Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:31 pm 

well in my case, my 17 year old brother's friend brought over a bunch of cd's and one of them was strictly commercial. a few days later i found it in my music library and that was all i could listen too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:32 pm 

heard over-nite sensation and i was hooked AFAICT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:03 pm 

I was stoned and heard Hot Rats Album that was the starter of my new life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:16 pm 

My dad told me about this guy called Frank Zappa who played really wierd music. I spent 3 months listening to 30 second samples on amazon.com before a friend of mine bought Bongo Fury for me, recommended to him by his Dad who was a big Zappa fan back in the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 pm 

there must be a secret underground network of dads

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:07 pm 

holy shit that would be a kickass band name

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:28 pm 

By now I probably dislike compilation discs as much as others here, but it was Strictly Commercial which got me hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:20 am 

I saw the BBC television special on FZ back in 1993 and got hooked instantly. Went to the local library to lend some Zappa discs and out of all... I picked "Man From Utopia" :|. Still one of my least favorites, but the next week I borrowed Hot Rats and that sealed the deal. Been a fan ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:04 am 

A friend of a friend liked Zappa and got me into him as well, around 1999. It was Peaches that I first heard, and was amazed by it. I figured if his other stuff was half as good as that, it was well worth a listen. Not only was it as good, it gets better. There's still so much more I haven't heard. Apostrophe and Sheik were the first full albums that I listened to fully, then I went out and bought them, followed by Joe's Garage and many many more since! Now my Daughter, at 9 years old, is a fan too and has Zappa on her mp3 player, start 'em early, it always works..!

Post subject: Bless ya brother!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:39 am 

In about 1974 my older brother played me Over-nite Sensation. Then he took me to see Frank at the forum in L.A. on new years eve, that same year I think. Maybe '75. Apostrophe and Roxy came out that year I think too and I was fully immersed and listening to Zappa almost exclusively by the time Bongo Fury was released. It ws a great time to be alive I must say. Around the same time he also turned me on to Stanley Clark, George Duke, Rick Wakeman, Ian Anderson, Holst and Stravinsky. Bless ya Bro! I'll always be indebted to you for the music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:10 am 

I think when I was about 11 (1996), my uncle had a copy of Jazz from Hell and played it in his car while he was washing it. I was wonder "What the hell is this?" and kind of ignored it. About 4 years past and I remember downloading a track called "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" (the edit w/ Nanook) and thought it was hilarious. I think around that sameyear, VH1 did a countdown host called 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock and Frank was mentioned. I remember hearing that snippet of "Peaches.." and going, "Whoa, what was that!". I frantically went a search of anything I could find and went out and bought Zappa in New York just for the hell of it... completely blew the top of my head off. I was captivated by what Frank was doing guitar wise, I picked up the guitar not too long after that (among other instruments), and musically, saying to myself "How can he get away with that?", "How did he do that?", "How is that possible?". From then on I've been hooked, and I even try to turn others on to Zappa to experience what I did. Of course the feedback was negative ("What the fuck is this... Weird Al?"), but it didn't spoil it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:29 pm 

My uncle was a fan. So I guess through osmosis would be my answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:48 pm 

I just happened to read some article on him (post-mortem) in a newspaper. Sounded like an interesting weird guy, especially for a rock star. I was 10 at the time. Then, in the summer of 1995 i got a Mothermania-ish compilation on cassette and was hooked on that shit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:53 pm 

yeah, already been posted...

anyway... I was 11, it was the summer of '68, my older brother came home one day with two new LP's.
'Freak Out' and 'Absolutely Free.'
Need I say more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:35 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
yeah, already been posted...

anyway... I was 11, it was the summer of '68, my older brother came home one day with two new LP's.
Need I say more?

