Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 414  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
News flash: scientists in southern Nevada have discovered the missing link between Michael Jackson and Ronald McDonald...

Never guess he had plastic surgery, wouldya? (dig those crazy eyebrows!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:27 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
Trip wrote:

Dweezil just removed the picture from the Random Photos group.

He removed one of Special Ed's suggestions earlier today. You'd think a big rock star would have better things to do with his time.

What did Ed suggest ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:18 am 

I forget the exact wording. Something about ordering Trendy's tee shirt. A bogus address. Brown Rictus Enterprises, somewhere in NYC.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:21 am 

It's me I'm back

Insert the comma

How does Gary store his ice cream?
of course.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 pm 

Apollo 1 astronauts Ed White, Virgil Grissom and Roger Chaffee knew their spacecraft was seriously fucked up. Here they're shown jokingly "praying" for their safety.
All three were killed in an electrical fire in the command module, days before their scheduled launch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm 

The Wright Brothers, 17 December, 1903

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:41 pm 

Santos-Dumont 14-bis: On 23 October 1906, in Paris, France, it performed the first officially witnessed unaided takeoff and flight by a heavier-than-air aircraft.

14-bis vs. Wright Flyer
Controversy exists between supporters of the Wright Brothers and Santos Dumont about which aircraft, the 14-bis or Wright Flyer, was the first true airplane.

The 1903 Wright Flyer used a launch rail and undercarriage skids. After 1903 the Wrights added a catapult to assist most takeoffs of their 1904 and 1905 airplanes. The Santos-Dumont 14-bis did not use a catapult and ran on wheels.

The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale ("International Federation of Aeronautics"), founded in France in 1905 to "regulate the sport of flying", keeping track of aviation records and other aeronautical activities in the Western world, stated among its rules that an aircraft should be able to take off under its own power in order to qualify for a record. Therefore, some claim the 14-bis must be considered the first operational fixed-wing aircraft. Supporters of the Wright brothers emphasize that their aircraft made controlled, sustained, maneuvering flights a few years before Santos Dumont made his first takeoff.

A letter from Wilbur Wright to French Army Captain Ferdinand Ferber, says:

We had already seen by the picture in the New York Herald that the plane rests on three wheels and we deduce from this that Mr. Santos Dumont, in order to effect his take-off, has first to make a run over a long level field. With the aid of the starting-off pillar that we use, Orville and I speedily go right up into the air in a much more practical fashion... We are sure to find a lot in our favor if we come to exhibit in France; but the voyage and the transportation of the machine and the pillar cost much more money than the two poor mechanics can afford to spend; also, dear Captain Ferber, if French experts, under your management, desire to come to Dayton, we will give them a demonstration of the machine in a neighboring field, flying for five minutes in a complete circle and let them have an option of the performance and release of the machine, for $50,000, cash down.

Both aircraft made free, manned, powered flights. Authenticated written and photographic documentation by the Wrights shows that they made fixed-wing flights before Santos Dumont. Official records and motion picture documentation show that the 14-bis achieved unaided takeoff on wheels; Santos Dumont supporters claim that Flyer takeoffs were not unaided. Patriotic pride heavily influences opinions of the relative importance and practicality of each aircraft.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Santos-Dumont 14-bis: On 23 October 1906, in Paris, France, it performed the first officially witnessed unaided takeoff and flight by a heavier-than-air aircraft.

14-bis vs. Wright Flyer
Controversy exists between supporters of the Wright Brothers and Santos Dumont about which aircraft, the 14-bis or Wright Flyer, was the first true airplane.

The 1903 Wright Flyer used a launch rail and undercarriage skids. After 1903 the Wrights added a catapult to assist most takeoffs of their 1904 and 1905 airplanes. The Santos-Dumont 14-bis did not use a catapult and ran on wheels.

The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale ("International Federation of Aeronautics"), founded in France in 1905 to "regulate the sport of flying", keeping track of aviation records and other aeronautical activities in the Western world, stated among its rules that an aircraft should be able to take off under its own power in order to qualify for a record. Therefore, some claim the 14-bis must be considered the first operational fixed-wing aircraft. Supporters of the Wright brothers emphasize that their aircraft made controlled, sustained, maneuvering flights a few years before Santos Dumont made his first takeoff.

We had already seen by the picture in the New York Herald that the plane rests on three wheels and we deduce from this that Mr. Santos Dumont, in order to effect his take-off, has first to make a run over a long level field. With the aid of the starting-off pillar that we use, Orville and I speedily go right up into the air in a much more practical fashion... We are sure to find a lot in our favor if we come to exhibit in France; but the voyage and the transportation of the machine and the pillar cost much more money than the two poor mechanics can afford to spend; also, dear Captain Ferber, if French experts, under your management, desire to come to Dayton, we will give them a demonstration of the machine in a neighboring field, flying for five minutes in a complete circle and let them have an option of the performance and release of the machine, for $50,000, cash down.

Both aircraft made free, manned, powered flights. Authenticated written and photographic documentation by the Wrights shows that they made fixed-wing flights before Santos Dumont. Official records and motion picture documentation show that the 14-bis achieved unaided takeoff on wheels; Santos Dumont supporters claim that Flyer takeoffs were not unaided. Patriotic pride heavily influences opinions of the relative importance and practicality of each aircraft.

Don't forget about uncle Ricky

Richard William Pearse (3 December 1877 – 29 July 1953) was a New Zealand farmer and inventor who performed pioneering experiments in aviation.

It is claimed Pearse flew and landed a powered heavier-than-air machine on 31 March 1903, some nine months before the Wright brothers flew their aircraft.[1] The documentary evidence to support such a claim remains open to interpretation, and Pearse did not develop his aircraft to the same degree as the Wright brothers, who achieved sustained controlled flight.[2] Pearse himself never made such claims, and in an interview he gave to the Timaru Post in 1909 only claimed he did not "attempt anything practical...until 1904".[3]

Pearse himself was not a publicity-seeker and also occasionally made contradictory statements, which for many years led some of the few who knew of his feats to offer 1904 as the date of his first flight. The lack of any chance of industrial development, such as spurred the Wrights to develop their machine, seems to have suppressed any recognition of Pearse's achievements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

14-bis vs. Wright Flyer

Don't forget about uncle Ricky

Richard William Pearse (3 December 1877 – 29 July 1953) was a New Zealand farmer and inventor who performed pioneering experiments in aviation.

It is claimed Pearse flew and landed a powered heavier-than-air machine on 31 March 1903, some nine months before the Wright brothers flew their aircraft.[1] The documentary evidence to support such a claim remains open to interpretation, and Pearse did not develop his aircraft to the same degree as the Wright brothers, who achieved sustained controlled flight.[2] Pearse himself never made such claims, and in an interview he gave to the Timaru Post in 1909 only claimed he did not "attempt anything practical...until 1904".[3]

Pearse himself was not a publicity-seeker and also occasionally made contradictory statements, which for many years led some of the few who knew of his feats to offer 1904 as the date of his first flight. The lack of any chance of industrial development, such as spurred the Wrights to develop their machine, seems to have suppressed any recognition of Pearse's achievements.

Nice, ghost!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am 

Whoever shot that cat deserves a night with Lorena Bobbitt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:59 pm 

Pope Jim wrote:
Whoever shot that cat deserves a night with Lorena Bobbitt.

Now thats an assignation I'd love to arrange :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:09 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 414  Next