Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Audition Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:23 am 

That should be one of the most odd one:<br><br>Eddie Jobson:<br><br>(...)"Black Napkins"was my audition track. I went <br><br>on tour with Zappa when I was still with Roxy Music. Frank flew me to Canada, and I <br><br>went around with him on tour in Canada after Roxy tour. I used to play in the <br><br>dressing room with Frank and Norma Bell, saxophone player. One night I was playing <br><br>in the dressing room little bit. I think it was Montreal...no, it was Hamilton, Ontario. <br><br>He just said, "I want you to come on the stage tonight."from the dressing room. <br><br>I was just like traveling around with him, but he wanted me to play on the stage. <br><br>I was completely unprepared and had no idea of what was going on the stage. It was <br><br>like 5 minutes before the concert started. So I had to go on the stage with the violin. <br><br>He played this "Black Napkins,"which he wrote on this tour, and that was my <br><br>audition in front of 10,000 people. He pointed me, and I had to do solo over <br><br>"Black Napkins."Then he did something else, and he sent the keyboard player off <br><br>the stage, put me on the keyboard, and he did some other songs. I forget what we <br><br>did....and again that was like part of my audition. He just pointed like solo, you know. <br><br>I was playing this guy's keyboard, and I didn't even know how it worked. I tried to read <br><br>the knobs and expressive devices because he had a synthesizer that I didn't even <br><br>know...old Roland synthesizer, and it had a Hammond organ on it. I was just trying <br><br>to read the synthesizer.<br><br><br>Art Rock: On the stage?<br><br><br>Jobson: On the stage! This is my live audition, and next night I think I played again <br><br>with him in Montreal. So even though I played on that track then, this particular <br><br>recording was from different recordings from live concerts with Terry, and Frank <br><br>overdubbed it in the studio. So I ended up I am not on it. That's just what happened. <br><br><br>Art Rock (interviwer): That was a very interesting story. (...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:54 am 

Mr_Green_Genes kindly posted a shorter story about Allan Zavod's audition. I met this summer Allan and we had a lenghty talk. (I plan to post the full story somewhere.) This here is the audition part.<br><br>"His name was Chase who called me. He was the road manager for Jean Luc Ponty when I first joined Jean Luc Ponty. They had a few managers but he was the first one. I was out of Ponty for eight years and I hadn’t seen Chase for maybe six years. And I don’t know how he found me, but I was in Arizona, I’d just come back from the Grand Canyon, with my father. My father came to visit me in the US; he said we’d go for a holiday. My girlfriend lived in Phoenix, Arizona. So my father and I went to Phoenix, put our bags down, took the car and went to the Grand Canyon, just the two of us. Then we got back, got into bed, we were tired after three or four days of traveling and the phone rang. <br><br>How did this man find me? It’s eight o’clock at night and he says: Frank’s looking for a keyboard player and I know you’re the guy. You’re the guy, you’re the right person! Get to L.A.! Here’s Frank’s number. So I called Frank. He gets on the phone right away. He knew who I was because I’d been with Jean Luc Ponty, he’d followed my career. I didn’t know that. So he gets to the phone and he says: Can you come now to L.A.? <br><br>In those days (it was in ’84) the airlines only flew till 7.30, now they fly in each hour. I was an eight hour drive away from L.A. so I said: I can’t fly but I have a car, I’m gonna get there for two o’clock, why don’t we do it tomorrow? He said: no, no, come now. OK, then. <br><br>Nine o’clock I’m on the road with my father, we’re driving and about twelve o’clock we’re still not there, so I called Frank again and I said : Look, I wanna be good for the audition, I’d be so tired, maybe we’d do it tomorrow. No, come now, you have to come now. Don’t worry if you’re tired, I understand. So I get into car and I said to my father: Dad, I have to get some sleep, you have to drive. My father had never driven in America. So, he’s driving on the freeways of L.A. and I’m sleeping, I got a one hour sleep, which was good. <br><br>We got there three o’clock in the morning, Frank was there, the whole band was there because they said this guy must be good, if the boss is stayin’, we’re gonna stay, we’re gonna check this guy out. Some of them knew me anyway. I had my father with me so it looked good, you know, good family upbringing, Frank was a big family man. <br><br>And he puts the most impossible music – Drowning Witch - can’t read it, he was making a joke. I tried. He took the music and said I can see you can read and then he said: we’ll play. So we just played a couple of chords. I was playing with everything I’ve got and he liked that. I could see they were all smiling and he was looking and smiling at his band so I got more confident and then he played and I accompanied him. Then he stops the band and he says: Excuse me, he says, can you hear me? Very rude. He was just testing — can I take his personality, will I fit into his band? He’s already made up his mind, but he wanted to test me, checking out my vibe. So I said nicely, yes I can hear you very well. He says you’re playing too many notes. So I played beautifully. So now he knew he could give me orders and that I could understand them and that I was strong, so he could rely on me to give him information. He wanted me to give him ideas, too. Frank Zappa was very strong but he always looked for others too around him for ideas. He wanted to bring out the best in everybody and sometimes on the tour I’d play something and he’d say listen to this idea or some other. He would always go for the challenge. <br><br>Anyway, so we played and he said: OK, we’d like to have you." <br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:17 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=rant;num=1070497024;start=15#27 date=01/03/04 at 06:11:18]read a lot more about FZ on: http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_complete_ ... /index.htm[/quote]<br><br>Hey this link is interesting because it provides a look into some circusmtances aroum Mark Pinske's own audition...<br><br>Thanks Sebastiaan and thanks Woof, keep contributing please!<br><br>Arf<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:56 am 

