women too?) who are blessed with particularly fine specimens. Here, for example, is a pic of the glamourous British Labour politician, Dennis Healey - who never publicly sported a mouth moustache, but is renowned for his fine eye embellishments:

"Put the eyebrows on it," said Frank, and Dennis certainly did...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:37 pm 

dkaplowitz wrote:

morgan spurlock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:39 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

if a picture means a thousand words a hundred of those word be synonyms for gay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:43 pm 

i call it "confusion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:05 pm 

Flatulus wrote:
Wow, Milt! Without wanting to sound overtly gay, may I just say that not only is that a fine moustache you have there, but great eyebrows too! Very expressive, old bean! Mine just lie there - all soporific - no matter if I pull funny faces, I just can't get 'em to crinkle and dance. This reminds me of the British actor Roger Moore, who famously believes that the art of "good acting" is to wriggle your eyebrows a lot.

Thanks for the kind words, Farty, & also to Perdiem and Aspy. Looks like I'll be keeping my cookie duster for a while, at least until I can come up with another variation on the facial hair theme. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next