Sounds great as the similar sounds caught my ears at the very same age too, but how long did it take you to embrace Lumpy Gravy from that point on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:48 am 

first time i listend to zappa 1983 off my older brothers yawyi album

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 am 

hearing why does it hurt when i pee, seeing most of bbsnx for the first time made me wonder what WAS THE WORLD COMING TO?!! but then I heard woiift$$ and I went WHA? and then OHHHH!!, OOOOHHH!
Well, the week later after explaining this to a friend who had been a fan since way back, he got a big grin on his face and proceeded to show me his zappa collection [Later he became the mayor of our town]. well, I was floored. I listened to burnt weeny sandwich that day and by the time it was over, knew I had to have all of it. It took some years. Joe's Garage was one of the first I actually purchased, on Zappa records

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:55 am 

a bass player that recorded me a Gong tape filled the remaining space with some Zappa songs from You Are What You Is and Chunga's Revenge I didn't pay much attention to them but as the tape kept on playing, the songs were getting carved into my subconcious so after a short while I found myself humming and singing bits of them and getting some of the jokes.
After that i Bought Ahead of their Time and You are What You is and there was no turning back, from 1997 till 1999 I bought the whole catalog current at the time and there was nothing else I could seriously listen to in those years...

It Changed My life and whole perspective for music and entertainment for ever.

Thank You So Much Uncle Frank!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:07 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I was 11, it was the summer of '68, my older brother came home one day with two new LP's.
Need I say more?

Aybe Sea wrote:
Sounds great as the similar sounds caught my ears at the very same age too, but how long did it take you to embrace Lumpy Gravy from that point on?

I embraced all of the early Zappa albums the first time I heard them. Being a young boy in Sweden, it took me some time to understand all the words, though. My brother helped me out with some, and the rest just came along over the years, as I took English at school.
These were the years when, imo, the best in rock music was made. I'd say that the period 1965-mid 70's, is the most creative period for all rock music (in all its forms).
Of course, there's been some good stuff since then, but this period is unsurpassed when it comes to creativity and imagination, as far as I am concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:25 am 

11?
Dear god... Couldn't your parents have done somenthing about it then?

The first song I ever heard was Tears Began to Fall from the white album. On the radio. I thought it was utter crap.

I was 16 and convinced that the MOI were I bunch of morons (judging on that one song that still is not my favorite today, I didn't get to hear anything else at the time).

But then a friend dragged me into Billy the Montain and after playing JABFLA non-stop for days in a row, there was no turning back.
1974 I saw my first venue, then 76, 78, 84 and finally 88.
And now the Dweez...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:26 am 

My dad is responsible for introducing me to Frank's music, and a lot of other great music also. Three of Frank's greatest albums, the first being Joe's Garage, the other two Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation. I was about 13 at the time, and Frank's music was somewhat alien to me but once I had a better understanding of it, from then on I was hooked... I got the habit, I've got to have it.

they never won't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 am 

Well, speaking of sons. I dragged mine to watch Dweezil.
He was amazed. But he's genetically manipulated of course. Did a presentation in lower high school about Steve's Spanking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:59 am 

my dad would send away for those Warner/Reprise sampler albums for a buck apiece back in the late 60s and early seventies. They had some Zappa on them (along with The Fugs and Jimi Hendrix and Alice Cooper and a huge variety of other, completely different things on them) that I would listen to over and over again... then I spent a summer with my aunt and uncle on their Tennessee farm which was very isolated from everything and he had apostrophe(') and I listened to that a lot and then the following spring my 15 y/o self went the his very first rock concert... Zappa/Mothers/Beefheart "Bongo Fury" tour... holy shit! it was all over for me from there on out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:35 am 

Used to be a very heavy-duty die-hard Primus fan, and I wanted to check into their influences. One day my sister got Cheap Thrills. Shortly after I got Son Of Cheep Thrills, and got hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:06 pm 

Have told this story before,but,what the heck,here goes: It was 1967,Muskegon, Michigan. Then I was 15,& terribly bored.In town a record store had those listening-booths where you could listen to records to see if you liked them.So I took this strange-looking double album,day-glow red & blue showing a group of guys that didn't care about shaving that much.Above them, a short essay on 'freaking out'.Then hearing 'Hungry Freaks,Daddy'.But it was the 'Help,I'm A Rock' part of the album that did it for me...I think the people running the record shop were glad to get rid of it...Thereafter,I couldn't wait for a new Zappa release.I don't think my mother appreciated me playing ceaselessly this strange music composed by this ugly,articulate entity with the Italian name.I mean,Jim Morrison & the Doors were bad enough,But the MOTHERS?