Bob Harris:<br><br>IB: Tell me about your audition for Frank.<br><br>Bob Harris: I was finishing up a tour with Warren Zevon, and we were back home in LA doing a 7-night stand at the Roxy that became the live album called ‘Stand in the Fire’. Mark Pinske (a long-time friend, band mate, matchmaker of Suzannah and I, and probably the one guy who knows more about Frank than just about anybody) called in the middle of the week and asked if I'd be into coming up to Frank's place to do some falsetto parts that Ike and Ray weren't comfortable doing – you know, fear of hernia. So I went up there (Thana waited in the car), walked in, Frank stuck out his hand and we shook on it. Frank had the coolest way of extending his hand for a handshake: just right out there in front – and what's really stuck with me through the years is that it was the same handshake for everyone. How many times have I seen, and probably done the same thing where, depending on how well you know someone etc., that it's a different kind of handshake. Frank would engage you from the start; you always started with a clean slate with Frank. He told Mark to play some of a track and told me that he wanted some doowappy kind of falsetto stuff in-between the melody. I said, “OK,” then he said “OK, there's a mike out there – go do it.” Some people strengthen you, some people the opposite – Frank was a joy from the start. In the short time that it took, he knew when to push, when to lay back and give you a little time to think. Frank was a fun amplifier. So we finished with what I learned during the recording of it, was called ‘Fine Girl’ – that was my audition.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:18 am 

Not to be off topic here, I just got Uncle Meat and its brillant! Good god I've missed out on a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:38 am 

[quote author=Bonzo link=board=rant;num=1070497024;start=30#30 date=01/09/04 at 10:18:29]Not to be off topic here, I just got Uncle Meat and its brillant! Good god I've missed out on a lot. [/quote]<br><br>It's not that far off-topic, since it discusses how Ian got in the band.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:22 am 

