Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are you a Deadhead...?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation?

Well, is there a Zappa/Dead correlation....?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm 

I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I like the Dead and have seen many shows, although mostly, ya know, when they were still around. I'd still see a show, but wouldn't go out of my way. I've always been more of a Weir fan than anyone else in the band. Also, there are still some people around here that try to uphold the LA vs SF rivalry, not me though.

BTW... you can be fairly confident that jp will stop by at some point to tell you how he feels. He isn't a fan.

People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

No. Unless you consider meandering 2nd rate blues music to be the equal of professional musicianship.

"Hey, like, if you go to all the Dead concerts, in 1 of 3 the band will be like in sync and really grooving and shit!" -actual quote from a Deadhead manger of mine. He used to light up after the store closed, right there in the office.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

People who don't use drugs usually aren't Dead fans. That's just a FACT Arkay. I tried the marijuana or the weed or whatever you call it one time, and I like a couple Dead songs.

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I HAVE TO pick it up! The obvious question you pose is "Just how much do you need to smoke to enjoy or at least tolerate all of their albums?". Europe '72 has been a favorite album since I first got the triple vinyl in the 80s. But, nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

You know I'm a kidder Arkay. I'm sure there are Dead fans out there that have never partaken. But I haven't met one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:18 pm 

...nohow can I deal with some albums like Anthem of the Sun. Now, I know where yer going with this cal... jimmie d has whole personal stories about Anthem of the Sun, so how much... well, you'll be glad to know that when I met him, there was zero. Hmmm, there were stories though...

Anthem Of The Sun is my absolute favorite Grateful Dead album. Their first album is my second favorite. Live/Dead is my third favorite. I don't have any other favorites, only some that I prefer over many. I love their live cover of All Along The Watchtower.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm 

i like the Dead , very accomplished musicians, some lps i like better than others, some live shows were great some not, same with airplane. As far as the musicians, I prefer Garcia/ Grisman , and Hot Tuna to JA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 pm 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
Is there a Zappa/Dead correlation

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 pm 

I can't claim to be one. In fact I loathed that band for a couple of decades. I just thought that they were all long drawn out thinly played jams. I didn't have a full understanding of some of their other things. However I realize that my stubborn attitude is changing bit by bit and I will sometimes check out some of their Sirius XM channel for about 50 miles while cruising down the road. If I had to pick a GD era in which I'd like to explore more it would be 1970-1973.

My leaf could turn over.

You just don't understand, You're from Kalamazoo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 am 

The only Dead I have repeatedly played is Anthem of the Sun, and American Beauty.
:smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:

NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Florentine Pogen wrote:

NO! And don't ever use them in the same sentance EVER again.

Don't be a party-pooper! I like the Dead quite a bit, especially their 'jazzier' material such as Eyes of the World and Help on the Way / Slipknot!. Blues for Allah is my favorite album. Mars Hotel is a great album too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:11 am 

Not really my cup o tea, but a friend of mine recommended this - he's RAVING about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguGHFOnzaA#t=36
TT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:14 pm 

The correlation? They play similar instruments and frank probably influenced every electric rock band that ever existed. Other than that I don't know. I got into them around Europe 72' / workingmans dead ; solid albums. Showed us kids that country music could be cool with free improv in the middle of them. Their shows were an absolute happening. You felt the energy it was epic as they say. I denounced them from about 85 till recently. I just couldn't be part of the church of the dead. I mean we already had Hendrix to idolize I didn't need those goofballs.I would not let their music near me. Couldn't stand to hear another note or see another tripped out trustafarian in smelly patchouli and patched clothes embroidered in skulls and roses. It was superficial to me when there was so much more music I was interested in. I needed to experience and learn much more. Apparently heroin hit that scene and destroyed it. That being said coming back to their music is just fine. There are good songs. robert hunter Is a brilliant lyricist, and have some cool odd time signature things. Theres substance there.

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm 

I Wont buy one of they Albums too save my life :evil: :mrgreen:
Boring outdated Crap.

Though looking at Garcia Play it Looks like he forgot more than way above average :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzawDpF72eg
Grateful Dead - Live at Farm Aid 1986

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 pm 

I quite enjoy "Europe 72'" as well. :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm 

Their business practices suck now. Let's release half the demand we have for each release, so we can create an overblown used market on the internet. I'd like to think Garcia wouldn't approve of that shit, but who knows.