David Lougeman ladies and gentleman:<br><br> the fz audition was incredible. "do you have big ears? can you read? can you play rock?". that was what he wanted. first question involved the band playing a groove in 7/8-3/16 and then fz handing you the sticks and saying--play!  wow! the reading was tough, but i had played alot of rock. he asked me back 4 times and after 54 guys, hired me, much to my surprise. the tours were a gas. private plane in europe. rotating venues with led zepplin, the rolling stones, and bob marley with frank out selling all of them. a fun us tour with alot of friends and family coming to see me. my background was in classical, rock and jazz. schooling was at university of illinois, interlochen arts academy, and berklee college of music. yawyi was recorded after one of the tours with no live tracks. tinseltown rebellion had both a studio cut that i was on as well as a live cut or two. i am all over the shut up and play your guitar  series, as well as a few "best of" packages. i did work on some tracks that have not been released as well as a live album in philadelphia that was to come out on the you can't do that on stage anymore series. perhaps it might still be released by rycodisk. the other pieces you mention were just impromptu jams that frank turned into tunes. he gave me a lot of freedom within a certain context. he wanted to do a rock album like he used to do. overnight sensation was my favorite album and the stuff i did with him is close to that. my parting with fusion was mere economics. my goal has always been to play as many types of music as possible while being able to play live and record to make enough money to pay my bills. thank god, that is what i have been blessed with. frank's zurich intro was his form of humor based on the fact that i did not do drugs.  even though i am a christian, i have never been in a christian band as of yet. yes, i did stay in touch with him. he felt bad about letting vinnie back in the band and gave me alot of cash to ease his conscience. i was cool about it and he appreciated that. i went on to do alot of tv work for the next 8 years after that, but i did miss playing with him. he was great. nothing to add at the moment as i am being quite busy with all the different projects that i am involved with. sorry that i can't give you more detail, but so much happened the year and a half that i was with frank. it was the highlight of my career, but not the most fun or rewarding thing that i have ever done. i do thank god for the opportunity because it was a miracle that it all came about---no doubt about it.......<br>thanks,  david logeman <br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:52 am 

thats weird, he says he's on the shut up series..... ???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:01 am 

[quote author=johnoppel link=board=rant;num=1070497024;start=30#33 date=01/12/04 at 09:52:39]thats weird, he says he's on the shut up series..... ???[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, I don't think so, neither...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:06 am 

Most amazing story by Mr Nappy:<br><br>http://www.idiotbastard.supanet.com/interviews/NAPOLEON%20MURPHY%20BROCK,%2029.04.02.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:41 pm 

How Alice Cooper was auditioned for Straight Records <br>(sorry, a little bit out of topic, but funny enough)<br><br>Between guests, Zappa held auditions for his Bizarre and Straight record labels. One band from Phoenix, Alice Cooper, had been turned down by every record company and was going nowhere in a hurry. Fortunately, Cooper was dating Zappa’s babysitter, and so Zappa agreed to hear Cooper’s band at the cabin at 7 o’clock.<br><br>"We were so excited we got there at seven in the morning," says Cooper. "We set up in the living room and started playing our set. Frank came down the stairs with a cup of coffee, and he goes, ‘What the hell are you doing?’ You said seven. ‘Seven at NIGHT.’ So he listened to about four songs and he’s, ‘Okay okay, you’re signed, I’ll sign you.’"<br><br>Look at the full story - 'The Rock and Roll Treehouse': http://www.jackboulware.com/treehouse.html<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:53 pm 

I have posted a pic in the forum of Alice and I...just check out my last 50 posts... its in legends and fantasies... cut or uncut...<br><br>mom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:33 am 

Mom, you're so cool!<br>ARF,,,   ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:34 am 

Ed Mann:<br><br>we basically jammed - frank played some licks on the guitar and asked me to play them back on the marimba - frank put music to montana up in front of the marimba and asked me to read it - the room was kind of dark with red lites on so i didn't do a very good job but i guess he thought it was ok - we talked for 10 minutes and then frank said - ok - you want to join the band? after i gathered myself up off the floor and managed to get some air into my lungs i gasped - "sure!"<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:29 pm 

Ray White:<br><br>KVHW guitarist/singer Ray White, who played with Zappa in 1976 and '77, and again from 1980 through '84, was not atypical of his sidemen. "I'd never heard of Zappa in 1976," he recalls. "But one day a guy asked me to come to his house in the San Francisco projects and listen to this record. He put on 'Montana' and I thought, the guy who wrote this has to be the craziest white boy on the face of the planet. A week later, purely by coincidence, I was invited to audition with Frank. I walked in wearing my clogs, white beach pants, dashiki, and an afro about the size of Manhattan. He thought I was a Black Panther. I think I got the gig because I didn't know who he was." <br><br>Taken from:<br>http://www.jambands.com/apr99/features/zappa.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:36 pm 

Chester Thompson:<br><br>"The tour manager at the time was also from Baltimore, my hometown, and Frank was from Baltimore as well. I had known the tour manager before he ended up working with Frank, and Frank was looking for a second drummer because Ralph Humphrey was already playing in the band (as a drummer), and he wanted to specifically try a two drummer thing. So, I got an audition and he liked the way I played, and that was that."<br><br>Full interview with CT:<br>http://www.worldofgenesis.com/ChesterThompsonInterview2-2002.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:51 pm 

Albert Wing interviewed by Fred Banta:<br><br>FB: ... Well, how did you get in Frank's band?<br>AW: I'd known Frank for quite a long time through Bruce and Tom. Originally I'd auditioned for Frank's group back in '73 or '74. And actually he said that I had the gig.<br><br>FB: In '73?<br>AW: Yeah.<br><br>FB: Wow.<br>AW: And I auditioned on the (Bebop) "Tango" and played the (Bebop) "Tango" for him, and nailed that. And he said, "Wow, pretty impressive." Then I waited around for a half hour at the Sunset studios where they were rehearsing. And Frank came back and said "Sorry about telling you you're in the band, but we really can't afford you right now, you know." I don't know what all that was about, but I guess he'd had a meeting with his management, but he'd already had a sax player anyway, Napoleon Murphy Brock. So I guess they were looking for something else cause eventually he got Don Preston and Walt Fowler to do the gig, so I felt it was probably just a combination of a horns thing because if he already had a sax player, why have me, you know?<br><br>FB: Yeah.<br>AW: So anyway, we kept in contact throughout the years until '88. I mean we had meetings and he'd send me literature, this and that saying "I'm thinking about doing these pieces," which I'd always take them and learn the pieces, or try to learn them. Some were so hard, you know what I mean. It was like, "Wow, I think I need a rhythm section on this one". But I got them basically down and I'd try get them as good as I could without sitting there with the band. But nothing really ever happened until late '87, I mean when we started rehearsing. That's when it happened, so you know I was ready (laughs).<br><br>Full interview:<br>http://www.united-mutations.com/w/albert_wing_int.htm<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:14 am 

Thanks Woof,<br><br>most things I got were from this great site http://www.united-mutations.com<br>But some musicians stories are hard to be found there or elsewhere on the net.<br><br>has anyone ever seen the versions of Ruth Underwood, Sal Marquez, The Fowlers, some other 88 horn members???<br><br>ARF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:47 pm 

This is not exactly the tale about his audition but has something to do with it. Nevertheless, this is a very odd testmony... FZ on Ricky Lancelotti, the crazy 50-50 singer (from Lost Episodes liner notes):<br><br><br> said frank: "he auditioned for the band, passed, went home and got ripped, and broke his arm.  i said 'rick, you're not going to make the tour.'  he used to carry a .45.  he had a cassette in which he imitated 100 cartoon voices in 60 seconds. i thought he was really talented.  he wanted to get work as a cartoon voice guy, but never did.  o.d.'d.  an old new jersey tough guy."<br>at a particularly memorable 1972 hollywood palladium moi concert (of which zappa held fond recollections of lancelotti singing "smog sucker", the lion-maned vocalist favored the crowd with ferocious scat-singing whenever fz was inspired to beckon him from the wings.  frank would open and close his hand in a gesture symbolizing a talking mouth, and lancelotti would magically appear on stage and begin bellowing."<br><br><br><br><br><br>Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:14 am 

This one is about Frank Zappa :)<br><br>Jimmy Carl Black moved to California in 1964 and there he met Roy Estrada and Ray Collins and started the band called "The Soul Giants". When their  guitar player got drafted into the Army, Ray said he knew a guitar player named Frank Zappa, so they auditioned him and hired him. One month later, Frank took over as leader of the rockin' combo and the band was called "The Mothers".<br><br>JCB bio:<br>http://www.jimmycarlblack.com/Biography/bio.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:51 am 

[quote author=Woof link=board=rant;num=1070497024;start=30#41 date=01/17/04 at 14:36:07]Chester Thompson:<br><br>"So, I got an audition and he liked the way I played, and that was that."<br><br>Full interview with CT:<br>http://www.worldofgenesis.com/ChesterThompsonInterview2-2002.htm[/quote]<br><br>Frankly speaking, how would have been possible not to like Chester Thompson's playing ?<br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:19 am 

Yes .... Chester is great, indeed. Listen to him playing with Hermeto Pascoal on Mixing Pot (a track from the Slaves Mass album)...<br><br>Now a curious and notorious audition:<br><br>Matin Lickert<br><br>"fz: from the point that jeff simmons quit the group we had a bunch of     adventures trying to find somebody to replace him.  not only for the bass parts in the music, but to play the role that he was supposed to play in the film... which is a pretty large part.  and, uh... our first candidate for the role was wilfrid brambell, who played the grandfather in a hard day's night.  so wilfrid came over, tried out for the part, everything was set, he rehearsed with us for about a week and then one day came to the studio here and completely freaked out... and said that he couldn't handle it anymore.  so we went into the dressing room and sat around with the guys in the band and tried to figure out what we're gonna do 'bout replacing the replacement... and the first person that walked through the door was martin lickert.. who happened to be ringo's driver, and uh... everybody just turned and looked at him and we went ... "you!"<br>ml: i just went out to get some cigarettes for him one day and came back and walked into the dressing room and there's frank and the rest of the mothers and, uh... ringo, the other people... and i walked in the room and they all went, "yeah!"  and, "yeah what?" you know, "would, would you like to try jeff's part?" you know, so i just tried that, and it seemed to work okay.<br> ??: mm-mmh... <br><br>ml: so frank said would... you can play... play bass... you can try play into the group as well. <br><br>fz: so he took the script and he read it and it sounded good and then just quite by accident we found out that he was a bass player and that he's good for the part, is, uh... quite professional on screen and as a bass player he's not astonishing but, uh... he can make the parts."<br><br>ARF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:42 am 

Ruth Underwood story. <br><br>"I went to college for seven years and did everything by the books until I met Frank. His Absolutely Free show at the Garrick Theater changed my life. I no longer wanted to be a timpanist at the New York Philarmonic, or a virtuoso marimba soloist. All I ever wanted from that point on was to play Frank's music. One night my brother and I went to the Village Gate to hear Miles Davis. We were standing around waiting for show time and Frank was just walking down Bleecker Street. This was before bodyguards; he was just a guy on his way to work. My brother accosted him and said, "You should hear my sister play! She's a great marimbist!" I was totally embarrassed. Frank turned to me and said, "Fine. Bring your marimba backstage and we'll check ya out." The next thing I knew I was recording Uncle Meat at Apostolic Studios on East 10th Street. I was really active with him in the '70s. It was greatest experience of my life and the most difficult experience of my life. It was educational, and enriching, and also backbreaking, grueling, sometimes lonely, terrifying - it was fucking unbelieveble." <br><br>This story you can find in 'Electric Don Quixote' by Neil Slaven, p.101. and on a russian fanpage http://www.blues.ru/zappazuhoi/10june01.htm<br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:54 pm 

Although the Mothers have been in existence for about three years, the project was carefully planned about four and a half years ago. I had been looking for the right people for a long time. I was in advertising before I got into...ha... show business. I'd done a little motivational research. One of the laws of economics is that if there is a demand, somebody ought to supply that demand and they'll get rich. I composed a composite, gap-filling product that fills most of the gaps between so called serious music and the so-called popular music. Next, I needed my own group to present this music to the public. The group that was to become the Mothers....>>MORE?<<